Vector files for laser etching question

Started by Blooze, January 14, 2019, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blooze

I have a local (re. very small) trophy shop that can do laser etching similar to the Yeti mug stuff. I can make a .eps file for them in photoshop, but was wondering the best way to make sure everything lines up on the pedal?

stallik

View/show rulers then drag a guide down from the ruler. That gives you a simple way to line things up either horizontally or vertically.

And welcome
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Blooze

Quote from: stallik on January 14, 2019, 04:15:17 PM
View/show rulers then drag a guide down from the ruler. That gives you a simple way to line things up either horizontally or vertically.

And welcome

Thanks. It's best to print it out first like with any other graphic I'm assuming? I don't know anything about how the laser engravers work so I wasn't sure how they line up my graphic with the box.

Rixen

I'm guessing it might be an idea to place some alignment marks on your enclosure. The engraver should be able to line up reference points onto those before using the big gun...

stallik

Ah, I misunderstood. It's worth asking the engraver but cropping the image to 1mm or so of the enclosure top size may be enough. That works for printing but I'm not sure about engraving.
While you're talking to him, check the file requirements. eps files can contain both vector and bitmap elements. If he needs one or the other, this will inform your creation process.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Blooze

Quote from: stallik on January 14, 2019, 08:12:55 PM
Ah, I misunderstood. It's worth asking the engraver but cropping the image to 1mm or so of the enclosure top size may be enough. That works for printing but I'm not sure about engraving.
While you're talking to him, check the file requirements. eps files can contain both vector and bitmap elements. If he needs one or the other, this will inform your creation process.

She said they a vector eps would be best. It will minimize the setup cost the closer I can get it to what they can work with since this is a one-off. I wonder if I crop close to the edge and use the center of the already drilled holes as references if that will be enough. I'm going to send her a file first and we'll go from there. I appreciate all the suggestions!

stallik

Photoshop is mostly about bitmaps with some vector elements. If it's just text you need, you should be ok but watch out for font issues. Encapsulate post script files are saved with a reference to the font used but do not include them. You may have to send the font along with your file if you use something outside of the standard set.
Don't be tempted to use effects on text as this will almost always convert it to a bitmap.

Blooze

Ah, I just have photoshop with all my photography stuff and thought it'd be easier to use it.  I may still have an old version of Illustrator (CS4) around from a long time ago, but if not would using something like Inkscape be a better option?  The lady I spoke with asked for an .EPS file.

lukewarm58

Quote from: Blooze on January 15, 2019, 09:44:10 AM
... would using something like Inkscape be a better option?
I won't be so bold as to say Inkscape will be a better option, but it is certainly a reasonable option (I think it is a very handy program). Saving your SVG file as an .eps with Inkscape is easy enough (just go to "Save As"). Another thing you can do is convert your text into vectors (select the text, the go to Path -> Object to Path). That way you don't have to worry about sending the engraving shop your font files.

I'd be curious to know how the engraving shop decides to locate your graphics on the enclosure. I take it your enclosure is pre-drilled for pots, footswitches, leds, etc.?

Blooze

Yes, it's a pre-drilled powder-coated 125B from Mammoth.  Having them be able to line everything up is my main concern.

stallik

Illustrator or Inkscape would be a better option if you have access to them.
If so, carefully measure the enclosure top and place all the holes etc on one layer. Create your graphics on other layers, then, when you're happy with the result, disable the 'guide' layer and save. Creating outlines of fonts is a bulletproof workflow

Regarding alignment, most systems use top left of the file as the base point. When you're printing the top, you have to take into account the shape of the enclosure which is smaller at the top than the bottom. Perhaps there is a different method for setting the start point on an engraver. It's worth asking the operator

There are peeps here that do this themselves. Perhaps one will pipe in.. :)

Electric Warrior

Quote from: stallik on January 15, 2019, 02:11:14 AM
Photoshop is mostly about bitmaps with some vector elements. If it's just text you need, you should be ok but watch out for font issues. Encapsulate post script files are saved with a reference to the font used but do not include them. You may have to send the font along with your file if you use something outside of the standard set.
Don't be tempted to use effects on text as this will almost always convert it to a bitmap.

You can simply convert the text into a shape by right clicking the layer.

old printer

I run a couple Epilog lasers at a sign shop, but have spent a good amount of time in an engraving shop working on customer supplied objects. A good printout of the pedal area to be engraved, with the graphic in the proper position, will go a long way. I put masking tape or clear acetate over the area and run a light pass to adjust position. A lot will depend on the operator and how fussy they are. Alignment and setup takes far more time than the actual engrave. Plus 1 for converting fonts to curves. Dave