Revealing Satan's Anus, the dirtiest fuzz ever made... (fuzz face clone mod)

Started by jdom1984, April 09, 2019, 04:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdom1984

WOW

I thought I was being super original ! :-(

lol

I guess a fuzz is the closest thing to a fart...

jdom1984

YOOOOOOOOOO

BIG UPDATE!!

PAINT JOB!!

EARLY DAYS FIRST ONE!

WILL MAKE NEATER BUT WANT IT DAMAGED LOOKING! :-)

sominka

jdom1984

jim-analog

Greetings,

Well, I see you're moving forward; keep it up! This is a bunch of stuff off the top of my head. Some of the things I've learned after many years in the business. FWIW:

I'm not exactly sure where you left off in regard to it functioning. What I'd suggest is to go back to a state where it worked well. Test it very thorough and completely in that state; do NOT change anything. Give it to friends to test with different types of gtr/amps, get more opinions and reviews from players you know, write up their suggestions and comments, record them playing if possible.

Be sure it's stable and functions repeatedly under various circumstances. When you feel any and all bugs have been fixed, then try your next modification idea. Do only ONE change at a time; no matter how small each one seems. Then re-test again as before. Continue in small steps as above and document each step; that way you can always return to a known functional condition if an unforeseen issue arises. Document EVERYTHING, any component change, layout change, part supplier, wiring, etc. Take pictures to refer back to and record the audio if possible.

It's easy to want to do more than one circuit change at a time when you get "on a roll", but extensive testing at each stage is really important if you want to make a commercial product from your idea. Documentation is key to learning as well; what worked, what didn't and also what other players think. It's very easy to fall into the trap of only your ears, set up, etc.. You'll need more data points than just yourself to be able to see the bigger picture.

Also, failures are opportunities to learn, not to get discouraged; by careful documentation you'll find you will understand more and more from any success or failure after a making a change.  Keep organized, write down/record/photograph everything (trust me, memory will fail and you'll be happy to have a documented point to go back to).

I wouldn't be too concerned about the graphics or appearance at this point; as long as the circuit is in a securely mounted state where it can be used and tested, that will suffice for now. If you get an idea for an appearance or layout change, draw it out in your notes, same as if you have an idea for a circuit change. Then when the appropriate time comes, pick up from that point in your notes.

After enough of these iterations, you'll find you hit a point of diminishing returns in regard to the circuit. That's when you freeze the design and start to finalize the appearance and layout. Do a cost out the product and concentrate on what's required for production of the final version. Get a bill of materials together, find the best suppliers and any subcontractors you may need (powder coat, engraving, whatever). Then get all the bits in one place, sit down and build your first production run.

Best of luck with your  circuit and product venture.

Regards, Jim

jdom1984

I am wiring this bad boy up!

I have learned a lot and made many mistakes! Which I was planning on doing! :-)

So. The painting is a paint in the ass I can see. The paint I have just scratches off so easily. Do I need a primer that is of a different consistency to the acrylic paint I am using? And "undercoat" as I would say.

And at the end. I have to use special Lacqure? I am using PVC glue. And it makes it look cool but I have a feeling its stupid.

Where do I put all the ground and earth? Do I attach to the metal outer enclosure shell of the thing?  Or just attach everything to eachother and then have going down negative on the jack output? that is a lot of connections all having to reach eachother inside this small box. So its easier to just earth the enclosure and attach all ground to this as it doesnt have to travel all over the enclosure to all reach eachother.

Make sense?

So I learned a lot and made a bunch fo mistakes but I will have a working pedal. WHich I will keep as my own and make better ones to sell and give away. I am warning people that it is "BETA" phase.

Thanks guys would be great to know.

Also I wanna attach the red LED to the true bypass switch. But its not in my schematic. I guess its pretty simple?

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/faq.php

Cheers.

Dom.

