meet 'weetie pi

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 27, 2019, 12:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

so when do i get to hear it larry? do i need to send ya some parts?
your build looks AWESOME!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

took it out last nite and rocked the piss out of it.

this little sucker really boogies!! was surprised how many tones i could wrangle from it... even sounded good thru my rhythm guitarists' shitty little line 6 with the 8 inch speaker.
anyways..
its done. i can't think of more to do to it, so here's the final schematic. peace!

if you build this, please let me know your thoughts. thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Rob Strand

FYI, you missed the 3k3 on the voice pot.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

pinkjimiphoton

hahaha so i did! hannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng on....

at least i drew the resistor in for a change ;)
all  fixed!!

thanks for the catch bro!

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

since i finally fixed my princeton  :icon_rolleyes:

i can hear what the hell is going on and NOT from my amp ;)
so i had a play with this last nite

found it sounded best without the 4.7n treble peakers. so either omit them, or as i did, just clip them out of the circuit.
it still should have more than ample treble. but now it won't sound like an exploding vox, and has some ASS to it. intestinal fortitude!!

also... ditch the diode clipper at the end. it will gain some more ass, and frankly sound better. you COULD leave the diode opposing the 4739 at the end, which will  make it more fuzzy, but i think its better without those 4 parts.

sorry for any confusion. if ya build this, ommit them. if ya built it and don't like it, try it without them before binning the board!

thanks peeps... peace out
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

updated schematic and vero

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Marcos - Munky

Well, you guys did met Weetie Pi. So now meet the Stinky Pi :icon_lol:

Built it without the caps, but using the diodes. Maybe I remove them to check if it sounds better without them. Because of Jimi, I've used a pink led for the status led :icon_mrgreen: and also used another pink led as the clipping diode.

For my ears, it sounds like a mix of medium gain od and fuzz. Cleans pretty well with guitar volume. The voice pot goes from a low gain-ish od to a splatty-ish low gain fuzz, with medium gain od sounds between those settings. On mine, single low notes are sounding a little farting, maybe I had the wrong bias setting. Why don't I change the bias? Well, it's because this one is sounding cool on those single notes + 5th chords. And it gets better on "fuller" chords, it made my crappy amp sounds like a big amp! While it's distorted, you can clearly hear the notes of the chords.

Just go and build it, it's a great one!

pinkjimiphoton

bro, try a si or ge diode instead of the led for the clipping, and i bet the farty goes away. the 4739 can be anything ya got kicking around, but i think the led threshold may be a little high.
but as for the rest, yep, sounds like ya got it!!
glad you diggit bro. thanks so so much.
peace!

i still think sounds best without the treble peaker caps, and without the diode hardclipping at the end.  it does make it sound like a big amp. its a cool little toy. very sweet, for a fuzz, but decent sustain.

for setup, try this, its how i "tune" the circuit to each guitar...
turn the guitar down about to 3 or 4.
sweep the bias pot til ya get the "cleanest" slightly overdriven sound.
then the guitar will be tuned to the circuit, and it will interact best with the guitar knobs. ya don't HAVE to do that, but i found it the best way to be able to get the most useful tones out of it on the fly.

anyways. glad you diggit. peace!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

btw... dude... NICE BUILD!! ;)

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Marcos - Munky

Actually, the pink led threshold is so high my component tester identifies it as a cap rather than a diode :icon_lol:

Swapped it for a 1N914, and the farting is gone, but the great chord sound is still there. And I won't mess with the bias setup, don't want to miss that big chord sound because I changed the bias but didn't found the sweet spot again :icon_twisted:.

One thing that is may worth a try is to reduce the gain of the circuit and add another photon phuzz stage at the end. To my ears, it sounds a little bit compressed, just a little bit, so lowering the gain and adding an extra stage will solve that compression and gives some extra gain. But the compression may be because I still have the diodes and used somehow high hfe transistors.

pinkjimiphoton

yeah, the photon phuzz thing actually is kinda hip... 3 seems to be the magick number. make the bias pots trimmers, dial each stage the way ya like it and its basically a flying spaghetti monster i think,... or maybe ancient prophet? so many fuzzes over the years ;)

i thought the led was causing the fartiness. glad its straight now!

i bet if ya added a pot between e and ground with a big freekin cap off the wiper to ground, it would let ya dial back the gain of the q some to help get that "Sweet spot".
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

hey peeps,
i just wanted to post a slight modification to the circuit.

first, ditch the 1k output, and put 100k in there. now it will have more beef.

second, i found a bat 41 diode clipper at the end of the circuit to ground gave a real nice compression to it, and made the fuzzyness sing a little more. you may wanna try them,  other diodes i tried sounded ok, but in this circuit, they got a slight bit of a midrange ring to the distortion that i think really caps it off well.

you know me. always searchin for the perfect fuzz. this one's cool, and much better with the minor mods. i'll try n update the graphics tomorrow. peace
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr