DOD 250 trouble

Started by rankot, March 04, 2019, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

I've just completed my DOD 250 build, but I have a problem I can't solve. It works as expected if I connect it to signal generator - it distorts, volume and gain pots work as expected.

BUT

when I connect it to amp and guitar, it's not working at all! I'm completely confused, tried to trace the signal and it comes into opamp input, but the output is silent. When I try the same with signal generator (.1V sine wave), it works fine again. I've checked cables, they're fine.

Ideas, anyone?

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

MaxPower

That schematic is a bit of a mess. There are better drawn versions available which might help find a possible wiring error. In any case, never had an issue with several 250 builds.

Is it missing a voltage reference? I can't tell. Usually around 4.5 volts for a 9 volt supply.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

MaxPower

Oh, I guess the 22k resistors set the vref? I don't know what the issue may be.
http://beavisaudio.com/schematics/DOD-250-Overdrive-Schematic.htm
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

rankot

I have checked Vref, it is 4.5V. In my build, however, it is further stabilized with unused half of LM1458 with simple voltage follower.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

MaxPower

I don't see anything wrong with the schematic so double check wiring and proper component values and orientation.

mth5044

Do you get clean signal when bypassed? Are you using the signal generator into the amp/does the amp work? Do you get different voltages on your IC with/without the amp and/or guitar plugged in? Did you wire the output jack backwards?

Rob Strand

Other than connection issues with the Jacks,  check your amp isn't putting out DC at the input socket.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rankot

I AM STUPID! (sometimes) :)

And I should definitely work this when tired! I've just said: "Let's take another look at this before I throw it into recycle bin" and tried to measure DC voltages on input (in case coupling cap is dead), then measured voltage on IC pins and - voila! - noticed something not expected. Then looked a little more thoroughly and noticed that I forgot to solder PTC (which is between ground net and DC jack negative pin). :( So pedal worked when connected to my signal generator and test amp (they share the same PS, so power ground was provided through signal line), and it wasn't able to work when connected to another amp or with that test amp with guitar.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Now I have noticed something else, I've used B1M for Gain pot and it has some action at the very end, so I will try C500k or even C100k there.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

guitar.a

Hi... I'm new to the forum and I absolutely don't know how to make a post or start a new topic... So I have to write here. I made a DoD 250 pedal, the gray version, which is not so relevant to my question. And the next question is, why is there a short circuit on the output jack?  :icon_redface:This happens when I build any DoD overdrive pedal, and 308, 250 any version. The part with the clipping diodes is very strange to me, and because of it, I get a short circuit. It happens when I turn the volume pot. No one has been able to help me so far, I connect everything nicely. Can any of you? Thank you.  :)

rankot

Quote from: guitar.a on May 14, 2023, 12:30:11 PM
Hi... I'm new to the forum and I absolutely don't know how to make a post or start a new topic... So I have to write here. I made a DoD 250 pedal, the gray version, which is not so relevant to my question. And the next question is, why is there a short circuit on the output jack?  :icon_redface:This happens when I build any DoD overdrive pedal, and 308, 250 any version. The part with the clipping diodes is very strange to me, and because of it, I get a short circuit. It happens when I turn the volume pot. No one has been able to help me so far, I connect everything nicely. Can any of you? Thank you.  :)

How do you make short circuit? Could you please share a schematic and encircle the part you're talking about, together with the photo of your build?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..