The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groovenut

Quote from: patrick398 on February 21, 2019, 06:48:20 AM
Quote from: EBK on February 20, 2019, 08:59:53 PM

1.  The Swear Jar:  an envelope detector triggers the replacement of the normal audio with a 1kHz "bleep" (optionally a different, more musical frequency).  Bonus points for a remotely-activated design, especially one that could work with a microphone.

Could be fun to implement one of those record/playback modules and have pre-recorded swear words inserted into the signal path at sporadic intervals.

We might have to change the name to Tourette's, maybe make it a talk-box....
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on February 21, 2019, 02:39:51 AM
You been fermenting those chia seeds, Eric?   ???
I've discovered that, if you crush them into a fine powder, you can s---No, I haven't!  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

DaveLT

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 20, 2019, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: Rob Strand on February 20, 2019, 04:42:55 PM
QuoteI'd like to see someone build a pedal named Resting Bitch Face (my wife used the phrase recently, and it struck me as awesome  :icon_razz:).
I'd like to see a pedal named "Muff Squeezer" in honor of Donald Trump.
Reminds me... Was going to clone the Camel Toe and call it...
Moose Knuckle

These fuzz names are just terrible  :icon_lol:

How about Eat English Muff  :icon_mrgreen: Or make a pedal called a knob then put it BEFORE a big muff  :icon_twisted:

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 20, 2019, 04:42:55 PM
QuoteI'd like to see someone build a pedal named Resting Bitch Face (my wife used the phrase recently, and it struck me as awesome  :icon_razz:).
I'd like to see a pedal named "Muff Squeezer" in honor of Donald Trump.

i can't resist... i'm on it!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2019, 11:49:56 AM
Idea:  An op amp circuit that saturates with modulated power rail voltages.  (I suppose it doesn't have to be an op amp, but it was an op amp datasheet that sparked the idea.)

a trem-o-fuzz!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

phasetrans

Idea:  An op amp circuit that saturates with modulated power rail voltages.  (I suppose it doesn't have to be an op amp, but it was an op amp datasheet that sparked the idea.)

I did something like this, only the opamp acts as the power rail:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=121493.msg1142360#msg1142360
  • SUPPORTER

Prehistoricman

I did exactly this with a slightly warped definition of modulation...
Basically connected a resistor to the power supply of an MXR micro amp (modded for extra gain). Classic "dead battery" circuit.
As the output changes, the circuit uses more power and therefore the opamp's supply changes with respect to the output signal. Just on the verge of oscillation you can get an octave down effect!

I could make a demo...

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 21, 2019, 02:11:37 PMa trem-o-fuzz!!
Threw one of these together to replicate the intro to One of These Days on the strat while using the tremolo arm.

3rd Floyd reference of the day here for me.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

pinkjimiphoton

the intro is two basses, gilmour on one side, waters on the other. beaucoup binson echorec applied!!

the tremolo part i bet it would work tho ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 21, 2019, 02:56:59 PM
the intro is two basses, gilmour on one side, waters on the other. beaucoup binson echorec applied!!

the tremolo part i bet it would work tho ;)
Woah interesting! I've tried recreating many of their effects - even a backwards wired wah for the end of Echoes. I've gotta look into that a bit more.

It was when I was first messing with LDRs. I had a friend frantically switch the lights on and off with the fuzzed up signal going through only an LDR on breadboard. Must have looked like a poltergeist from the outside. Eventually I threw one together with a tremolo circuit but parted with it.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the neighbors love me  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 21, 2019, 03:04:11 PM
It was when I was first messing with LDRs. I had a friend frantically switch the lights on and off with the fuzzed up signal going through only an LDR on breadboard. Must have looked like a poltergeist from the outside. Eventually I threw one together with a tremolo circuit but parted with it.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the neighbors love me  :icon_lol:
Sounds like you more or less manually did what my Creaky Floor circuit does (see the second demo video in particular): 
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=121805.msg1146642#msg1146642
  • SUPPORTER

DaveLT

I suppose you could use an optocoupler (minimal part count) to modulate the supply voltage of anything with the input signal  :icon_twisted:

bluebunny

Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 01:40:38 PM
Or make a pedal called a knob then put it BEFORE a big muff  :icon_twisted:

Ahem...          ::)

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

DaveLT

Quote from: bluebunny on February 21, 2019, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 01:40:38 PM
Or make a pedal called a knob then put it BEFORE a big muff  :icon_twisted:

Ahem...          ::)

It isn't a pedal so there  :P

Ah call it HUGE KNOB and literally have a really giant knob...

I'm now thinking if I should use a 1590A and put a giant knob on it. Boost pedal or something.

The largest knob I can get is about 50mm... big enough?  (Ordered a 45mm knob together with pedal parts stuff, i realized a 1590A is only 36mm and this is going to be so comically oversized)

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 04:29:27 PM
The largest knob I can get is about 50mm... big enough?  (Ordered a 45mm knob together with pedal parts stuff, i realized a 1590A is only 36mm and this is going to be so comically oversized)

At that point you should just call it "The Knob"  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

DaveLT

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 21, 2019, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 04:29:27 PM

At that point you should just call it "The Knob"  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

The Knob or Huge Knob 🤔

EBK

Someone needs to build a pedal with a door knob, right?  :icon_wink:

(I love this thread already.   :icon_lol:)
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteSomeone needs to build a pedal with a door knob, right?  :icon_wink:

(I love this thread already.   :icon_lol:)
Maybe a noise gate.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2019, 05:18:16 PM
Someone needs to build a pedal with a door knob, right?  :icon_wink:

I've always wanted to get one of those massive mad scientist style switches and throw one on a pedal.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com