Can i find more about triangulum boost by pedal PCB aka 33 pedal

Started by hopkinWFG, March 17, 2019, 11:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopkinWFG

Was wondering how can i know if its a ceramic capacitors or flim caps for particular position with on non polarized capacitor..... and how can i know its rated voltages for each position ?

I gotta schemetic download together with the bill of materials but seems like the voltage ratings and types of capacitors used is not stated for non polarized caps.... :(

Any help on this please and i have more questions to asl down the road.. ? Thank you....

garcho

Not sure really what you're saying but if you're wondering about voltage ratings for ceramic/film caps that will be used in pedals, forget about it, they're rated at hundreds of volts. Electrolytic capacitors are different, they tend to have wayyyyy lower ratings. The general rule of thumb for electros is to use those that are rated at twice or more what your power supply is, always rounding up so that the cap is MORE than double the PS voltage. For 9 volts, that's 18V, not the most common voltage rating for an electro, so round up. Next normal rating up is 25V or 35V. But for ceramic/film caps? Don't worry, they're usually in the hundreds of volts. Building a tube amp? Then worry about it.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

amz-fx

I normally use film capacitors when I need a value below 1uF, except values in the pF range that will need to be ceramics (most of the time).

When you use a ceramic capacitor, make sure it is a C0G or NP0 type. For example:  Mouser #594-K101J15C0GF53L2  is 100pF as needed for your project.

regards, Jack

hopkinWFG

Thanks for the advise guys.... but what a C0G and NP0 type?

bluebunny

Quote from: hopkinWFG on March 18, 2019, 12:28:16 PM
Thanks for the advise guys.... but what a C0G and NP0 type?

They are basically super-stable with respect to temperature (that's what the zero indicates).  Useful in things like VCOs.  Perhaps less critical for guitar pedals.  But you'll find little price difference, so it doesn't hurt to go all-C0G.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

amz-fx

Not only are they temperature stable, but more importantly for guitar effects, they maintain their rated capacitance under a bias voltage. Other types like Y5V, X5R, X7R, X2S (and others) will drop in capacitance under certain conditions by up to -50%! This doesn't matter much if you are using them as bypass caps, but for frequency setting in audio, it is unacceptable. Note that these X and Y types are high density capacitors such as you would find in SMD components; they are cheap and can have more capacitance in a smaller package, but at the expense of maintaining tolerance.

Best regards. Jack

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...