Letting neural networks come up with new pedal names

Started by EBK, May 31, 2019, 05:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

What about "nouning".   
(I won't suggest abstract nouns in fear of Richard Feynman rising from his grave and zapping me - despite the small probability of the event occuring.)

:)          :o
      \     /
      /     \
:icon_evil:          :icon_mrgreen:
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 31, 2019, 05:51:52 AM
Richard Feynman Rising from His Grave and Zapping Me
We'll add that gem to the list of names.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

teemuk

Brilliant.  :icon_lol:

Nice to notice I'm not the only one who regards this pedal naming convention getting way out of hand. I nearly spilled my coffee looking at those example pedals with their ludicrous names and knob titles like "Hahaha", "No" and "You Wish".  :icon_lol:

BTW, reminds me of the "Unholy Black Metal Songtitle-O-Matic":
http://metalseb.free.fr/index.php

Seems to me that "randomness" generates about as valid results as "neural networks".  :icon_wink:

EBK

Some of the more absurd examples are oddly believable.  I believe I am so desensitized that I wouldn't doubt the existence of a pedal called Cloudthunder Screaming Bird Tremolo.   :icon_rolleyes:

Plus, you have to admit that a 3-in-1 pedal called Bare Knuckle Biochemistry Professor, Neuroscientist And Librarian does sound pretty sweet.   :icon_lol:  A punchy overdrive with a trippy filter and a noise gate, no? 

And, although "Electric Sheep Fuzz" may seem unsettling to the researcher, there does exist an actual pedal called "Electric Sheep Discrete Overdrive".
  • SUPPORTER

samhay

I recall this blog from some time past, when they were training a neutral network to name paint colours.
"Turdly" is probably the best name for a brown paint I could ever imagine.

https://aiweirdness.com/search/paint
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

willienillie

QuoteI believe I am so desensitized that I wouldn't doubt the existence of a pedal called Cloudthunder Screaming Bird Tremolo.

Well there is a Screaming Bird, but it's not a tremolo.

duck_arse

QuoteAnd, although "Electric Sheep Fuzz" may seem unsettling to the researcher ....

believe me when I say, Eric, I am currently working on a fuzz covered with sheep fleece. I couldn't get any cow hide.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on May 31, 2019, 10:46:10 AM
QuoteAnd, although "Electric Sheep Fuzz" may seem unsettling to the researcher ....

believe me when I say, Eric, I am currently working on a fuzz covered with sheep fleece. I couldn't get any cow hide.
I've seen your upholstered creations before, so I definitely believe it.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • SUPPORTER

paul.creedy

samhay

>Akahashi Harp of Confusion

This is my favourite too.
Not sure they work as pedal names, but 'Dangerous But Not Unbearably So' and 'Doomed To Think Or Predict in Chord Form' both get honourable mentions.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

stallik

Quote from: samhay on May 31, 2019, 08:18:32 AM
I recall this blog from some time past, when they were training a neutral network to name paint colours.
"Turdly" is probably the best name for a brown paint I could ever imagine.

https://aiweirdness.com/search/paint

and 'Dog Shit Brown' is a new PANTONE reference colour ;)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Mark Hammer

We play a game in our home called "the Ikea game".  One individual comes up with a name that sounds vaguely Scandinavian to our ears (umlauts are optional), and then you have to determine what the item is, or rather what sort of item the name would be appropriately applied to.  So, for instance a "Stuupen" could be a small kitchen step-up for reached higher cupboards..

I suppose a similar game could be created for pedals.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 31, 2019, 05:51:52 AM
(I won't suggest abstract nouns in fear of Richard Feynman rising from his grave and zapping me - despite the small probability of the event occuring.)

Given that he worked in Quantum Physics, I wouldn't rule it out. Small probabilities is pretty much bread and butter stuff. Have you ever heard of Schrödinger's Feynman? You don't know if he's dead or or not until you open the box....!!

amptramp

I made one pedal called "Here Come the Fuzz" and I think you can figure out what it is.  It would be interesting to see how the neural network was programmed.  Someone else might get completely different names.

I must admit, the Librarian Noise Gate would be an excellent name.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: amptramp on May 31, 2019, 04:51:47 PM
I must admit, the Librarian Noise Gate would be an excellent name.
Maybe "Shut up OR Play your guitar" for a noise reduction pedal?

stallik

IKEA play the ikea game too. Apparently, those names mean nothing in any language.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

EBK

Neural net autocomplete fun:

Input:
"My favorite guitar effect is definitely"

Result:
QuoteMy favorite guitar effect is definitely iced, not because it's my favourite but because it brings tears to my eyes. It is absolutely perfect if I have a dry, sweaty foot. (The next day I'd be wearing some kind of sock made of a plastic. No pun intended.) I'll always be searching for iced pedals.

https://talktotransformer.com/

One more:

Input: "The thing I love about my telecaster is"

Result:
QuoteThe thing I love about my telecaster is that it's a little more rugged than most of our modern guitars. The bridge has a thin layer of plastic, and that helps it be stronger than most guitars of the time. The volume controls are made from a little piece of wood, and it's a great looking instrument for an old school girl. It's the most popular instrument in the shop.

The Telecaster is perfect in this room, but I think it would be nice on a piano. In fact, I could see it playing beautifully on the piano.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Great fun! I was amused by this:

Bluestone valve amp

The Bluestone is a very powerful piece of equipment but the output range is far away from anything we would prefer. The amp is very quiet which, along with the fact it's a low output, comes on very hot and, when combined with the volume knob on the rear, it can easily be abused by someone who just needs a quick trip to the garage with their guitar. One of the keys, and perhaps the limiting element in your tone, is choosing an amplifier that produces a balanced sound. If you find that you struggle with that, you may need to spend a bit more money in order to get one or two more tubes that feature balanced tone

EBK

But, can it write song lyrics?  Yes!  Just not great ones.....

Input:"Here are the lyrics to my new song, Hagfish:"

Result:
QuoteHere are the lyrics to my new song, Hagfish:

She was a fish

She was a fish,

She was a fish,

She was a fish (I can't remember)

A fish with two eyes

She was a fish,

A fish with two eyes

She was a fish.

A fish and her mouth were big

She was a fish,

He called her baby.

She was a fish, she cried.

She was a fish,

He took her to the beach and left her in her shell.

She was a fish, she was a fish
  • SUPPORTER