BOSS CE-3 Signal Allowance HEPL ME!)

Started by midiez1997, February 22, 2019, 07:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

Quotehttps://soundcloud.com/user-703662903/chorus2803

Is that test in Mode II only?

For me, I interpret the results as:

The first change from clean to effect has a glitch which starts at about sample 85000.  However it is not a simple glitch. It is a fizziness that lasts about 100ms or more.

At about 160000 I hear another fizz but the change from effect to clean doesn't actually occur until sample 185000.   I'm not sure when you pressed the footswitch at 160000 or at 185000?

Also what if you power-up the pedal and wait 10 second before using it do you still get the fizzy sound?

After that the switching seems to work perfectly.  I don't understand what is different about the first two.

Do you interpret the results like me or do you see/hear something slightly different?

If you want to try something you could try changing the 2x56k's to 2x33k.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Rob Strand

Another question:
What power supply are you using? is it regulated to unregulated?
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

midiez1997

Look, I feed the pedal with a good stabilized current of 9 volts. The first 10 seconds after power-up, the pedal behaves inadequately, switching on as it came.
Then everything seems fine, but there is no difference between the modes after the last one!) And the problem seems to have disappeared, everything turns on well.

midiez1997

Rob Strand

QuoteI wrote everything clearly?
Are you happy with it like that or do you want to try to fix it?

midiez1997

Rob Strand

QuoteModes give the same sound!
Not good but it should be solvable.

You should first check for soldering shorts, especially around the JFETs.

I suspect the problem is related to R11 and/or leakage on the PCB.

Some questions:
- Does the footswitch switch between effect and clean on both output A and output B?
- Is output B also stuck when you set Mode I and Mode II?   
- What signal do you hear from Output A:  Clean + Effect, Effect only?
- What signal do you hear from Output B:  Clean + Effect, Effect only, or Clean only?

midiez1997

After the last one, the mod pedal got stuck in a vibrato position. In any position of the handle, the pedal was turned on for vibrato, tested it only at output A.
Now we are talking about: "#2) Attached schematic "V1.0" , 2019/03/27"
I did not quite understand how to make mod number 3.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Upd! I found the reason for the failures!) Because I touched the tip of the jack with my finger, and did not insert the guitar, then probably clicks appeared.
Since I need a pedal, I decided to just replace R61 with 510k (because I didn’t have exactly 500k)
I played and realized it was almost what I needed! So I measured the delay in the editor, and it makes 20 milliseconds. The human ear does not distinguish a gap of 13 ms ....
Will we finish the delay to 13ms or leave it like this?

Rob Strand

QuoteI played and realized it was almost what I needed! So I measured the delay in the editor, and it makes 20 milliseconds. The human ear does not distinguish a gap of 13 ms ....
Will we finish the delay to 13ms or leave it like this?
If you changed R61 to 510k you can reduce the gap by changing the 270k near R12 to 100k.  So, not the 270k near R61 but the other one near R12.

QuoteI did not quite understand how to make mod number 3.
Mod #3 is very similar to mod #2.   It just has two more changes:
- Change R58 from 56k to 33k
- Change R59 from 56k to 33k

If you do mod #3 you might have to adjust the 270k and 100k again.

My advice is if mod #2 works don't worry about mod #3.

midiez1997

You did not understand me!) Mod #2 did not work correctly for me.
Therefore, I returned the pedal to its original state and simply replaced the R61 with 510k.
And the delay decreased to 20ms.
What other resistor should be changed so that it becomes even smaller? (for example 13 ms)

Rob Strand

QuoteMod #2 did not work correctly for me.
The *idea* for Mod #2 *must* to work.  The problem is likely to be because of  the large R11 value.

QuoteWhat other resistor should be changed so that it becomes even smaller? (for example 13 ms)
If you only decrease R61 you will will reduce the gap from Dry -> Effect but eventually you will *create* a gap between Effect -> Dry.   

Another problem is if you make the R12/R61 resistors too low the switching circuit (Q11, Q12) will not work properly.

There is more to switching than just having no gaps.  When you decrease the resistor values it makes the switching faster.  If you switch too fast you will hear a 'tick' even when there is no gap (because the two signals don't join smoothly).  The reason JFET switch is normally silent is because it switches slowly.     Normally that isn't a problem but for the CE3 in Mode II more care is required because there is a chance of a gap.   Mod #2 tries to fix all the gaps *and* still switch slowly.

Without fixing Mod #2 I can only suggest this circuit.    It reduces the gap when switching Dry -> Effect as much as possible but it will not create a new gap when switching  Effect -> Dry.   The Dry -> Effect gap is reduced to 5 to 6ms.    It is not a 100% fix but it is the best you can do (without fixing Mod #2).  You might still hear a small 'tick' and sometimes the tick might be louder than other times (try switching 20 times).

midiez1997

that's it, I fixed it!) I added a resistor with a diode, drilled out holes, inserted them. The delay turned out 5ms, which does not affect the hearing, I'm happy!))
Thanks You!

Rob Strand

Quotethat's it, I fixed it!) I added a resistor with a diode, drilled out holes, inserted them. The delay turned out 5ms, which does not affect the hearing, I'm happy!))
Thanks You!
Good to hear it worked out!

I'm going to send the bill to Boss for shipping out unfinished designs  :icon_mrgreen:.

midiez1997

that's right! What do they have... for example, OD-2 signal squandering, people complain?

Rob Strand

Quotefor example, OD-2 signal squandering, people complain?
I'm not aware of that one.

I know there's an issue (or two) with the SD-1.

Overall I think Boss products are well engineered and they do try to fix bugs in their designs.

midiez1997

Hello again, guys!)
We here argued with a friend, how to connect this pedal correctly, and in what mode is the correct stereo?
in the first mode there is a signal + effect and a signal-effect.
in the second mode, there is a direct signal, and a slow signal ("vibrato").
What position can be called stereo and why?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: midiez1997 on May 04, 2019, 03:31:51 PM
Hello again, guys!)
We here argued with a friend, how to connect this pedal correctly, and in what mode is the correct stereo?
in the first mode there is a signal + effect and a signal-effect.
in the second mode, there is a direct signal, and a slow signal ("vibrato").
What position can be called stereo and why?

*Both* of those two options have been called "stereo chorus" at one time or another in various units.