RF5611ANP-011 Whaa??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, April 28, 2019, 02:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Found quite a few Reticon RF5611ANP-011 chips in a stash I had. Anyone got an idea on them? I know the 5609s are sought after for EHX 16-second delay repairs but, I am wondering what these could be used for.

Thanks!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

anotherjim

Aside from waving in the face of some hapless service engineer in urgent need of them, no, I have no sensible suggestion  :icon_evil:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: anotherjim on April 28, 2019, 03:53:00 PM
Aside from waving in the face of some hapless service engineer in urgent need of them, no, I have no sensible suggestion  :icon_evil:

Ha! I knew there was a reason that I still had them around.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

The best I could find out is that it probably makes one helluva good rumble filter for vinyl discs, as a switched-capacitor highpass filter.

But that kind of begs the question: are there plug-ins to do the same thing for folks converting vinyl to MP3s or some other digital format?

anotherjim

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 28, 2019, 05:38:27 PM
The best I could find out is that it probably makes one helluva good rumble filter for vinyl discs, as a switched-capacitor highpass filter.

But that kind of begs the question: are there plug-ins to do the same thing for folks converting vinyl to MP3s or some other digital format?
I think most would rely on the hardware rumble filter in the phono preamp.
Back when the best most of us had was 16bit recording basic soundcard codec chips, cutting rumble on the way in would be a good way of improving headroom. With better chips and 24bit recording, we don't have to care so much and do any kind of filtering on the sound files without fear of reducing quality.

Mark Hammer

Not to get too picky about it, but subsonic stuff is not only relevant to amp headroom, but speaker performance as well.  The digital stuff can manage down to the single digits, but the speakers we listen through, not so much.  Most circuits for rumble filters I've seen tend to be fixed, or two-position, highpass, so more complex sharper slopes, with variable corner frequency, are a desirable thing.  Rapidly diminishing market niche, I'll grant you, but still serviceable for those who might need it.

PRR

> good rumble filter

Doesn't that put the clock rate in the high audio band? (I did not digest the datasheet.)
  • SUPPORTER

Prehistoricman

Quote from: PRR on April 29, 2019, 11:10:59 AM
> good rumble filter

Doesn't that put the clock rate in the high audio band? (I did not digest the datasheet.)

This is correct. Typical cutoff frequency is 500 times the clock frequency.

In the absence of sensible ideas, here's something to ignore:
Feed the signal in into a PLL, multiply that frequency by a large factor idk and use that to clock the filter.
The idea is that low notes won't be filtered out (could have low clock issues again) and high notes will have the bass filtered out.

Mark Hammer

When I made the suggestion, I hadn't considered the requisite clock frequency.  I thought "Hmm, what is a practical use for a highpass filter at the present time?", and rumble filter came to mind.  I think I spent too much time perusing all those 1980s magazines at the americanradiohistory site!   :icon_lol:

garcho

the corner is 10Hz to 5kHz, maybe you could use it as a filter for some kind of trigger?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"