LED loose in Bezel

Started by blacKtearZ, May 24, 2019, 01:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacKtearZ

SSo, I bought a bunch of these chrome bezels for 5mm LED's. However, I find that even after using the plastic retainer, the LED's seem to be very loose in there. You can actually move the LED around from the top after mounting in pedal. Is there a special trick to using these that i am missing?

italianguy63

Nope... if it bothers you.. you can use a spot of super-glue.  I find that sometimes the plastic retainer wants to back out-- especially on the 3mm variety.

Oh, and I only use the metal ones.. not the plastic ones.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

antonis

Plastic retainer needs to be firmly pressed inside bezel..
(when I say "firmly" I mean almost a kg-99999 before break..) :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

Why should it be tight? It's not a water-pump seal.

If it rattles-- Play Louder! Me, I'd use Elmer's glue. It fills space but won't stick to (or rot) plastic or metal, will come apart easy.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on May 24, 2019, 03:46:20 PM

No, its worse than that! It's supposed to keep beer out!

blacKtearZ

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 24, 2019, 07:41:44 PM
Quote from: PRR on May 24, 2019, 03:46:20 PM

No, its worse than that! It's supposed to keep beer out!

Exactly

digi2t

Hot glue.

(This was my son's solution to fixing all broken things when he was much younger. :icon_lol:)
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

MrStab

there are bezels with the semi-transparent plastic insulator thingies, which are generally a bit loose, and there are ones with a tight rubber insulator. those seem to be of a better quality overall, and are slightly taller on the outside.

you can find them here: https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-r9-4815-5mm-recessed-bezel-led-holder-55-0275
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

stallik

Only seen a couple of loose ones and have 'fixed' them with a little pressure from some snipe nose pliers in one direction only. Be careful as the metal is quite weak
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Govmnt_Lacky

I have foresaken metal LED bezels. After the week long marathon of troubleshooting due to an LED leg ever-so-slightly touching a metal bezel and shorting to the enclosure due to a small hole in the plastic guide.  :icon_rolleyes:

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

stallik

I've fitted tricolour leds into the 3mm version which requires careful insulation and hot melt glue. I've had problems when I've rushed the job and while I should by now have found an alternative, I just like the look of them :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein