New DIY project released! The 1985 Guitar Synth

Started by Freppo, December 10, 2018, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi folks!

I'm releasing a new Parasit Studio DIY project today - The 1985 Guitar Synth

It's an Attiny85 based square wave fuzz with both octaves down, octaves up and detuned modes in both directions.
The octave up oscillator is based on a frequency counter and can get very glitchy sounding, like a dying R2-D2...  ;D
It also has a fun hidden extra feature that has something to do with the year 1985...

I'm not entierly happy with the demo. So many octave combinations that I didn't touch. But you get the idea. :)

I hope you like it!

You can find more info, PCB, pre-programmed chips, schematic, hex-files ect. at:
www.parasitstudio.se

Here's a gutshot

Cheers
/ Fredrik, Parasit Studio
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Joncaster

This made me go put two Attiny85's in my cart for my next parts order!

So cool, thank you!
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

thermionix

Quote from: Freppo on December 10, 2018, 09:04:14 AM
It also has a fun hidden extra feature that has something to do with the year 1985...

QuoteThere's also a hidden feature! Hint: It will activate at power up (or by pressing the optional reset switch) if the octave switches are set in a certain position...

Does it start playing cheesy hair metal power ballads?  That's about all I can remember from 1985.

digi2t

Nice! Sounds so...... so...... Schumannesque.

I'm a sucker for a noise maker. They are to me, what yarn is to a cat. :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Freppo

Quote from: thermionix on December 10, 2018, 01:32:18 PM
Does it start playing cheesy hair metal power ballads?  That's about all I can remember from 1985.

No, but that would be pretty funny...
I guess you will have to build it to find out.  8)

Freppo

thermionix

I remembered something else from 1985.  Back to the Future.  Do we get to hear the sound of a flux capacitor?  An exploding speaker cone?  Or are we talking actual time travel?

Freppo

The 1985 Guitar Synth hidden feature revealed...

You can probably guess what it is just by looking at the video thumbnail. :)

Coding the hidden feature actually took alot of time. The actual guitar effect code took less then 10% of the program memory, but the tune itself took needed all the remaining space. I even had to cut down the track to make it fit.

I hope that you enjoy the novelty feature. :)

More info, PCB, schematic, pre-programmed chips, HEX file ect. avaliable at:
www.parasitstudio.se

Cheers
/ Fredrik

Quote from: thermionix on December 14, 2018, 02:44:07 PM
I remembered something else from 1985.  Back to the Future.  Do we get to hear the sound of a flux capacitor?  An exploding speaker cone?  Or are we talking actual time travel?

Haha, good guess, but you missed the obvious giveaway on the pedal graphics..  ;D 8)

Paul Marossy

Cool. 15 years ago I wanted to make a guitar synth that can get that Pat Metheny sound, but I think I went about it the wrong way. I still would like to do that one though... maybe I ought to re-visit that project.

Freppo

Anyone got suggestions for another midi song that would be fun to have in a pedal?  ;D

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 14, 2019, 11:29:16 AM
Cool. 15 years ago I wanted to make a guitar synth that can get that Pat Metheny sound, but I think I went about it the wrong way. I still would like to do that one though... maybe I ought to re-visit that project.

Cool. You should go for it. :)