EA Tremolo, mod to get it smoother?

Started by fiestared, November 03, 2020, 03:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

I'm no expert on large, old naval guns, but if you have a couple lying around, throw them in, they might cure the problem.

otherwise, here see this diagram is how my mod would look. I couldn't quite make out your wiring from the photo:

if your oscillator is working, and you then add this part and the tremming disappears, dim the lights and see if the added leds flicker. they will if all is wired and working correctly. and I see you have red leds which will clip the oscillator signal to a lower level output, which may not be enough to work your tremming fet. this was taken into account in the original nineteen sixty something circuit - in your case, if the osc is running but not tremming, you could try and short across the R11 resistor.

when measuring voltages, put your black lead to ground, and probe with the red lead, don't be shorting pins together. then tell us the voltages from one point (B) with respect to ground, and another point [C] with respect to ground, and we can usually work out the differences and make some sense from.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

OK, you're right.. :icon_smile:

Place Black probe to ground (any point exhibiting 0V) and Red probe to Base..
(reading No 1..)
Then place Red probe to Collector while keeping Black probe to ground..
(reading No 2..)

THen, as Sthephen said, we'll result into some solution..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 05, 2020, 11:11:26 AM
Quote from: iainpunk on November 05, 2020, 06:58:52 AM
Quote from: rockola on November 05, 2020, 05:17:02 AM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 04, 2020, 08:29:25 AM
[Hollow voice from off stage]: Aren't we at the point now where re-designing the whole thing from the ground up would be easier than sticking ever more band-aids onto the hull of a sinking ship? Anyone know the story of the Vasa?
Classic case of management hubris making engineering decisions. The museum in Stockholm is well worth a visit, in a world where travel is again possible.
explain?
Basically, the king wanted more and more and bigger and bigger cannons to make his flagship the best armed in all the Baltic Sea. But the original plans for the hull were never meant to support that weight. Long story short: the best armed ship of its time barely made it out of the harbor before sinking. 1300m maiden voyage, that was it. And because the sediment in the Stockholm harbor is highly anoxic, the whole thing is beautifully preserved 400 years later. The museum is indeed great.

Andy
that is so cool, i would love to see that. i have never been to sweden as far as i remember, only to norway and finland, but i would really like to go to sweden in the future.

cjeers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

fiestared

Quote from: duck_arse on November 06, 2020, 08:35:38 AM
I'm no expert on large, old naval guns, but if you have a couple lying around, throw them in, they might cure the problem.

otherwise, here see this diagram is how my mod would look. I couldn't quite make out your wiring from the photo:

if your oscillator is working, and you then add this part and the tremming disappears, dim the lights and see if the added leds flicker. they will if all is wired and working correctly. and I see you have red leds which will clip the oscillator signal to a lower level output, which may not be enough to work your tremming fet. this was taken into account in the original nineteen sixty something circuit - in your case, if the osc is running but not tremming, you could try and short across the R11 resistor.

when measuring voltages, put your black lead to ground, and probe with the red lead, don't be shorting pins together. then tell us the voltages from one point (B) with respect to ground, and another point [C] with respect to ground, and we can usually work out the differences and make some sense from.

Hi! And thanks again! All this help is amazing. I did try this again, I had no blue leds but this time I tried with green, and I get tremolo effect! And I do Believe I hear a difference! Although even with the room completly dark I cant really say I see the leds flickering or lightning up...

Fancy Lime

Quote from: iainpunk on November 06, 2020, 08:51:33 AM
[Hollow voice from off stage]: Aren't we at the point now where re-designing the whole thing from the ground up would be easier than sticking ever more band-aids onto the hull of a sinking ship? Anyone know the story of the Vasa?
Classic case of management hubris making engineering decisions. The museum in Stockholm is well worth a visit, in a world where travel is again possible.
explain?
Basically, the king wanted more and more and bigger and bigger cannons to make his flagship the best armed in all the Baltic Sea. But the original plans for the hull were never meant to support that weight. Long story short: the best armed ship of its time barely made it out of the harbor before sinking. 1300m maiden voyage, that was it. And because the sediment in the Stockholm harbor is highly anoxic, the whole thing is beautifully preserved 400 years later. The museum is indeed great.

Andy
that is so cool, i would love to see that. i have never been to sweden as far as i remember, only to norway and finland, but i would really like to go to sweden in the future.

cjeers, Iain
Given your music taste, I would have thought Sweden was high on your to-visit list, no? Not quite the same metal band density as Finland, but the Swedes more than make up for it with punk bands. Ask Freppo :) Or maybe you were there already but it was for Midsommar and that's why you don't remember... Epic alternative record store scene in Stockholm!

Andy

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the thread but now I kind of want to see how many levels of quotes the forum can handle...
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

antonis

Quote from: fiestared on November 06, 2020, 12:29:21 PM
Although even with the room completly dark I cant really say I see the leds flickering or lightning up...

Good for LFO timming.. :icon_wink:
(not enough current to glow the LEDs hence enough current for proper LFO RC time constant..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

fiestared

Quote from: antonis on November 06, 2020, 03:23:23 PM
Although even with the room completly dark I cant really say I see the leds flickering or lightning up...

(not enough current to glow the LEDs hence enough current for proper LFO RC time constant..)

Thanks for enlightening me. Im learning a lot here. The tremolo is much sweeter sounding now, and I changed q3 to J112. A real difference there too. Thanks again everyone!

duck_arse

Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 06, 2020, 02:15:15 PM
explain?

Andy

cjeers, Iain
Given your music taste, I would have thought Sweden was high on your to-visit list, no? Not quite the same metal band density as Finland, but the Swedes more than make up for it with punk bands. Ask Freppo :) Or maybe you were there already but it was for Midsommar and that's why you don't remember... Epic alternative record store scene in Stockholm!

Andy

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the thread but now I kind of want to see how many levels of quotes the forum can handle...

what's the record?

duck_arse

Quote from: fiestared on November 06, 2020, 04:07:26 PM

Thanks for enlightening me. Im learning a lot here. The tremolo is much sweeter sounding now, and I changed q3 to J112. A real difference there too. Thanks again everyone!

excellent. and don't worry about the leds lighting - if you get tremolo, they are working. we will want to see photos of the finished build in the picures thread.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: duck_arse on November 07, 2020, 08:43:42 AM
explain?

Andy

cjeers, Iain

Andy

what's the record?
No idea.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

fiestared

Quote from: duck_arse on November 07, 2020, 08:45:42 AM
Quote from: fiestared on November 06, 2020, 04:07:26 PM

excellent. and don't worry about the leds lighting - if you get tremolo, they are working. we will want to see photos of the finished build in the picures thread.

Yes! https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125771.0

11-90-an

Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 07, 2020, 11:09:14 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on November 08, 2020, 06:49:11 AM
explain?

Andy

cjeers, Iain

Andy

what's the record?
No idea.

Probably "unlimited", until your browser barfs...  :P

dunno.. maybe create a new thread (not in the Building Your Own Stompboxes subforum, of course) specifically for this purpose?  :icon_mrgreen:
flip flop flip flop flip

duck_arse

Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 07, 2020, 11:09:14 AM
explain?

Andy

cjeers, Iain

Andy

what's the record?
No idea.

well we obviously need to ignore blue, he is just adding cannon till it flounders. I'm sure someone else expressed an interest in "how many" at some stage in the last 6 years, can't remember who it was.