Capacitors value substitute

Started by Antonio1963, April 20, 2019, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio1963

I need a 8.2nf cap, I have 6.8 or 10nf.  Could either one of these be substituted or are they too far out of range?

patrick398

I think 10n is probably close enough in a lot of cases. If you really want to get close to 8.2 you can use other value caps in series or parallel to create values you need:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-13/series-and-parallel-capacitors/

Elijah-Baley

You can solder another cap exactly next where should be the 8.2nF.
6.8nF + 1.2nF in parallel to get 8nF.
Or if you have some small caps you could even use three in parallel to reach the value closer to the 8.2nF. Theorically, you have room for four caps.
Usually I wait to buy the right value.

I built it, too. But I noticed that the Decay pot don't do anything. Let us to know how it works your circuit, please. :)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Antonio1963

Thanks for the info. It really helps.

Mark Hammer

Use the 6800pf cap.  The 8200pf is used in parallel with a 4M7 resistor to smooth the ripple of the full-wave rectifier sub-circuit.  8200pf rolls off envelope ripple beginning around 4.1hz, while 6800pf begins its rolloff around around 5hz.  If you can hear that difference, you shouldn't be building veroboard pedals; you should be writing textbooks on how to design effects.

Use the 6800pf.

This is, incidentally, why I don't like tagboard/veroboard layouts.  Admittedly, they provide a service, using available materials.  But for anyone using them as a paint-by-numbers way to make a pedal, they often make it hard to know what function a given component has, and consequently what range of acceptable values could provide the same function.  It's their general non-correspondence to a schematic drawing that drives me nuts.