phaser weird jfets confusion???

Started by njkmonty, April 11, 2019, 10:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njkmonty

i built a phaser recently using a bag of s2k30 i recently found hidden away for a while
however when i tested them on my little magic tester they come up as npn bjts?  85.8K HFE????

then i found some other ones but by a different maker  and these didnt work at all but come up as jfets???
i tried all variations of pinouts , and the npn ones worked great even when i rotated the pinout!!

im a little confused   is there a logically reason for this?

here is an example of one of the stages
(ignore the smd jfet on schematic)

Aph

I'm no expert on how those little testers work, but I have one, and there are some FET's that almost always come up as bjt's.
Needless to say, I don't rely on the tester to identify completely unknown parts.

rockola

I have a similar tester which worked fine for a long time, then all of a sudden started giving garbage results. They're cheap enough so that I just got a new one. Thinking back now, it could just have been a dodgy battery.

Anyway, if the phaser you're building requires JFET matching, that gizmo will not be of much help anyway. I wish that was one of the features. Build one of the JFET matchers, they're simple enough.

nickbungus

I've used a few fet matchers and also had good results with the gizmo.  I would like to know people's recommendations for the best matcher?
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

pinkjimiphoton

the one ya got already works pretty good imho bro,
the weird results will go away if ya flip the transistor sometimes..
a lot of times germaniums will come up as freekin jfets n stuff.
flip 'em over and suddenly it makes more sense.

also matters which sockets you use. its numbered like 1,2,3, 1 or something like that. it should be marked on the zip socket if its like mine. that way ya can accommodate a lot of different pinouts. can even read inductors with mine.

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr