It didn't catch fire . . . now with questions !

Started by paul.creedy, April 13, 2019, 04:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

googoo? whassat?

your layout diagram seems to show "3" as the hot lug of the pots. I don't ever use the numbers because of how easy it is to contangle them, but I thought 3 was usually considered CCW. your Mr Googoo's circuit dia part numbering doesn't quite match the layout numbering, either.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

paul.creedy

Quote from: duck_arse on April 16, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
googoo? whassat?

your layout diagram seems to show "3" as the hot lug of the pots. I don't ever use the numbers because of how easy it is to contangle them, but I thought 3 was usually considered CCW. your Mr Googoo's circuit dia part numbering doesn't quite match the layout numbering, either.

It does explain the Drive pot cutting out at "full" volume - as I discovered the other day, turning it down doesn't kill the sound so clearly it needs reversing :)

Once the parts I've got on order turn up I'll sort the backward pot and double-check everything else. As the schematic is direct from the creator, I would consider that most likely to be correct, even if the drive pot is back to front.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on April 16, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
but I thought 3 was usually considered CCW

Nah, mate.  Pins down, shaft pointing at you, it's 1-2-3.  But I agree - it's hardly a standard.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

paul.creedy

bluebunny

Quote from: paul.creedy on April 16, 2019, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: bluebunny on April 16, 2019, 01:08:48 PM

Pins down, shaft pointing at you

Probably best not to google that at work.

Try it.  It's all golf pictures.  :icon_rolleyes:  (I didn't scroll beyond the first couple of pages.)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

paul.creedy

The new LM386s arrived this morning and I tried an N1 (nice, but quiet - as you would expect from the specs) and an N3 (nice, and a little more "effect" which may have just been the increase in volume).

I might spend a little time playing with different transistors to see what happens but otherwise I'm considering it done :)

I boxed up my successful (finally!) build of the OK circuit so I'm now contemplating what to do next.

I could play it safe by building a Clari(not) which I have most of the parts for, chosen partly because it would continue my education by having a PT2399 to learn about.

I'd also like to begin some proper tinkering, by building something on a breadboard and adding bits of circuits to see what happens :)

Lastly (for now) I want to try the new LM386s in my Parallel Universe II as it's wildly unpredictable at the moment (I can find a nice setting which isn't there next time everything's turned on, and sometimes there's a howl of feedback when it's first switched on that needs it turning off and on again to get rid of).

I've read less than glowing remarks about them, so maybe it's just part of its charm, but nevertheless I'd like to see if anything can be done.

paul.creedy

Further news of this one - I previously mentioned picking up some LM386N-1s and N-3s but recently found some NJM386BDs, which are listed as equivalent to LM386N-4s, I tried one this morning and it's the nicest of the three, though even now the "effect" is a little quiet - it sounds like the pedal is in a blend loop and there's a little too much of the original signal coming through.

Having said all of that, I don't hate how it sounds, so it'll stay on the board to add something different to some of the other pedals.

I also built a little Klon buffer to sit in front of my ridiculous pedal chain, and it seems to be helping a number of pedals work just a little better, so all in all it's been a good week :)