Black Arts Pharoah Coupling caps

Started by blacKtearZ, February 28, 2019, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacKtearZ

Just in the process of building a Black Arts Pharoah, however noticed that there are 2 versions of the said pedal floating around. One in which the coupling caps and feedback caps match the original Ram's head 47nf values. The other version has all caps changed to 470nf.
Has anyone here built one or looked inside an original Pharoah to confirm which cap values are correct?

BetterOffShred

Socket them and see which you like most.  I put the 470n in mine and it sounds huge AF.   Love the tone stack too

Elijah-Baley

Probably the right version is the one with 470nF, and this should make to sound it beefy. I have to build it, too. ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

antonis

Coupling caps form HPFs with next stage input impedance (bias resistors & Base input impedance)..
Diode pair Feedback caps set the series "resistance" to diode pair and also set the margins between clipping and total signal feedback with feedback bias resistor shunt cap..
(which margins are, IMHO, quite narrow for a 1/10 values ratio..)

If you don't want to deal with those nasty formulae analysis, place 100nF for both coupling & diode pair feedback caps and deal with it no more..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..