Guv'nor GV-2 Deep Circuit Add-on Board

Started by Axldeziak, March 22, 2019, 05:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axldeziak

Here's the Guv'nor GV-2 buffer and Deep circuit as an add-on board. I built a GV-1 awhile back and was hoping to add this board to it. It is drawn straight from the GV-2 schematic.
If anyone has any ideas or input I'd love to hear it.

Kennt82

Thank you, great first post.  I just built it, and it does add some very low end rumble, but perhaps the effect is more obvious on a bass. What's your experience?

The manual describes it as "...Deep control which adds a resonant bass boost, giving you similar feel and response to the resonant thump of a Marshall 4x12 cabinet."  and "...similar effect to the JCM2000 'Deep' switch." It suggests to leave it high most of the time.

Right now I added it to the end of a Suhr Riot clone, but I have a Danelectro Daddy-O somewhere for a more accurate test.  I found the "deep" control explained a little more here, along with some mods: http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/marshall-gv2-guvnor-plus-overdrive-distortion-pedal-how-it-works-mods.93225/

Axldeziak

I haven't had a chance to finish the board yet due to the lack of a spare TL072. I am however thinking about redrawing the tagboard to use two TL071's since I have a few of those around.
I am glad to hear it does indeed work. I'll get busy and get something knocked together and try it out myself. I'll report back on the results.

Axldeziak

After waiting for parts to arrive, and then waiting again for time to build, I finally got this tossed together. I added it to my diy Guv'nor 1 and I am really pleased with it. It definitely adds some extra bass and just a sense of something more.

Now I can't help but wonder what it would sound like in something already bass heavy, like a Blue Clipper.