CE1 Ensemble crunch by - schematic

Started by Amitay3333, April 03, 2019, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amitay3333

Quote from: jf306 on February 12, 2020, 07:20:44 AM
Hi guys,

I'm also really interested in this.  Is there anyone who could make a layout for this pedal ?  I can build a pedal from a layout, but I can't read a schematic very well yet to reproduce a layout from it..

Thanks  :)

Hii, after a long time I though why should I not give it a try again...
has anyone succeeded? mine has too much gain and its overloud...

bowanderror

The CE-1 uses an obsolete TA7136P Preamplifier IC rather than an FET-input opamp like the TL071. The probability of getting the same sound by directly swapping in a FET-input opamp like TL071 is not great.

If you do want to use an opamp instead, check out this thread. The Tonepad schematic has some interesting adaptations of a TA7136P-like circuit or you can try dropping in a BJT-input opamp like 741/RC4558 or LM709.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Amitay3333 on April 09, 2019, 03:06:55 PM
And if someone knows why next to the diodes said peak level and maybe what they r doing in the ce1 ensemble crunch that would be great!! Thnks for everybody that help😍😍😍 u r great guys!! sorry if I hurt somebody 😊

The "Peak Level" diodes in the original CE-1 are LEDs to show you when the signal starts to clip. This is important since this is an early BBD circuit with no noise gate or compander, so you need a good level to get the best S/N ratio you can. The very first version of this circuit was in the JazzChorus amp, so it had a preamp-boosted level to work with, and that's probably also why there's a deliberate preamp stage on the front of the standalone CE-1 version.

Since the diodes in the Ensemble Crunch look like standard silicon diodes (1N4148/1N914) they're clearly not Peak Level LEDs. The back-to-back arrangement does suggest clipping diodes, but as mentioned above, that makes a fairly big change from the original circuit and the Triungulo Labs webpage does claim "The CE-1 Crunch is the most faithful recreation in the world of the Boss CE-1's PREAMP, featuring the exact same schematic", so that doesn't sound too likely either. The trouble is, the other diodes in the CE-1 circuit all appear in non-Preamp parts of the circuit, so wouldn't be relevant here. I wonder if Triungulo used them in the chargepump circuit somewhere to help get closer to the original +/-13V supply?