Troubleshooting Aion Refractor Klone and Aqua Puss clones

Started by ckim715, February 13, 2019, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

I have a really interesting predicament...my Aion Refractor and Madbean Aquaboy both work, but they seem to not get along. When I engage both the refractor and the aquaboy, often I will get what I can only describe as a staticy noise on the repeat of certain notes, and I can't really discern whether it is separate from the note repeat or if it's a headroom issue. It happens when I really dig into the guitar string...am I overloading the input of the Aquaboy? I am using low output single coils, and I can't see overloading the AB with just a klone...

idy

Do other boosters do the same thing? Yes a Klon is designed to give a pretty bold signal that can overload things, preferably an amp and not a delay pedal. Some people put a booster after a delay for this reason (or others.) Does turning the Refractor down to unity gain get rid of the issue?

How sure are you about the biasing of the BBDs?

ckim715

Yeah as I suspected, it's a headroom issue. When I turn the volume of the klone down, the static goes away. I'm going to use a madbean road rage and bump up the AquaBoy to 15v and see if that resolves the issue.