The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

QuoteA bass fuzz/distortion where you run the input through a high-pass filter that does a smooth transition from low to high (like an RIAA curve but tuned for bass frequencies instead of a "knee" at a certain frequency), do the fuzz/distortion/overdrive effect, then run the output through a low-pass filter that is the opposite of the input.
I played around with that idea in the early 90's.  It has it's pros and cons.  The Ibanez Modern Fusion MF5 (The "lady bug" pedals with the metal case) used that method.   The Boss BD2 kinds of does that as well.  The same idea inspired the Barber Drives.   I have a vague memory of Barber using the RIAA curve as an example!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

> a high-pass filter  ....fuzz/distortion/overdrive effect, then ... low-pass filter

I'd done that. In a different field with different technology.

I needed talk-back in a BIG hall, only to the stage. I was studying directivity. I had space for a big cardboard horn. But no money. I used essentially a car-door speaker, but the horn and chamber boosted bass and cut treble. I took a $13 cassette player and high-passed the mike amp. If you talked soft, the complementary slopes made "flat" 600-3000Hz, what you need to communicate. If you talked loud, the consonants clipped before the vowels, so intelligibility stayed high and it did not hurt the ear.

Similar tricks were used in ham radio long ago. "Tone" was not a key thing, just "reach".
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

This is my Klon Centaur clone (aion Refractor):

It is styled in a manner similar to the Klon Centaur KTR:

Note, the one thing missing from mine is the "rediculous hype" text. 

What I have always dreamed of doing was to add white text with the same font to mine, but mine was going to simply read "half horse hype" instead.

Although I plan to live forever (so far so good)*, I don't think I'll achieve my dream personally, so I'm hoping someone else will create a "half horse hype" pedal to make my life more complete.

I did figure out the font, but I'll have to find the file with my draft version of the labeling to tell you what it is.  I do remember that I had to mess with the kerning to get it just right.

*Credit to Steven Wright for the joke I lovingly borrowed.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

QuoteThis is my Klon Centaur clone (aion Refractor):
Oh, I was expecting a pic of the chia pedal taking over the kitchen and holding onto someone's leg.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on June 28, 2019, 10:05:34 PM
What I have always dreamed of doing was to add white text with the same font to mine, but mine was going to simply read "half horse hype" instead.

Although I plan to live forever (so far so good)*, I don't think I'll achieve my dream personally, so I'm hoping someone else will create a "half horse hype" pedal to make my life more complete.

I know this wouldn't quite give white lettering, but I have access to an industrial laser that I use for my artwork, I would be more than happy to engrave that on the box for you. I could get it all the way down to the bare aluminum which would give a nice silver-ish look.

Just a thought ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 29, 2019, 12:01:49 AM
Quote from: EBK on June 28, 2019, 10:05:34 PM

I know this wouldn't quite give white lettering, but I have access to an industrial laser that I use for my artwork, I would be more than happy to engrave that on the box for you. I could get it all the way down to the bare aluminum which would give a nice silver-ish look.

Just a thought ;D
That would be awesome!  Now I definitely have to find that file with the font!
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: Rob Strand on June 28, 2019, 11:13:25 PM
QuoteThis is my Klon Centaur clone (aion Refractor):
Oh, I was expecting a pic of the chia pedal taking over the kitchen and holding onto someone's leg.

there is a lot of hype about that chia pedal.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on June 29, 2019, 06:49:03 AM
That would be awesome!  Now I definitely have to find that file with the font!

Cool, let me know ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Found my file. The diodes are 1N34A, and the font is 20th Century Monotype Condensed.   :icon_lol:

(The expansion would vary with the font size; I arbitrarily chose to use 18 pt.)

Nathan, I'll send you a PM later, once I've imported the file into Inkscape and played around with the layout.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on July 02, 2019, 04:07:07 PM
Nathan, I'll send you a PM later, once I've imported the file into Inkscape and played around with the layout.

