2nd ever pedal! Modded Fuzz Face

Started by jdom1984, March 09, 2019, 06:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdom1984

Hey I am very proud of my 31 pack puncture fuzz! it sounds MEAN!! Like stone doom rock metal style... I wanted loads of different sounds out of one box, from over drive to fuzz and further into BIAS and SYTNH like NOISE! And I kinda made what I was aiming for. I want to add a few more POTS, GAIN and some form of TONE control.. I was going to maybe add one more strange pot to the resistor feeding the first transistor as this seemed to make some very interesting noises, making the square wave SLOW down or speed up in fequency.. Wanted to name the pots strange things like how they are. But more like Filth, Poop, Fart, Force, Volume...etc. lol... Kinda a joke but it is also a pretty filthy sounding thing that mainly us doom metal types will want. I am sure it has been done a million times but I think I put my own unique slant on it and made it sound more filthy than normal. lol.

This is a prototype soon I will put into a proper housing (will all come to about £10 from china??? so CHEAP!) and with a stomp pedal and all. I was even thinking of making a few and trying to sell them as I was so impressed. I would say best fuzz pedal I ever used! Not that I used many! lol. Just sounds, oldskool, mean, and kinda sexy in its own oldskool Jimi Hendrix kinda, overloaded tubey way...

Here is an audio example its not well played but I go through a lot of different sounds it is capable of making !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p5o8JK6SlaDas_VsQZnKC_6m_0RBivYE/view?usp=sharing

Some photos loolll. I was thinking what shall I call it? I maybe like "Satan's Fart"...

jdom1984

(edited version of the audio)

this shiz is real fam

https://youtu.be/tXtCTrD94g0

jdom1984

I know no one seems to care but I wanted to add some more pots to my amazing pedal ;-)

The Gain pot seems pretty simple, it is from the emitter of Q2 that goes to ground?

I guess following any standard NPN fuzz face schematic will be ok...

i was thinking if there is one more interesting effect I can add another pot.

I also wanted to add the footswitch to the circuit. So will follow this sorta thing eh? =

3PDT:

DPDT:

Is this all correct?

I am very excited to get this into an enclosure. The only issues I am worried about at the moment are drilling the hole into the enclosure. I have a crummy vice that uses a suction pad to attach to a table. I have a standard wall drill. I hope I can do what I need with those. Any advice would be great hah..

It is a simple circuit but I was still going to use the stripboard veroboard stuff to construct it, sticking with the 2n2222's. I will try and make it on an even smaller piece of board than my prototype, I have the large enclosures: 1590BB I could probably go small but it's my first run!

Cheers...

jdom1984

no one cares and I am pioneering the world .    ::)

vigilante397

Quote from: jdom1984 on March 14, 2019, 03:31:54 AM
no one cares and I am pioneering the world .    ::)

Don't take it personal :) Most pictures end up in the main "Pictures" thread, so individual posts like this don't generally get a lot of attention unless it's a revolutionary new design.

Glad you're enjoying the building process, and I hope you continue to do so ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

never think we don't care. it's just that some of us here don't know what shiz's or fam's are. also, why the three electros in a group?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

jdom1984

lol

what?

thanks just kidding around but I am putting this all into a enclosure with proper pots and stuff over weekend probably

super excited trying to think what to call it... it sounds horrific!!

did you listen to it?

https://youtu.be/tXtCTrD94g0

Is it normal? hahah... Seems to have much more phasing and shit going on.. I dunno what I did but I worked on this for a week every day for 10 hours lol.. And  I don't think it sounds similar to other fuzz faces.. I got it to phase like a mother@#$%er... Just worried I might be losing some super low sub bass frequencies off of my pickup.

Before I put it into a case I want to rebuild the entire thing out of stripboard and tweak some of the caps and stuff, then write that all onto a schematic so its "saved" then work at building this into an enclosure box.

I was thinking of putting 6 pots as I want it to be about satan so the number 6 is important... So far it is filth, bias, volume... I want to add some more useful things like maybe a "tone", "gain" and I liked when I swapped out one more resistor for a pot, it kinda controlled the frequency of the square wave, if you know what I mean...? will experiment more and find something weird to add. The mount of different sounds out of this thing is incredible, all the way from a light overdrive, through distortion, through fuzz into horrific satans fart like noise thats like an earth quake in a toilet pant hole of satan.

