ASTROSIM (cab simulator)

Started by deadastronaut, February 01, 2019, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwartz

That "dual sallen key" filter on the HT5....never seen that before...
So many ways to peel a cat!!!
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Rob Strand

QuoteThat "dual sallen key" filter on the HT5....never seen that before...
So many ways to peel a cat!!!
It pops up now and then.   IIRC it's in the Eden bass amps.
Works best when the HPF and LPF cut-off frequencies are far apart.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

I think I'm going to try building this sometime in the nearish future (inserting it high into my queue).  I found in my stash one NE5532 and two NE5534 chips (single op amp package, but with supposedly better noise performance -- I haven't looked at the datasheets).  Any suggestions as to which parts of the circuit I should use the NE5534s, assuming I would ever be brave enough to disregard Rob's explicit admonishment, "NE5532 ONLY"?   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

anotherjim

Cooked to perfection.
I dunno if C1 is drawn the wrong side of R2 in the scheme? Otherwise, the protection diode is half blocking C1 from helping.
Chips other than the NE5532 could work, but they can be more expensive and rarer, especially in the uk.
We've seen some more modern high-performance audio driver op-amps don't like resistor bias dividers. You could try LM833 or RC4580 etc if you want. I've seen the 4580 used in commercial products either for phones and balanced drive.

pinkjimiphoton

a 5534 is just a single OA version of the 5532. if ya like one, you'll like the other.

ca3140 ez is a cool chip i been playing with that may work well in single OA situations, it will work on stupid low voltages and can go half a volt below the rail without farting. cool chip, check it out!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Rob Strand

QuoteQuote

The gain at the high peak is 24dB...looks like it's too much. Are you intending to clip the highs? The following "passive" twin tee will reduce the harshness..

Without the peak, the high-end is a bit like the BlackStar HT5.   The low-end also has some similarity with the BlackStar HT5.  The ASTROSIM has more lows.   The circuits themselves are quite different.

I might need to retract that.  I think something screwed up on one of my spreadsheets.
There is a response like the ASTROSIM without the HF peak but it might not be the BlackStar HT5.

Be warned - Apache Office has some nasty bugs when you copy sheets containing graphs.
If you select the graph then right click on a graph and see the option "Data Ranges" in the pop-up menu it's probably OK.  If you see "Chart Data Table" it can easily screw-up (or is screwed-up).  You cannot trust what you see, especially if you have edited something.

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

bool

I guess you could use a RC4559 as well.

Err.. speaking of openoffice? Do you know if the bug you talk about is also in libreoffice?

vigilante397

Sounds fabulous Rob, as always. I'll have to throw it on the list 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Rob Strand

QuoteErr.. speaking of openoffice? Do you know if the bug you talk about is also in libreoffice?
I haven't checked the Libre OpenOffice on my Ubuntu OS machine, which is also a later version.

I used Apache because I had problems with the Optimizer plug in and also Thai languages on other versions in the past.  On both Libre and Apache, if you use plug-ins and other languages different things break on each version, sometimes crashing OpenOffice.

I noticed I get the "Chart Data Table" when I import from MS Office as well.  Once you get the "Chart Data Table" case you are guaranteed something bad will happen down the track.  It gets in a funny state and you can never get it back to the "Data Ranges" normal case.

I did do some searches and there were some issues in this area.   Sometimes it was reported in a slightly obscure way.

I'll power-up my Ubuntu machine tonight and let you know.

EBK

Maybe I just don't know enough about cab simulators, but I'm confused about a couple things here:

Is the output jack connected to the Line Out on the schematic?  What exactly does the stomp switch do in this circuit?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: EBK on February 06, 2019, 03:23:32 PM
Maybe I just don't know enough about cab simulators, but I'm confused about a couple things here:

Is the output jack connected to the Line Out on the schematic?  What exactly does the stomp switch do in this circuit?
I'm building it without the switch, with the line out hardwired to the output jack. I think deadastronaut built this one with line out being an "effect out" and the switch bypassing the cab simulator to the output jack, but still keeping the signal going thru the cab simulator for the headphones and xlr outputs.

vigilante397

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on February 06, 2019, 05:11:58 PM
I think deadastronaut built this one with line out being an "effect out" and the switch bypassing the cab simulator to the output jack, but still keeping the signal going thru the cab simulator for the headphones and xlr outputs.

That's how I interpreted it as well. Headphones and XLR out are always on, line out is footswitchable.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

^ yup..

basically a home recording box...does me.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Marcos - Munky

So, I built it (board and offboard wirings only, not boxed yet) and did a quick test. I'm getting sound out of the line out. Didn't tested the XLR out with a real cable, but I'm getting sound out of it with an audio probe.

My issue is on the headphone out. I'm not getting any sound out of it. I've checked the parts values, and everything seems to be ok. Using an audio probe I've tracked the signal to pin 5 of the 5532, but I'm not getting any sound on pins 6 (don't know if it's supposed to be audio signal there) and 7. Here's my voltages:
pin 5: 5.132 V
pin 6: 5.884 V
pin 7: 8.25 V
pin 8: 8.93 V

That pin 7 voltage looks suspicious, should it really be that high?

Any clues?

Killthepopular

I'm thinking of building a cab sim. I like the XLR out and the extra controls on this pedal but from what I've heard i think the condor still sounds better so I'm leaning in that direction. What do you guys reckon? Condor vs Astrosim?

vigilante397

Quote from: Killthepopular on February 16, 2019, 01:32:34 PM
What do you guys reckon? Condor vs Astrosim?

Your ears are your ears. If the Condor sounds better to you, then build the Condor. If the Astro sounds better to you, build the Astro. Pretty simple decision, just trust your ears 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ben N

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 16, 2019, 07:30:40 PM
Quote from: Killthepopular on February 16, 2019, 01:32:34 PM
What do you guys reckon? Condor vs Astrosim?

Your ears are your ears. If the Condor sounds better to you, then build the Condor. If the Astro sounds better to you, build the Astro. Pretty simple decision, just trust your ears 8)
But, of course, you'll have to build both to know which one sounds better to you, so--Catch 22.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

And when you've built both, there will be another. Feed the addiction ;)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

dschwartz

I haven't build the condor or the astrosim..but i can bet that the astrosim will be much better. The condor is just one cabinet emulated. The astrosim has a similar approach as my multicabsim. You can tweak it to sound just like you want
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

lcv

Is this  xlr out interface  compatible with phantom power supply ? (i.e. it's not going to be damaged  in case PS is activated mixer side)