Two in one question

Started by paul.creedy, April 20, 2019, 03:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul.creedy

I can see how it's possible to put two circuits onto one veroboard and keep them apart, how about when it comes to joining them together ?

I've seen a schematic for using two footswitches to switch on one and then the other, is there a simple method most people use to blend the two, or use two volume pots, one for each ?

patrick398

I guess there's a fair few ways of doing it. You could blend the two circuits together using an additional circuit like this which buffers them so they don't interact with each other

Mark Hammer

It's unclear if there are additional possibilities you have in mind, or is the intent to have two circuits in parallel and simply be able to mix them or bypass the whole shooting match altogether?

paul.creedy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 21, 2019, 03:18:55 PM
It's unclear if there are additional possibilities you have in mind, or is the intent to have two circuits in parallel and simply be able to mix them or bypass the whole shooting match altogether?

Sorry - I was considering a Devi Ever BDSM that I own, which is two circuits in one box, both having a vol. control that you can use to cut one or the other side out completely. I could, of course, have a look inside and see how it's been done, but I thought that there may be other options i.e. run one after the other, and maybe there's already a method of doing that which is widely known among those of you more experienced than me, which might save me a bit of thinking/search time ;)

Mark Hammer

Much as I expected from looking at the top of one, a gutshot shows a 4PDT stompswitch for switching.  This is required because the unit is designed as a one-in/two-out pedal.  It requires one pole for input switching, two more for output switching, and a 4th for turning a status LED on and off.  Near as I can tell, it is intended to either feed two amplifiers, two channels on the same amplifier, or to feed two inputs on a mixer.

If your intent involves running either series OR parallel, then that starts to get complicated.  If run in mono/series only, then there are several options.  One possibility is what the EHX Double Muff does.  That has two fuzzes in series, with one of them always "on" (except of course in bypass), and the second one being switched in series with the first for a heavier effect.

paul.creedy

There are two output jacks on the BDSM, but if you only plug into the lower of the two you get both sides at once.

I only need mono/series.

I assume I could use two footswitches like this:

Mark Hammer

So if I've got this right, you want to be able to have A only, B only, and A into B?  Or do you also want B into A?

antonis

Last option complicates things a bit, Mark...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

paul.creedy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 21, 2019, 07:05:32 PM
So if I've got this right, you want to be able to have A only, B only, and A into B?  Or do you also want B into A?

Sorry for my lack of clarity - A only / A followed by B would be fine if it can be done with a toggle switch, or A only / B only / A followed by B (rather than in parallel) if that's also doable fairly simply.

Using the two foot switches looks a simple way of doing the second, I'm just trying to see if I can do the first without a foot switch or making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm thinking of trying this with a doubled-up simple fuzz circuit, as much to help me understand different ways these things can be made to work as anything else. 

antonis

For A only / B only / A followed by B you only need each effect stompswitch..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

Antonis is absolutely correct.  You simply wire up a bypass switch for each pedal, and instead of running the output lead of the A switch to an output jack (which you'd do if it was a single pedal), you run it to the input lug of the stompswitch for B.