PCB as graphic overlay?

Started by T. B., May 22, 2019, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. B.

Hello,
     I was wondering if there are reasons (other than cost) that builders don't use a PCB as a graphic overlay for the top of their stomp boxes instead of decals or paint.  Is there some health concerns that prohibit this?

Thanks

Kevin Mitchell

This has been talked about recently - photos and all. It seems to be uncommon for anyone to use an overlay for their pedals. Frankly it's unnecessary if we can just draw on the box  :o

I'm sure it has it's pros and cons. But the redundancy overpowers all.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

dschwartz

Quote from: T. B. on May 22, 2019, 04:29:00 PM
Hello,
     I was wondering if there are reasons (other than cost) that builders don't use a PCB as a graphic overlay for the top of their stomp boxes instead of decals or paint.  Is there some health concerns that prohibit this?

Thanks
I use PCB as graphic overlays for my production pedals.
Here where i live (Chile) it's almost impossible to get decent silkscreen services or to make other materials overlays.
With JLPCB or makerfabs, elecrow etc prices, i can get volume in the hundreds without busting the bank.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

merlinb

Quote from: dschwartz on May 22, 2019, 07:23:19 PM
Here where i live (Chile) it's almost impossible to get decent silkscreen services or to make other materials overlays.
With JLPCB or makerfabs, elecrow etc prices, i can get volume in the hundreds without busting the bank.
That is NICE work

QuoteThis has been talked about recently - photos and all.
Link?

patrick398

Quote from: dschwartz on May 22, 2019, 07:23:19 PM

I don't much like the idea of using an actual PCB as a faceplate but it hadn't occurred to me that the same design/manufacture process could be used to create professional looking custom faceplates. Great idea, thanks!

EDIT: I can't tell if it's what you have done on yours but wouldn't it be possible to have text on the solder mask layer to get a metallic text effect?

Phoenix

Quote from: patrick398 on May 23, 2019, 03:55:51 AM
EDIT: I can't tell if it's what you have done on yours but wouldn't it be possible to have text on the solder mask layer to get a metallic text effect?

Yes, I've done that a number of times before. It takes some futzing-around with my EDA (KiCAD), but allows some cool effects, including a subtle 3D "relief" effect with graphics UNDER the soldermask in the copper layer.

MrStab

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

dschwartz

Tubes are overrated!!

MrStab

cheers! i posted a thread on this a few months back for advice, and those are my results. this batch is a bit thick for the pot bushings at the standard 1.6mm, so the next lot will be thinner.

i only noticed that the in/out jacks were off after posting this. it's already been sold lol. ah well.
Recovered guitar player.

patrick398

Any chance of a link to this thread? I had a search but couldn't find it with all the relevant search terms i could think of

MrStab

Recovered guitar player.

patrick398

Quote from: MrStab on May 27, 2019, 04:58:53 PM
here you go, Patrick:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=122204.0

Thanks a lot man!

p.s - I also have psoriasis. Different thread, long time ago, weird time to bring it up haha

MrStab

lol i think i remember making a late-night, less-than-sober driveby post about that in the OT forum a few months back
Recovered guitar player.

patrick398

How are you guys getting graphics on to the PCBs? I've got very small basic graphics on the PCBs i've just sent off for manufacture but for faceplates i'm hoping to avoid the clunky bmp import on Eagle. I've spent days researching this without much luck. There must be a way of importing vectors in eagle no?

dschwartz

Use KICAD, it has a nice .png import tool that lets you create a graphic into the silkscreen or soldermask layer. You create an object with it (a .mod file) and then edit the file on notepad to change the layer of the drawing, if needed.
Tubes are overrated!!

patrick398

Excellent, thank you :)
Just when i was starting to get my head around Eagle i'll have to start again with Kicad...the fun never stops haha

MrStab

i use Diptrace and set it as the silkscreen layer. i could've probably done all the artwork within Diptrace, but i imported a BMP for the knob markings. i made sure i knew exactly how big the image should be in real life, and adjusted it to that size within the program. Diptrace doesn't have a particularly great import system, either.
Recovered guitar player.