replacement forLM 13700

Started by Diego A, April 22, 2019, 06:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego A

Hi there!

I´m building the Merlin Compressor and one of the ic´s a LM13700 (hard to find in my country), is there a good replacement? i have a few CA3080, can i use them in any sort of way?

Thanks in advance!

highwater

A CA3080 will work fine, as long as it's a real 3080 (counterfeits are fairly common).

You can also use an LM13600 (the only difference is in the buffer, which the ET doesn't use).
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

Diego A

Quote from: highwater on April 22, 2019, 08:37:12 PM
A CA3080 will work fine, as long as it's a real 3080 (counterfeits are fairly common).

You can also use an LM13600 (the only difference is in the buffer, which the ET doesn't use).

So how i do it? since the LM has 16 pins and the 3080 just 8, two of them?

bluebunny

The Engineer's Thumb only uses half the LM13700, so one CA3080 is sufficient.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

highwater

It depends on how you want to build it. The pins on the '3080 are arranged completely differently from a '13x00; you either need a layout (or PCB) that's designed for the 8-pin chip, or an adapter of some kind*.

There is a verified stripboard layout of a '3080-based Engineer's Thumb with at Tagboard Effects. There may be PCB and/or perfboard layouts as-well, but I'm not aware of them.

---

*For testing purposes, the original creators of the 13700 and 13600 made such an adapter from two 3080s, two transistors, sockets, and some wires. Because the Engineer's Thumb only uses one OTA from the '13x00, and doesn't use the buffers, so your adapter would be much simpler than that; just an 8-pin socket and wires to solder where the corresponding pins of the '13x00 would go on.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

Mark Hammer

Can you obtain an NE5517?  They are essentially the same as an LM13700.

Diego A

Quote from: bluebunny on April 23, 2019, 02:28:06 AM
The Engineer's Thumb only uses half the LM13700, so one CA3080 is sufficient.

For sure, íll have to figure out the pinout of course.  BTW nice avatar!  :)
Quote from: highwater on April 23, 2019, 02:28:37 AM
It depends on how you want to build it. The pins on the '3080 are arranged completely differently from a '13x00; you either need a layout (or PCB) that's designed for the 8-pin chip, or an adapter of some kind*.

There is a verified stripboard layout of a '3080-based Engineer's Thumb with at Tagboard Effects. There may be PCB and/or perfboard layouts as-well, but I'm not aware of them.

---

*For testing purposes, the original creators of the 13700 and 13600 made such an adapter from two 3080s, two transistors, sockets, and some wires. Because the Engineer's Thumb only uses one OTA from the '13x00, and doesn't use the buffers, so your adapter would be much simpler than that; just an 8-pin socket and wires to solder where the corresponding pins of the '13x00 would go on.

Thanks!, i´ll see if i can find an adapter.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 23, 2019, 10:26:53 AM
Can you obtain an NE5517?  They are essentially the same as an LM13700.

I think i can! it´s the same as NE571N??

PRR

> same as NE571N??

Not at all. (Look-up datasheets! While the '571 "can" change gain, it is not set up anything like LM13700.)

LM13700 should be readily available nearly everywhere, by mail/web-order not in a local shop.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

The NE5517 and NE571 share some letters and some numbers, but they are two entirely different chips.  The 5517 is dual OTA-with-buffer, like the LM13700.

deadastronaut

i have fake 13700's....   :'(

i breaded up the ET ....no joy. buy from a good dealer. lots of fakes out there :'(
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Diego A

Many thanks to everyone,  i´ve learned a lot, i found a pcb that i can use for my purposes.

:D

jimladladlooklike

Quote from: deadastronaut on April 24, 2019, 06:41:08 AM
i have fake 13700's....   :'(

i breaded up the ET ....no joy. buy from a good dealer. lots of fakes out there :'(

How can you tell if they're fake? I have recently finished building the ET and it doesn't sound quite right... how did your breaded version sound?

merlinb

Unpopular opinion: 90% of the 'fakes' reported on this site are just people building stuff wrong

digi2t

Quote from: merlinb on May 09, 2019, 02:16:13 PM
Unpopular opinion: 90% of the 'fakes' reported on this site are just people building stuff wrong

Sooooo, what you're telling me is that I should have been building a buffer, rather than a compressor with that fake 3080.

@#$%.... I feel so stupid.  (face palm)

True story however, I ordered a dozen 2N4854 cans (NPN/PNP pair) from UT Source not too long ago. They're uber rare, the price was cheap, and I thought they would look cool in a Push me Pull you type circuit. Anyway, what I got was cans marked as "Motorola 2N4854"'s. What they tested as was a pair of N-channel JFET's in a can. Got a refund, and they got tossed to the corner of the bench.

Fast forward a couple of months.... I started looking for dual JFET packages to stand in for the obselete TIS70 in the Hi Fli project. For shits and grins, I pulled out one of the "2N4854"'s from UT, and ran them it through the tester. Well guess what... they tested perfect in Vgs (off), Vgs, and Idss range for the Hi Fli.

Go figure.  :icon_confused:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK