Microcassette lofi question

Started by Esppse, February 10, 2019, 08:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esppse

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has built a lofi effect with a microcassette. I am looking for a design that basically both records and plays in real time. Is there such a thing with microcassettes? Like a tape echo with the fastest possible time, minimum feedback, mix 100% for a full tape sound.

Thanks

anotherjim

Not myself.
It's not without challenges. There is a single combined erase/record/play head so it can't play while recording.
The trick would be to add another playback head in the path to the take-up reel. Not a lot of room to do that, so maybe you have to hack the mechanism quite a bit to extend the path. Electronically it could be simple if you have 2 machines to hack so one provides the playback head and amplifier while the other is recording.

Esppse

Ah I thought it might be tricky, good to know it is possible, perhaps it'll be a future project then!... now off to build my 156th-ish fuzz in my shop.

Mark Hammer

T-Rex makes one, though I'm unclear whether they use a micro-cassette, like the kind found in old-school answering machines, or something more music-cassette sized.

Esppse

Yeah i would love to build something like that, but extremely compact.