PRR

> painting is a paint in the ass I can see. The paint I have just scratches off so easily. Do I need a primer that is of a different consistency to the acrylic paint I am using?

Something to try (NOT cheap):

Take it down to bare metal. Sand well.

Invest(!) in 1-Shot sign-painter paint.
http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/Products/Topcoats.aspx
https://www.dickblick.com/products/1-shot-lettering-enamels/

Tough stuff!! (Better be for that price.) This is how they used to letter "Bob's Plumbing" on trucks, before computer-cut plastic was invented. Been around since 1948.

Thought: find the old-time sign-painter in your town. Bring your box. Ask if he still has 1-Shot (or knows something better), and if you can paint your box with his paint. Obviously that job does not need even 1% of a small can.

A really good tattoo artist has experience with Satan (images). Not that your artwork is bad, but a 3-way collaboration of a devilish artist and good sign paint might be real eye-popping. Maybe over-the-top (under-the-ass?) for what you want.
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

:D  looks great....wheres the demo ......we are dying to see his anus light up... :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jdom1984

Quote from: PRR on April 17, 2019, 09:41:04 PM
> painting is a paint in the ass I can see. The paint I have just scratches off so easily. Do I need a primer that is of a different consistency to the acrylic paint I am using?

Something to try (NOT cheap):

Take it down to bare metal. Sand well.

Invest(!) in 1-Shot sign-painter paint.
http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/Products/Topcoats.aspx
https://www.dickblick.com/products/1-shot-lettering-enamels/

Tough stuff!! (Better be for that price.) This is how they used to letter "Bob's Plumbing" on trucks, before computer-cut plastic was invented. Been around since 1948.

Thought: find the old-time sign-painter in your town. Bring your box. Ask if he still has 1-Shot (or knows something better), and if you can paint your box with his paint. Obviously that job does not need even 1% of a small can.

A really good tattoo artist has experience with Satan (images). Not that your artwork is bad, but a 3-way collaboration of a devilish artist and good sign paint might be real eye-popping. Maybe over-the-top (under-the-ass?) for what you want.

Hi thanks ! Yes I am not sure about the way it looks. I am talking to my friend who is a very talented illustrator. Thanks! You read my mind and great to hear someone else say that.

Your info is very useful. So this paint is a cheaper simpler option? If I want it to look a little rough ? I mean you are saying for only the primer then I can go over with acrylic paints then add some form of laquer?

jdom1984

man this is frustrating even the most basic things like the LEDS are failing

I am going through it all bit by bit adn trying to make it work nothing is working its very annoying

jdom1984

haha yeah I literally cannot get a peep outa this its driving me mad have to start all over again.. Did I miss something obvious? I think my soldering skills are shit. I am re evaluating everything and starting over. But maybe I messed some really simple connection?

sorry its all such a mess I was hoping to put it all in there neater. I will have to re evaluate everything! How i lay the cable and stuff. I am learning a lot!

If you spot something obviously wrong please let me know. I know its my own mess and I am gonna work through it. I read some stupid advice about soldering saying I should heat the surface I want to solder, and I did that and melted one peg of the bypass switch. Really dumb. So possibly ruined that whole component. I need to get my voltmeter set up and then I will know 100% if a connection is doing what it should be right?

I should brush up on all my basic electronics and get it up to scratch. Improve soldering skills and how I lay it out inside the enclosure. Very sad to spend hours doing this only to have nothing hahah. I kinda expected it though.

EBK

Yeah, that's a mess.  Looks like you were in too much of a hurry to get it to work.

A few questions:
1.  How are you powering this circuit?  More importantly, are you trying to power this and something else at the same time?

2.  In the lower right corner is that wire soldered directly to the enclosure?  If so, there is a 99.9% chance that connection is not reliable.

3.  Do you have something insulating the underside of the circuit board?

4.  Do you have a multimeter nearby?  It might be useful to simply check continuities between components that are wired together (check without the circuit being powered up, of course).  Connect the meter probes to the components, not the wire ends, to see if the wires and their associated solder blobs are actually doing what you told them to do.

