Tayda UV Printing - Gloss layer question

Started by ForkliftJeff, January 01, 2024, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForkliftJeff

Hey all. I've been thinking of making the switch from water slide decals and clear coat, to Tayda's UV printing service. I've got my graphics ready for Tayda using Illustrator but am curious about the gloss layer. I will be using grey or silver powder coated enclosures and my graphics are just black. I'm wondering if I need a gloss layer. Does anyone know if the black ink shows up glossy or flat?

Here's a pic of my 2 pedal designs so far using water slide decals.

bluelagoon

The Tayda UV print black is not a real Gloss, but neither is it a flat Black, it has a bit of a sheen to it,
maybe semi gloss.
The only reason you would really want to pay extra for the gloss coat is to allow your graphics to probably out live yourself before wearing off. other than that the uv prints are pretty robust and well adhered to the enclosure.
If you were going to do the gloss coat you can either do a full enclosure top face cover of gloss or alternately just to cover your black art work.
There are 2 types of clear top coats available, one is -GLOSS-V the other GLOSS-M
Gloss-V = Gloss-Varnish which is a shiny top coat, the other is Gloss-M = Gloss -Matt
The gloss is a nice touch sometimes, but the extra expense is a bit harsh. One other thing is you can also put down a pattern type effect in the actual gloss top coat which gives a raised pattern embossed type finish on the effect box