Making a new battery door for green russian Big Muff

Started by yeeshkul, March 17, 2019, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

I purchased a "bubble front" green Russian BMP, but is was missing the battery door.
The original door uses spring locks on both sides, and are just pushed in. I had this sudden idea to make just one spring out of a Keystone battery clip, which seemes to have just the right flexibility and shape.

1. I used a 2mm thick aluminum sheet, 6.4mm x 3.1 mm for the door

2. I cut and bent a Keystone battery clip so it could work like a spring lock

3. This is how it looks after i have assembled all the parts together (i used rivets and a 3mm screw). The piece of metal on the other side is there to be slipped underneath the enclosure, no need for another spring.

4. And this is how it looks on the Muff itself.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

yeeshkul

It's not bad. Comparing to Ram's this one feels less aggressive, less bassy, and it is very low on hiss (it uses kinda big emitter resitors).

steve1000

hi there,

I hope everyone is doing as well as possible.

I was wondering if anyone had a battery cover for a 1990's Big Muff that they made or an original that I could buy from them?

I have checked at a few websites that I was recommended but no luck - I don't have the capabilities to make one at the moment.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

willienillie

iainpunk

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

dthurstan

Great work

Here was my attempt I did about 10 years ago.

I also did one with a power connector on it, which was useful. I think I'm going to revisit these and improve them, based on your work.

Do you use a tool for the rivets?

Dave

iainpunk

Quote from: dthurstan on October 31, 2020, 03:47:34 AM
is there even a way to do rivets without a riveting tool?

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

dthurstan

Quote from: iainpunk on October 31, 2020, 01:15:54 PM

cheers, Iain

Ok, yeah fair point Iain. I mean what do you use. Just a hammer or is there a grip tool that you can use to do riveting?

iainpunk

Quote from: dthurstan on November 06, 2020, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on October 31, 2020, 01:15:54 PM

cheers, Iain

Ok, yeah fair point Iain. I mean what do you use. Just a hammer or is there a grip tool that you can use to do riveting?
i have never heard of rivets done by hammer, you need a special riveting tool

fun fact: this woman is Rosie the riveter, she riveted plates to US war ships during WWII

cheers, Iain

EDIT: WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!! 500th post on this forum

cheers

duck_arse

heat rivet redhot, insert in hole, hammer. build a bridge.

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

amptramp

I am surprised no one has suggested 3-D printing one yet.  You might even be able to make it look like the original.  The only problem with 3-D printing is how slow it is.  The OP seems to have done a great job.

iainpunk

Quote from: duck_arse on November 07, 2020, 10:04:58 AM
heat rivet redhot, insert in hole, hammer. build a bridge.

are those rivets too? in dutch we have different names for small rivets and those big bridge building ones. i didn't realise they were also called rivets.

cheers

duck_arse

do not press red button!

the small cold rivets we'd call pop rivets or blind rivets.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.