Also, slow down! 
Remember the debugging paradox:  If you debug faster, it takes longer.  (I just made that up, but it seems like something that could be printed on a coffee mug or T-shirt.   :icon_razz:)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jdom1984

Quote from: EBK on April 18, 2019, 08:25:27 AM
Yeah, that's a mess.  Looks like you were in too much of a hurry to get it to work.

A few questions:
1.  How are you powering this circuit?  More importantly, are you trying to power this and something else at the same time?

2.  In the lower right corner is that wire soldered directly to the enclosure?  If so, there is a 99.9% chance that connection is not reliable.

3.  Do you have something insulating the underside of the circuit board?

4.  Do you have a multimeter nearby?  It might be useful to simply check continuities between components that are wired together (check without the circuit being powered up, of course).  Connect the meter probes to the components, not the wire ends, to see if the wires and their associated solder blobs are actually doing what you told them to do.

Also, slow down! 
Remember the debugging paradox:  If you debug faster, it takes longer.  (I just made that up, but it seems like something that could be printed on a coffee mug or T-shirt.   :icon_razz:)

grarg

its not a mess its perfect... I tell people this about myself all the time.. heheh

no that cable is not meant to be soldered to the side of the enclosure..

I will systematically go through and check everything.. I used rigid single core wire on a lot which is dumb as I cannot easily take a part and move thigns around lol.. I used it to keep everything from moving around in there as I am doing point to point wiring as its such a simple circuit..

anyway this all made me re asses the design and I think I wanna add another pot to have control of the modulation effect, the way that the signal is feeding BOTH the base and the reciever is what is causing that. Without a capacitor in there it doesnt work, odd. Anyway I discovered that effect and love it but I think having the ability to tune it to ones liking it very much worthy of a extra pot.

I will start over, its not like any of these components are expensive and I can re use the pots and footswitch.

I need to buy a multi meter and be much more methodical about everything.

Also read up on basic electronics more! haha...

I really appreciate having this forum for emotional support and useful feedback! Thanks to everyone that commented on my thread its all very helpful :-)

I WILL POST MY WORKING INTERACTIVE ANUS LED ASAP! I know its what you are all waiting for then I will be rewarded a huge investment into my businesss, right? that is how it works right? hahaha

Peace dudes and dudettes have an awesome easter weekend! :-)

Praise buddha / jesus / bunny rabbits / eggs / all that stuff...

bluebunny

Quote from: jdom1984 on April 20, 2019, 08:53:21 AM
Praise . . . bunny rabbits

And about time too...   :icon_rolleyes:                                       ;D ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jdom1984

ah man this is driving me insane...

I literally have been trying to build this circuit again and again for days and it fails every time. I am very frustrated. Everything I do seems to go wrong.

I need to have a break and do this properly.. New tips for soldering iron and better technique. It is driving me nuts and sometimes taking 10 minutes or something just to get one solder right.

I had it and threw all my electronics stuff in a box for a while. Literally like smashing my head into a brick wall over and over again.

I really do not understand why my prototype sounds so great and every time I try to re create it, it fails. Last attemnpt everything was fine but it was SUPER low gain. Like it actually didnt boost the signal at all but reduced it. ALl the pots worked and did their job but it was in a micro way and the signal was super low. I check every connection over and over again and never found anythign wrong. I destroyed that and started again. Now after hours of putting it together again it just didnt even make a peep.

ANyway..

Also I think I will make the pedal look a lot neater and find a nice image of satan online and print that out. I do not think I will call it an anus anymore. I reckon it might be easier to produce, sell and will look nicer with a more traditional simple and elegant design. Not something that literally looks like it dropped out of an orifice.

But first have to work out why this is not working, not re create-able.

Before I smash my head into a post. hahha

giving up tobacco at same time doesnt help.

maybe an image like this: