News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PCB cleaning

Started by rankot, March 23, 2019, 01:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

Hi guys, I have bough some isopropyl alcohol so I can clean my pedal PCBs after soldering. But I have encountered an enigma - which tool shall I use to apply it? I tried with sponge and with ear sticks, but they both get shredded very soon, since most of my snapped leads are sharp.

Hints or ideas?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rockola

Quote from: rankot on March 23, 2019, 01:51:52 AM
Hi guys, I have bough some isopropyl alcohol so I can clean my pedal PCBs after soldering. But I have encountered an enigma - which tool shall I use to apply it?
Try a toothbrush.

Rob Strand

In general I'd say a tooth brush (soft bristle) is the most useful.  I do occasionally use ear buds and small stiff brushes for specific areas.   At work we have an alcohol dispensing bottle where we use quite a lot of liquid then some special "tough" wipes to wipe it off but we are only doing mods on development boards.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rankot

Thanks to both of you for hints! I'll try with a soft brush.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

amptramp

We used to use brushes that were straight and relatively stiff to get all of the flux out.  I believe they were made specifically for this task.

duck_arse

Quote from: amptramp on March 23, 2019, 09:34:17 AM
We used to use brushes that were straight and relatively stiff to get all of the flux out.  I believe they were made specifically for this task.

get a 1" wide paintbrush, cut the bristles right down close to leave a 3 day growth length - stiff bristles, Bob's yer uncle.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bloxstompboxes

I've used hog's hair bristle brushes like these for years. They are used by electronics manufacturer's in their rework departments and are tough and ESD safe. They work great for cleaning off flux and won't hurt surface mount components either.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Non-Abrasive-Cleaning-Bristles/dp/B004SPCXYO/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=241922555907&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9014691&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=1311542360234202382&hvtargid=aud-676677759484%3Akwd-48819510&keywords=hog+hair+brush&qid=1553354403&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

I've always used a dental pick to pop the hardened flux off then a chopped down bristle brush to remove the dust. Found board cleaning with solvents a pain to use, made a big mess unless i used copious amounts and they dissolved all my Sharpie notes i'd added to the board.
dave

Edit, i also spray a coat of lacquer on the trace side of the board to prevent copper oxidation and that gets dissolved away as well. Been a few years since i've done any electronics, rusty brain.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

EBK

I use cotton swabs, which do get shredded, as you've noted.  I pick up the shredded cotton lint with blu tack.  I should probably adopt one of these other suggestions myself. 

I did notice, however, that my cotton didn't seem to be shredding quite as much once I started using flush cutters instead of diagonal cutters to snip leads (still shredding too quickly to be an ideal solution though).
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.