Sounds good ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Is it possible to switch the delay time of a PT2399 circuit on the fly between T and 2×T?

I have a crazy idea for a creepy tremoloish reverbish circuit with half-speed, octave-down repeats.  It would consist of three parallel, time-staggered stages, each stage performing something like this:

Mute delay output.
Set delay time to T.
Unmute delay input.
After time T elapses,
Mute delay input,
Set delay time to 2×T
Unmute delay output.
After time 2×T elapses,
Repeat all of the above steps.

(Put more simply: Record some audio, play it back half speed, repeat.)

The second stage would do the same steps, but would start at time T.

The third stage would do the same steps, but would start at time 2T.

(Thus, at any given point in time, one of the stages is recording, and the other stages are somewhere in their half-speed playback.)

I should probably draw a timing diagram to better explain it.

Let's just ignore the edge effects of the switching for the time being.  It's not at all meant to sound like a pure octave down circuit (glitchy is ok).  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 20, 2019, 04:42:55 PM
QuoteI'd like to see someone build a pedal named Resting Bitch Face (my wife used the phrase recently, and it struck me as awesome  :icon_razz:).
I'd like to see a pedal named "Muff Squeezer" in honor of Donald Trump.

Well, you would need to make it loud, obnoxious, and you don't necessarily need to link the input with the output...  You can connect the output to an "alternative" input that sounds nothing like the original signal.
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

Fancy Lime

QuoteI'd like to see someone build a pedal named Resting Bitch Face (my wife used the phrase recently, and it struck me as awesome  :icon_razz:).

Resting Bitch Face is indeed a great Fuzz name. But the Orange Squeezer is already taken and what other color would you give the Muff Squeezer? Maybe white. Very white, almost translucent. Like alabaster. Well, as long as the enclosure is very stable and the circuit is genius. Needs a Covfefe knob, though.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

EBK

• SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Quote from: EBK on July 06, 2019, 07:13:25 PM
As far as a Trump pedal goes, this one would be very hard to beat:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116468.msg1079499#msg1079499

Not even close.  First off, that pedal is TINY. A Trump pedal would be BIG.  HUGE!  1590BB minimum (preferably 1590XX).  And Beautifull...  it would make your playing great again!

Oh, and all text decals would have to be in CAPS.

Possible names:

WITCH HUNT DISTORION

CROOKED HILARY OVERDRIVE (a.k.a. CHO)

BIG HANDS RAT

ORANGE POTUS DISTORTION

BEAUTIFUL BIG HUGE OVERDRIVE

CHEETOH IN CHIEF RAT

Some ideas...
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

Quote from: jfrabat on July 06, 2019, 09:55:12 PM
Not even close.  First off, that pedal is TINY. A Trump pedal would be BIG.  HUGE! 
I would think a 1590A claiming to be the biggest pedal ever would be more appropriate.  :icon_razz:

Other Trumpy buzz words:
No Collusion
No Obstruction
Fake News
Hagfish (Sorry.  I bring this one up whenever the discussion veers towards politics.   Hagfish are less divisive and just as relevant.  :icon_rolleyes:)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on July 07, 2019, 06:41:09 AM
I would think a 1590A claiming to be the biggest pedal ever would be more appropriate.  :icon_razz:

A 1590DD pedal, but with 1590A hands.   ;D

I wonder if duckie's pedal upholstery skills extend to a blond comb-over?   ???         ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

Quote from: jfrabat on July 06, 2019, 03:44:34 PM

Well, you would need to make it loud, obnoxious, and you don't necessarily need to link the input with the output...  You can connect the output to an "alternative" input that sounds nothing like the original signal.

.... if it works, claim all credit. if it doesn't: blame Obama.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ElectricDruid

So, in a similar vein, can I get some ideas for a "Boris" pedal, since we're about to have our very own UK-version of Trump?

Fancy Lime

Tremendous Hagfish is totes for realsies a great name.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!