Capacitors question

Started by Antonio1963, April 19, 2019, 05:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio1963

Both caps have 222 on the however one is underlined. Are they both 2.2nf?

PRR

I think it is underlined so you can tell 999 from 666. And they print the line even though 222 is unambiguous.
  • SUPPORTER

Antonio1963

I'm just wondering about the value because one of them is a lot bigger than the other but they have the same number on them.

R.G.

Physical size isn't necessarily a good indicator of capacitor value unless the capacitors being compared are (1) the same materials (such as film and type of film, ceramic and type of ceramic, etc.) and (2) the same voltage rating. Even then, the economies of packaging may lead a maker to put a smaller cap inside a larger outside package. I have seen pictures of through hole caps broken open to reveal SMD caps inside the outer package.

The only good way to tell is to do some operation that measures the capacitance, whether by meter or by testing it in a circuit.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GibsonGM

can't beat those little foreign gadgets that identify the component, some of its characteristics, and value....all for just $19.99!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Antonio1963

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 19, 2019, 10:28:02 PM
can't beat those little foreign gadgets that identify the component, some of its characteristics, and value....all for just $19.99!
Please tell me more.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bluebunny

Quote from: Kipper4 on April 19, 2019, 11:51:09 PM
Google componant tester.

Google will even compensate for Rich's spelling.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...