;-)

:icon_mrgreen:

jdom1984

three electro capacitors because I didnt have the right value so added them together to make it...

jdom1984

one annoying thing with my pedal is it has a nasty buzzing sound on some settings usually when "filth" is turned down... And when the volume pot on the guitar is all the way down it makes a horrible noise...

Any ideas?

jdom1984

I added the POT for GAIN/FUZZ and it barely does anything until it is turned up max then goes 100% FUZZ.. I used a 1K POT so its the smallest value I have..

Any idea?

I will move this all over to breadboard soon and finalize the design, tweak things here and there...

Gonna make my first one very soon I have all the parts and the enclosure for the first satans anus. I wanna add a glowing LED in his anus that lights up depending on how hot the signal is. Also two LEDs in his eyes which are jsut on and off if the effect is on and off...

pretty easy?

duck_arse

"ode to shetar"?

use a 1k C taper [reverse log] - or to be perverse, use a normal log, wired backwards. probably more work than worthwhile to get hizz arse a-glow w/ signal.

duck_arse

hizz glowing arse - IF you made his hole rather large, say 10mm diameter, and jambed it with something like a clear led bezel, and then built a bargraph kind of circuit that lit more leds with more signal, you could cluster the leds like hemmaroids [sp] under the bezel/lightpipe and it would get brighter as more leds came lit.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=122180.0

with all due respect to the walking dude, obvs.

jdom1984

Quote from: duck_arse on March 27, 2019, 09:12:48 AM
"ode to shetar"?

use a 1k C taper [reverse log] - or to be perverse, use a normal log, wired backwards. probably more work than worthwhile to get hizz arse a-glow w/ signal.

I am not sure what you mean about the pot I am very new to all this... I can google what you said a bit but if you have anymore info be good.

I am sure its not that hard at one point I found two connections that did what I say with the glowing LED

I am glad someone understand my satans anus

jdom1984

Quote from: duck_arse on March 27, 2019, 09:34:32 AM
hizz glowing arse - IF you made his hole rather large, say 10mm diameter, and jambed it with something like a clear led bezel, and then built a bargraph kind of circuit that lit more leds with more signal, you could cluster the leds like hemmaroids [sp] under the bezel/lightpipe and it would get brighter as more leds came lit.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=122180.0

with all due respect to the walking dude, obvs.

too complex it needs to be very simple but thanks thats cool

duck_arse

QuoteI am glad someone understand my satans anus

what's in a name?

if you head over to the wonderful site geofex.com, and look for a page [hell, read everything!] called the secret life of pots, you'll save some googooing. also look on AMZ and ESP (Rod Elliot) for resistor/potentiometer tutorials.

all pots have a taper, which describes how rotating the shaft varies the resistance. for audio, volume pots and like, we use A taper, A for audio, sometimes called log, because that [logarithmic] rate-of-change sounds and feels right to the human ear. B taper pots are linear, for controlling other things, and then there are special pots for special needs, like the C taper, is reverse log, for use in finniky gain controls. and arse circuits.

jdom1984

ok well I duno surely all my pots are the right sort as most have worked fine?

I had another question I wanted to try adding this contour pots to the fuzz face but the resistor connects to nothing in this schematic?

what does that mean?

it doesnt show earth or anythign just a resitor connected to space...

I would like to try the contour control and see how it effects the satanic anus I have created...

paul.creedy

R8 ?

it looks like it's a pot to me, with connections on two legs of three.

jdom1984

oh yeah that's kinda obvious! woops! thank you!

Ok gonna add this mofo!

If I like this I want to possibly add one more pot so there are 6 in total. You know 666?

I was thinking of a pot blending two input caps to give some more tonal control, its a bassy farty thing and I would like it if it was very versatile and people can pull back the fart a little... On one side about 30uf and the other 0.1 or summink... so there is some control over the input capacitence..

duck_arse

this fart controlling knob on your satan's arse - would you call it pumpernickel?

jdom1984

man I put a gain, pregain, tone...

it sounds amazing now.. the high end is really coming through. I mixed the signals of two different sized caps and it really works.

almost time to put this in an enclosure...

pumpernickle? i dont get it..

I wondered is there any way to make a resistor LESS resistant? my gain knob is almost useless and only has an effect right at the end of the turn. I want to make it about 1/10 of the resistance..  If the signal was going into a resistor before it came to the pot would this bring it all down so the pot is more useable? How do I make the 1k pot more like 0.1k?

thanks...