Revealing Satan's Anus, the dirtiest fuzz ever made... (fuzz face clone mod)

Started by jdom1984, April 09, 2019, 04:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdom1984

kinda realised having that bias knob near the foot pedal, it might get tapped if you aren't careful turning the effect on or off... The last one had the bias knob on the side of it.. Kinda makes sense. I like it on top to play around with though. Difficult decision! Thoughts?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jdom1984

Hmm yeah man looks kool... Just I like having it up front to mess with I tried moving it further away from the footswitch...

Really strange I am having problems with this again, just can't work out what I am doing wrong.... The volume pot was working the wrong way around, no distortion, LED not lighting up it just blinks on and then off very fast... Short circuiting it? So hard to expect any ideas  when I am just describing it hahah... Will keep trying, spent all day on this again... Nearly have TWO working fuzz's!

zz so tired but accomplished something ... :-)

jdom1984

Really strange I just can't figure out what the issue is on this second one I am making (with the nose higher up).

http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

Just looking through this. I had a feeling it might be the bypass switch as true bypass works, this is telling me to test it....

Ah will go through and test all the connections in ohms mode...

Good video to grasp the basics haha : https://youtu.be/66fnCyUkowk

UPDATE FIXED IT:

Here is an example I try to show the range of sounds so skip into it... It is a filthy sound! i might try swapping one of the transistors for a 2n3904 see if I can clean it up a little :-) I love the pedal so much fun to play around with!

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE VIDEO, TRYING TO SHOW THE VARIOUS DIFFERENT SOUNDS THIS CAN MAKE:
https://youtu.be/msAalJ6tSKI

WOW I figured it out with my voltmeter and some basic trouble shooting, I just tested the connections with the resistance mode of the multi meter and found that the grounding was not soldered correctly on the switch. A little resouldering and BAM it works! I cannot expain how satisfying this is! mwahahahhaa.....
I am very happy with this one I put a nice red led in it and with the nose raised up away from the footswitch gives a little more room to activate it...

Shame I messed up the LED a bit its a bit wonky... I should maybe hammer the marks in harder? I am just worried about denting the casing..

jdom1984

Hmm I have a couple questions...

I put a hole in my enclosure to add a switch to switch between different input/output capacitors. But after testing a few variations I am not sure the best values. I tried changing the input capacitor but am finding it hard to tell the difference. The output I can hear it is acting as a high pass filter and the smaller I make the value the LESS low end comes through? I tried a 472/4.7nf (switching out the standard 10nf (0.01uf). I believe this is reducing the low end and actually I like it, it is less farty and a nice variation from the standard sound which can be a little boomy.
Is my mind playing tricks or is this what is happening? I seem to find it is when doing some research.

The other question is about having Q1 a lower gain than Q2, many sources imply this is important but does this only apply to when using Germanium transistors? Or silicon too? Do I need to test my trannies? Just sometimes I notice the pedal comes out a bit different sounding in new builds, wondered if this is the variations in gain from the transistors or maybe just the tolerance of the capacitors making some pedals sound different from others.

Thanks! I am happily making pedals and sold some to friends now I sold my first on on Ebay! Hope it is  a little earner on the side. Well fun, beats an office job!

jdom1984

I am having issues with my current pedal, same pedal again. Well I realised I was muddling up my sleeve and ring on my jack socket this whole time, rectified that and it all sounding better but I still have an issue.

When the effect is deactivated the led is still on? It is very dim but still there. So somehow there is still a current being sent to it when the pedal is deactivated? Simply a broken 9v dc plug?

Also realised my PSU was crap and got rid of a bunch of noise with a regulated PSU.

deadastronaut

this is getting longer than one of my threads.... ;D

glad im not alone  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jdom1984

jdom1984

WEll this is a record for myself and other going through the same stuff haha and I do get some helpful hints :-)

One question I cannot find the little sticky rubber feet to put on the bottom of the pedal, seems hard to track down maybe I am not getting the terminology correct share any links?

bluebunny

Quote from: jdom1984 on January 20, 2020, 04:07:30 PM
One question I cannot find the little sticky rubber feet to put on the bottom of the pedal, seems hard to track down maybe I am not getting the terminology correct share any links?

Try searching for the little sticky rubber things that stop your bathroom cabinet slamming.  The ones I use were intended for furniture, not guitar pedals.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Sooner Boomer

Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

jdom1984

thanks a lot guys will check again... I like the adhesive ones, worried the screw on's will over lap the base of the pedal.

Strange issue with latest pedal, all works fine but some horrible high pitched feedback in the sound when the BIAS control is UP...
Was trying to add a switch in this one to change the input and output caps, I thought it was definitely the switch but I pulled it out and its still happening which is annoying as I have a hole in this enclosure for a switch now... So now I know its not the switch I will try to eliminate the problem and then probably solder the switch back into the circuit which is so much fun... -_-

I guess this is why you test the components BEFORE you build the circuit... ;-) Although from my tests it seems like everything should work so a real head scratcher !  :icon_lol:

Still need to learn more about trouble shooting, wish I could just track down the issue with the voltmeter instead of spending ages with trial and error...

Again any "bible" of soldering/beginner electronics please send my way!

jdom1984

Actually guys is a really strange problem I'm having I wonder if anyone can shed some light ?

I throught it would be easier to just make a video. The pedal works fine but if you turn up both the bias and volume pots to max a huge wall of interference and feedback starts. There are strange reactions to when you touch the metal of the case too so I guess some grounding issue is happening? There is interference on the other settings but its much less.

https://youtu.be/5M2dX7fPDsA

EBK

I have low bandwidth right now, so instead of watching the vid, I will ask:
Does the problem only occur when the pots are at 100% (i.e., no problem at 98% of the pot's travel)?  Blind guess is a broken pot resistive trace, with the problem starting once the wiper is on the other side of the break.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jdom1984

Its really strange I am completely lost. When I touch the case it effects the sound too so its aground issue?

EBK

Quote from: jdom1984 on January 21, 2020, 03:43:15 PM
Its really strange I am completely lost. When I touch the case it effects the sound too so its aground issue?
That could be consistent with the pot breaking the connection at its end position (or after some intermediate position if you maybe cooked it too much when soldering). 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jdom1984

Thanks.. I did test the pots with my multi meter and thought they seemed ok, the ohms went up to around the value of the pot as I turned it... Is there something I should look out for?

Is it ok to ground the capacitor to the last lug of the gain pot?
Like so? There are two capacitors to make it up to the 20uf (ish) needed. It is then connected to the circuits ground and through the footswitch.

Just following the classic fuzz face npn:

stonerbox

Caps in parallel works like C1+C2. You got 24.2 uF on that potentiometer. You would need a 200 uF in series with the 22 uF to land around 20 uF. But it is not worth the hassle since 22 or 24.2 uF will work just fine.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

jdom1984

I know I explained this. I'm asking if its OK to ground them in the last lug of the pot... Stoned again? ;-) I will be soon mwahahha.