Project development: Creaky Floor

Started by EBK, January 25, 2019, 09:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I built a quick version of the single vactrol circuit last night (I found two NSL-32 vactrols in my parts collection):

The results were so encouraging that I tore it apart to proceed with the two vactrol version without bothering to record a sound demo (I'll be able to make the same sound in the two vactrol version by leaving the return jack disconnected).   :icon_razz:

The sound was reminiscent of the trick of rapidly toggling a pickup selector switch to cut the sound in and out.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

The updated FSR pulse generator circuit schematic (MUCH simpler), with resistor values added:

I'll sketch up the other half a bit later.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Here is the other half of the circuit as it exists on my breadboard:

Edit:  I need to redraw this so it doesn't look so weird with how the send/return jacks are placed.   :icon_wink:
Here is a more logical arrangement of the same schematic:

It works, and it is pretty interesting.  Hopefully, I'll be able to record a demo with sound soon.  To quickly test it, I ran clean guitar into the input and hooked a tubescreamer at max gain through the send/return loop.   :icon_twisted:

One quirk that I will have to think more about is that, with no force applied to the FSR, no LEDs are lit, and thus, no signal comes out.  This may be useful in some circumstances, so I may implement a toggle switch that optionally "corrects" this.

The thing that excites me the most about this project is that I finally get to share something new and original (as far as I know, anyway) with the community.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Here's a demo with some sound.  I apologize for the low volume (didn't want to wake up my family).  In this video, I have the send/return loop connected to my mutron iii envelope filter, which gives this thing some cool trippy results.  :icon_biggrin:
https://youtu.be/fXE0LhsIjqE

And here is one more demo, with a tube screamer this time:

https://youtu.be/2ceN_CLJLpU
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Next, I need to tackle lining up the FSR underneath this (with something in between to protect the FSR and distribute the force across its surface):

Once I do that, I can try playing a guitar with both hands while controlling this circuit to see if there might be musical potential in this wacky idea. 

That actuator is avalable from smallbear:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/switch-actuator-for-b-o-b/

I got the FSR there too, by the way:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-membrane-force-sensor-mf-01/
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Looks like the space between the actuator's external spring and the lid of the enclosure is pretty close to $2 USD (in US quarters) or 14mm. 
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

very cool, DIY "mash" switching, eat yer hearts out TC Elec
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

EBK

Quote from: garcho on January 30, 2019, 11:30:24 AM
very cool, DIY "mash" switching, eat yer hearts out TC Elec
Wanna know the best part?

It works!

I'll have to add up the amount of change I used in the end.  :icon_razz:  Edit: Eight US quarters, with the FSR sandwiched between the top two.

More importantly though, an extra secret ingredient was required to get it working.  When I squeezed the FSR between my fingers, it worked perfectly.  When I squeezed it between two coins?  Nothing!  What was needed? Some blu tack.  I put some of that on each side of the FSR, and it worked. 

More demos soon!  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2019, 12:18:49 PM
When I squeezed it between two coins?  Nothing!  What was needed? Some blu tack.

I'm guessing your coins were shorting out the FSR?  But repeated squishing of blutac will make it thinner and thinner, until...

I'd use a simple piece of paper.  Or a dollar bill.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

It appeared to be the opposite problem.  I theorize that, by being so rigid, the coins only contacted the FSR properly over a small surface area (due to the relief in the images on the coin faces).  The result was nearly no change in resistance from the zero-force high resistance. The blu tack filled in the spaces, allowing more uniform pressure.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

The spring on the actuator is getting a bit out of shape from freely sliding around on top of the stack of quarters.

To solve this, I've decided to dig out my manual 3D printer: JB Weld and miscellaneous hardware.  :icon_razz:

• SUPPORTER

highwater

With blu-tack and JB weld in there, it really needs duct-tape now for the cob-jobprototype trifecta.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

marcelomd

Nice!
You can also try plastic or hot glue (just a drop on a surface, let it harden) washers. Blu tack would slowly creep out with repeated presses.

EBK

Quote from: highwater on February 02, 2019, 01:59:14 AM
With blu-tack and JB weld in there, it really needs duct-tape now for the cob-jobprototype trifecta.
The stack of quarters is held together and attached to the lid using gaffers tape (seriously).  :icon_cool: :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: marcelomd on February 02, 2019, 06:04:11 AM
Nice!
You can also try plastic or hot glue (just a drop on a surface, let it harden) washers. Blu tack would slowly creep out with repeated presses.
I might try to find some rubber gasket material next.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

as R.G. might say, "mouse pad, cobber!"
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on February 02, 2019, 09:00:07 AM
as R.G. might say, "mouse pad, cobber!"
Maybe if I can find one of those super thin ones.... 
I'm thinking jar lid gripper at the moment.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I found a thin mousepad in my office, and I cut some circles out of it for testing.

If this works, it would save me $0.75 because the two pad discs (when uncompressed) are the same thickness as three quarters.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

I was going to suggest neoprene. Time to hack that gimp suit up Eric :)
Or maybe some rubber 1/2" tap washers.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

EBK

Ok, preliminary results suggest the mousepad is too soft.... 

The actuator has a very limited travel distance to go from minimum to maximum loading force. The mousepad couldn't even deliver the amount of force needed to light the first LED.  I need something that more closely approximates a thin layer of blu tack.  My present thought, based on my observations of the extent that the blu tack spread out, is that blu tack is in the lead.
  • SUPPORTER