Author Topic: on/off input jack  (Read 2431 times)

Noa

on/off input jack
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:28:23 PM »
I have a pedal that turns on (using 9 volt battery) when I plug in a guitar jack. Wondering if there is a gadget or method I can use so I can turn off (not use battery power) to the pedal, without pulling out that jack. Thanks for any leads.

GGBB

Re: on/off input jack
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
Not sure what you mean by gadget. Do you want to modify the pedal or build some kind of adapter, or are you looking for some sort of commercially available accessory device?
  • SUPPORTER

Noa

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
Sorry. I wasn't clear. I have LR Baggs Para DI. When you plug a cord into the jack, it turns on, and uses battery power. I want to be able to 'turn it off' without having to unplug the cord. So, looking for either a gadget that exists, or a workaround with some switch pedal? Or to build something. Thanks

GGBB

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
A switch pedal is simple. Mono input jack, stereo output jack, run a stereo cable from the output to the Para input. Use an SPST or SPDT switch to connect(on)/disconnect(off) the output jack's sleeve and ring.

Not sure what the inside of a Para looks like, but there's a chance that you could modify to add a switch. As modifications go, this is a very simple thing to do technically.
  • SUPPORTER

Noa

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
So that simple solution won't just de-activate the effect of the Para, it will also deactivate the battery 'contact' and therefore not drain the battery? (I know, I sound like a moron, but I'm new at this). I'll do as you suggest (gotta get a switch pedal though, so I thought I'd double check before I get one). Thank you!

GGBB

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:55 PM »
Right. The way these things normally work - and for your own protection I have to say I do not know this specifically about the Para - is that a stereo input jack is used with the battery -ve wire connected to the ring. When a mono plug is inserted, it connects the sleeve/ground to the ring, thus grounding the battery -ve terminal enabling power to flow.

So all you need to do is make that connection operation a manual one by way of a switch.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:18:45 PM by GGBB »
  • SUPPORTER

Noa

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:32:41 PM »
Thank you! I really appreciate your patience and clarity.

ElectricDruid

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
+1 what Gord said. He's nailed it.

Noa

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
Hey BBGG,
This is what I found about the Para:
Battery Type: Single 9V
Current Consumption: 2.9mA
Battery Life: > 200 Hours (alkaline)
External Power: 30-48V Phantom Power
EQ - Low: ± 12dB @ 85Hz
Does any of that help you know whatever it was you didn't "specifically know about the Para"?

Alternatively, I am thinking of adding a dc jack, to plug it into a power cube. (Have a different thread going about how to do that).
So, looks like it draws very little mA, for either idea... Or do I need to take into account/convert the 30-48V info?
Thanks!

GGBB

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
Doesn't really help. The main consideration would be how it is built. Is there room inside to add a switch (or a jack), and is there easy access to the battery connections?

Others have done this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqJbNU4WD0
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2371522.

And I'd probably do something similar to the Youtube video, but first I'd open it up to see what's inside.
  • SUPPORTER

reusegrinning

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:47:10 PM »
Do you want to modify the pedal or build some kind of adapter, or are you looking for some sort of commercially available accessory device?
Download: run 3 apk online.

Ice-9

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
I have a pedal that turns on (using 9 volt battery) when I plug in a guitar jack. Wondering if there is a gadget or method I can use so I can turn off (not use battery power) to the pedal, without pulling out that jack. Thanks for any leads.

That is standard Boss and true bypass wiring. the battery is switch on when an audio jack is inserted but as soon as a PSU jack is inserted the battery is never connected.  as long as the psu jack is inserted the battery will never be used.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

GGBB

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
This topic died more than a year ago.
  • SUPPORTER

Ice-9

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
This topic died more than a year ago.

'Oops'
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

Primo21

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
Right. The way these things normally work - and for your own protection I have to say I do not know this specifically about the Para - is that a stereo input jack is used with the battery -ve wire connected to the ring. When a mono plug is inserted, it connects the sleeve/ground to the ring, thus grounding the battery -ve terminal enabling power to flow.

meilleur crédit

So all you need to do is make that connection operation a manual one by way of a switch.
And how do you think this operation is done?