The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stallik

Quote from: EBK on January 29, 2020, 08:11:11 AM
I think it would be cool to use something like this LCD "light valve" as part of a bypass indication for a pedal, perhaps hiding and revealing a backlit waterslide decal, perhaps with a cutout opaque decal on top.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3330?gclid=CjwKCAiA98TxBRBtEiwAVRLqu1-Rf3OI9tHaEXmKw1z8_nbs4wvScgy9EUvip3KS63ZTZb66Pv0FQhoCu3oQAvD_BwE

It is glass, so the idea is not without risk, but since people make pedals with glass tubes sticking up out of them already, why not?

So, I got my little LCD shutter and breadboarded 2x LM317T circuits. I want the shutter to fade and it turns out this all happens between 0 - 1.9v
Unfortunately, the circuits I've got only drop to 1v  so I'm getting my fade but with only a small turn of the pot.
Better way of controlling the voltage 0-2v?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

ElectricDruid

Could you stick a diode or two from the LCD ground to the true ground? E.g. Bump its ground up by a diode drop or two?

Then you'd need a voltage between 1.3V and 3.2V to control the LCD. That might be easier to manage.

stallik

Thanks Tom, elegant suggestion. Unfortunately, not effective on the panel but I did find an interesting effect. Depending on the diode, the shutter operated in slow motion. Not what I want for this project but a useful observation. Will have to get some sleep before I can work out why it's happening
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

PRR

It's probably "zero" current. Use a pot from a 1.9V source. Got 5V? Use 150k fixed and 100k pot series.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Thank you Paul, 0 to 1.89 :)

Vout = Vin x R2 / (R1+R2) been doing homework - one day, this stuff will sink in

EBK

A few more ideas:

1) a pedal with a coin slot.  Should probably be a bit crusher or something else retro-video-game-like.  Up to you whether the coin slot is functional.

2)  A pedal in a Rubik's Cube. 

3)  a clean blend pedal that combines a picture of Mr. Clean with the exposed metal skull and red eye of The Terminator.

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

Quote from: EBK on February 22, 2020, 09:48:22 AM
A few more ideas:

1) a pedal with a coin slot.  Should probably be a bit crusher or something else retro-video-game-like.  Up to you whether the coin slot is functional.

I have a coin-slot panel thing "pulled" from a moon buggy table machine, ~1984.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

garcho

^ the way the "subscription model" is taking over software, maybe soon we'll be lucky enough to have subscription guitar pedals. Forgot to put that 25¢ in the slot? There goes your overdrive, should have used automatic deduction!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

EBK

Quote from: garcho on February 23, 2020, 12:51:58 PM
^ the way the "subscription model" is taking over software, maybe soon we'll be lucky enough to have subscription guitar pedals. Forgot to put that 25¢ in the slot? There goes your overdrive, should have used automatic deduction!
I could see it being useful for a band wanting to rein in an overly showy guitarist.  "When your quarter runs out, your solo is over!"
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on February 23, 2020, 01:25:49 PM
Quote from: garcho on February 23, 2020, 12:51:58 PM
I could see it being useful for a band wanting to rein in an overly showy guitarist.  "When your quarter runs out, your solo is over!"

You just *know* they'd turn up with a bag full of quarters like someone making an international call from a payphone used to do! Ker-ching! Ker-ching! Ker-ching! Ker-ching!

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on February 23, 2020, 01:25:49 PM

Brings to mind this anecdote;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Fancy Lime

Just had the following brain fart:

a delay with envelope controlled delay time, such that loud is fast an quiet is slow. The envelope follower would need to be set with a fast attack and very slow decay, so that a single short chord would be followed by several echos with the delay getting longer with each echo. Might be interestingly spacey. Has anyone tried that? Does it exist commercially? I'm cut off from my breadboard for the foreseeable future but if someone is bored, I'd really like to know how that sounds. Would probably benefit from a bit of distortion and high cut on the echos for a degraded tape echo simulation. Probably best implemented with a PT2399.

Cheers,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

EBK

You would get some weird pitch shifting as you change the delay (might be quite unmusical), unless you are planning to use a bunch of delay chips set to different delay times and cycle between them.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

Quote from: EBK on March 17, 2020, 07:42:26 AM
You would get some weird pitch shifting as you change the delay (might be quite unmusical), unless you are planning to use a bunch of delay chips set to different delay times and cycle between them.

Yes, the pitch would droop progressively in the echos and they will not be very harmonious with the original signal. That's what I meant by "interestingly spacey". Letting the echo output and feedback run through a band pass should help keeping it from producing too much sonic mayhem.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

bluebunny

Envelope-controlled <insert effect>.  Sounds like the kind of thing Rich would (may have) come up with.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

anotherjim

Would work better if the times change in a stepped fashion to get the delays without a constant pitch sweep. Not necessarily from the envelope, but an attack triggered staircase LFO that steps each complete delay cycle. That means counting the VCO clocks of your PT2399 for something like 44000 or whatever it is and increasing the delay each count. The works might be best done in a small MCU with a 74HC counter reducing the PT2399 clock out rate to a suitable speed for the MCU. The Attack trigger could simply be the input signal getting high enough for a logic threshold into an MCU pin.

garcho

QuoteHas anyone tried that?

ever check out the Clari(not)? Might be a good place to start.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74294.0
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

iainpunk

Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 17, 2020, 07:30:58 AM

a delay with envelope controlled delay time, such that loud is fast an quiet is slow. The envelope follower would need to be set with a fast attack and very slow decay, so that a single short chord would be followed by several echos with the delay getting longer with each echo. Might be interestingly spacey. Has anyone tried that? Does it exist commercially? I'm cut off from my breadboard for the foreseeable future but if someone is bored, I'd really like to know how that sounds. Would probably benefit from a bit of distortion and high cut on the echos for a degraded tape echo simulation. Probably best implemented with a PT2399.

Cheers,
Andy

doesn't this pitch shift dynamically? and wouldn't it become some sort of wall of differently pitched notes randomly flying through each other while being pitch shifter differently for every repeat, essentially creating a harsh noise wall?
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Quote from: iainpunk on March 21, 2020, 11:21:01 AM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 17, 2020, 07:30:58 AM

Cheers,
Andy

doesn't this pitch shift dynamically? and wouldn't it become some sort of wall of differently pitched notes randomly flying through each other while being pitch shifter differently for every repeat, essentially creating a harsh noise wall?

It would not be a very universal effect that would sound "good" with many different input signals, for sure. Finger picking country licks would certainly become a dissonant ruckus. Bot for certain slow material like short single notes with lots of space between, I could see that sounding interesting. Still dissonant but interesting. No?

Quote from: garcho on March 19, 2020, 12:11:15 PM
QuoteHas anyone tried that?

ever check out the Clari(not)? Might be a good place to start.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74294.0
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That is indeed not too far off what I was thinking, conceptually.

Cheers,
Andy

EBK

I may be willing to make a clean SVG of this if anyone wants to use it as a pedal graphic.  I found it on an oxygen absorber packet in a bag of jerky.  Not fully sure why I find it so amusing (maybe because it makes me think of PacMan on a diet), but I do.  :icon_razz:

• SUPPORTER