News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Toe Screamer

Started by EBK, May 23, 2019, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Not a finished pedal yet, but wanted to share nonetheless because I intend to finish it.  I mostly plan to waste everyone's bandwidth with yet another super long build thread for a crazy idea that will probably take years to complete (I think I have at least three of these loose ends; I've lost track).   :icon_razz:

If you missed the first time(s) I teased up this idea, the spikes were a flea market find (100 of each size for $1), and the project name at this moment is Toe Screamer.  This is part of my effort to rehouse some stuff I built earlier in my building career so that I can enjoy some of my pedals that sound awesome but currently look less than awesome.  The circuit for this pedal is a tubescreamer with Landgraff mods. It was from a GGG kit. 

The Lego brick was mine, not stolen from my kids.  :icon_razz:

I drilled all those holes by hand, which was not a fantastic choice.  I will very likely end up redoing it, spreading the spikes out a bit more and paying someone with CNC capabilities to make the holes. 

I have a lighting idea that would require another 12 holes, which would be between the stomp washer and the inner ring of spikes, lit from inside the box with a microcontroller-simulated flame flicker, possibly (probably) with light behavior being affected by the gain pot position (a dual gang pot would make this pretty easy).  I have no current plans to add smoke.   :icon_wink:

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

patrick398

I love it. It seems a shame not to electrify the entire enclosure

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: patrick398 on May 23, 2019, 11:15:12 AM
It seems a shame not to electrify the entire enclosure
+1 on that.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on May 23, 2019, 10:36:25 AM

When i saw the title I assumed it would just be another TS mod. When I saw that you were the one that posted it I figured it would be something a little unconventional, and was expecting to see weird. You still managed to surprise me :icon_eek:

Excited for another quality thread though 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Eric.. I built a prototype tube screamer board.. and it did not work.  I have not gotten around to troubleshooting it yet.  It could just be something dumb.... When I figure it out, you are welcome to a PCB as a test-builder... MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

EBK

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 23, 2019, 11:45:52 AM
Eric.. I built a prototype tube screamer board.. and it did not work.  I have not gotten around to troubleshooting it yet.  It could just be something dumb.... When I figure it out, you are welcome to a PCB as a test-builder... MC
Thanks, Mark!
Although, I'm so buried in boards that need built that I might have to try building an enclosure out of boards to house a future project.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

The monks of the Shaolin Temple are waiting patiently for the chance to rock one of these. Due to fossil fuel limitation controls, they can't walk on hot coals any more.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on May 23, 2019, 03:49:00 PM
I'm so buried in boards that need built that I might have to try building an enclosure out of boards to house a future project.

Oh man, I can't believe I never thought of that! I have loads of boards that I made unfixable mistakes on that aren't worth fixing but I can't bring myself to throw away. This would be perfect! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

amptramp

Quote from: EBK on May 23, 2019, 10:36:25 AM
Not a finished pedal yet, but wanted to share nonetheless because I intend to finish it.  I mostly plan to waste everyone's bandwidth with yet another super long build thread for a crazy idea that will probably take years to complete (I think I have at least three of these loose ends; I've lost track).   :icon_razz:

I have a lighting idea that would require another 12 holes, which would be between the stomp washer and the inner ring of spikes, lit from inside the box with a microcontroller-simulated flame flicker, possibly (probably) with light behavior being affected by the gain pot position (a dual gang pot would make this pretty easy). I have no current plans to add smoke.   :icon_wink:

That's not the way it works - none of us ever planned to let the smoke out.

pinkjimiphoton

Thanks, Mark!
Although, I'm so buried in boards that need built that I might have to try building an enclosure out of boards to house a future project.  :icon_lol:

:icon_eek:
you are my hero <3 lol   8)

then goop the whole thing so it don't short out with clearcoat so it's

oooh!!

shiney!!!
  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 23, 2019, 04:55:31 PM
I'm so buried in boards that need built that I might have to try building an enclosure out of boards to house a future project.

Oh man, I can't believe I never thought of that! I have loads of boards that I made unfixable mistakes on that aren't worth fixing but I can't bring myself to throw away. This would be perfect! ;D

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 23, 2019, 06:48:42 PM
:icon_eek:
you are my hero <3 lol   8)

then goop the whole thing so it don't short out with clearcoat so it's

oooh!!

shiney!!!

I'm going to rely on one of you to make that real.  I can't be the only one seeking to expand the boundaries of possibility.  :icon_wink:

We are the [stompbox]-makers.
  And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
  And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
  On whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers
  Of the world forever, it seems.

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on May 23, 2019, 08:58:15 PM
I'm going to rely on one of you to make that real.

I am on it 8) I have a big 1590BB project I just gave up on troubleshooting so I have about a dozen large, unusable boards.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

willienillie

Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch.

No problem!

EBK

I think I'm going to buy one of these to play around with for my flame lighting.  It will draw a ton of current (relatively speaking), I'm sure, but could look pretty cool to compensate for that.   :icon_wink:

That is a neopixel array, by the way -- individually programmable RGB LEDs.

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: willienillie on May 24, 2019, 12:30:37 PM

Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch Irish wristwatch.

No problem!

you say potatoe, I say "is that the time? I have to go".
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

willienillie

^
^
I like your nail polish, Eric.

EBK

Quote from: willienillie on May 25, 2019, 12:25:54 PM
^
^
I like your nail polish, Eric.
I almost commented about that when I posted the pic.

I did end up ordering one of the 12-pixel rings.  I think I will try this guy's code first:

I'll be using an Arduino Pro Trinket, at least for prototyping and tweaking.

My current plan is to have a separate hole in the enclosure above each pixel.

The dimensions of the 12-pixel ring are:
Outer diameter: 36.8mm / 1.5"
Inner diameter: 23.3mm / 1"

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Eric - do those spikes have any spanner-flats above panel, for tightening? spanner-flats? is that a thing?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on May 26, 2019, 10:04:08 AM
Eric - do those spikes have any spanner-flats above panel, for tightening? spanner-flats? is that a thing?
No flats.  They are round at the base.  I'll probably add some thread-loc to the final build to keep things secured.

"Spanner" isn't a word in 'merican English (we can it a wrench for some reason), so I can't officially comment on whether "spanner-flat" is a real thing.   :icon_wink: 
  • SUPPORTER