Ludwig Phase 2 Fuzz issue

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, May 08, 2019, 08:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Hoping to get some feedback on this....

With the Fuzz footswitch ON and Fuzz/Voice toggle set to Fuzz, and the Fuzz Mix pot set to full CW... I am getting a significant drop in output volume. Once I change the toggle to Voice, I get all of my output volume back.

According to one popular Phase 2 guru.... when the toggle is in Fuzz, the Mix pot acts like a Fuzz volume control. I get no change in output with sweeping the pot. Consequently, when the toggle is in Voice mode, I am seeing a change from 7-10 o'clock but nothing much after that.

A few notes to add:

- I ran out of 1/4W 470K resistors so, I used 1/8W instead. All 3 of these seem to be involved in the Fuzz section.
- I do not have the treadle pedal connected. This testing was done using just the Phase 2's internal Animation and settings (Is the treadle needed for proper Fuzz operation?)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Govmnt_Lacky

Another item to note as I look through the build doc/prints....

Are the Hi Z and Lo Z inputs swapped on the wiring layout? I am asking because they do not seem to match up with the schematic. According to both of them, you have your Hi Z input going directly to the Lo Z Balance pot???

Any ideas? RG??
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 08, 2019, 12:19:03 PM
Another item to note as I look through the build doc/prints....

Are the Hi Z and Lo Z inputs swapped on the wiring layout? I am asking because they do not seem to match up with the schematic. According to both of them, you have your Hi Z input going directly to the Lo Z Balance pot???

Any ideas? RG??

Hmmm, never noticed that before. It would seem that they simply labelled the wrong way around in the document. Good spot. I'll make the correction.

We had a similar error with the power wires not too long ago. Helps to have all these sharp eyes on the lookout. :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

greg, the fuzz without the filter on is really thin brite and anemic. full up on the control will be ok with the fuzz switch one way, the other will wanna be more in the middle.
it DOES need the treadle for everything to work right as i recall.

when the filter is engaged it does get a substantial boost, so thats probably normal. without the treadle you can still seep the formants with the lfo, but it may stall. if it stalls out of phase it will also sound real thin.

you know you got it when the sweep sounds like its making the guitar sound like its moving not left to right, but forward and back in the stereo field. its supremely trippy and can freak an audience out when it seems like the music suddenly is coming from behind them ;)

hope that helps bro
peace
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks gents! I ended up getting it fixed last night. It was either me replacing the 1/8W 470K resistors with 1/4W -OR- it was refreshing some solder points along the Fuzz/Voice toggle and along the Fuzz parts of the circuit. Either way, I now get a line level output when the toggle is in Fuzz mode.

Now, I need to dial in the Yoy! It is almost there but needs a little tweak to get it perfect.