Wide vibrato pedals?

Started by Esppse, February 03, 2019, 07:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esppse

Hey,

I'm trying to look for a layout like the Chase Bliss warped vinyl. Its capable of a very wide and and slow vibrato. All the vibrato layouts I've come across are either tremolo layouts, or vibrato with nearly zero pitch rise of fall. A deeper depth would be nice.

What layout would you guys recommend that come close to the Warped Vinyl?

Thanks

Mark Hammer

Get hold of a chorus, any chorus, and remove/lift the resistor that mixes in dry signal, leaving only wet.  That's it.

Actually, that's NOT "it".  That will get you the effect, but most chorus pedals that do not use true bypass switching will cancel "the effect" by turning off the wet signal.  So if the dry signal is also eliminated, and bypassing cancels the wet signal, your "bypass" turns into a mute pedal.

Esppse

Ah thanks for that idea. I stumbled on this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gCZ4gYAPEGA/UDgBDX49XiI/AAAAAAAACRQ/1WNwwJOhA5w/s1600/Little+Angel+Chorus+V4.png

I think this may be what I'm looking for. Much appreciated!

Mark Hammer

I will note that one of the things which made the Boss CE-1 so desirable was that it used a different LFO waveform for chorus than it did for vibrato.  Specifically, it used a sinusoidal (or very close to it) waveform for vibrato.  This is a waveform that "slows down" as it gets to each turnaround; the one at the top and the one at the bottom (see test point L).  Note that lifting the dry path of a chorus, phaser, or flanger, WILL produce vibrato, but nearly all will use a triangle-wave LFO.  Whether the modulation sound as sweet to your ears as it might is a whole other thing.

patrick398

A while ago i built an approximation of a zvex lo-fi junky/warped vinyl thing which sounded very cool. I build one for myself a couple of weeks ago. It uses electric druids StompLFO so there are 8 different available waveforms for the LFO and a clean blend so you can have chorus or fully wet vibrato. There's a slight latency when fully wet but for me this just adds to the pitch bending madness. Sounds like you left a walkman in the hot sun for a week.
I'll post the vero layout if you're interested

Mark Hammer

Quote from: patrick398 on February 04, 2019, 11:32:24 AM
Sounds like you left a walkman in the hot sun for a week.

Descriptor of the week!