Letting neural networks come up with new pedal names

Started by EBK, May 31, 2019, 05:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: Fancy Lime on June 09, 2019, 08:07:30 AM
"Enhanced Onslaught Damage", huh? Pretty good name for a fuzz pedal with the plethora of chaotic noise features it described earlier.
Several times now, I've ended up looking up some phrases that this neural net spits out, thinking that there is no way it just made that up, and it must already mean something.  Again and again, I am surprised to find gold like this is actually original. 

Yesterday, it completely made up the word ichthyospermia when asked to complete the first verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: EBK on June 09, 2019, 08:19:02 AM
Several times now, I've ended up looking up some phrases that this neural net spits out, thinking that there is no way it just made that up, and it must already mean something.  Again and again, I am surprised to find gold like this is actually original. 

Yesterday, it completely made up the word ichthyospermia when asked to complete the first verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.   :icon_lol:

More likely that it knows Greek and has read a lot of paleontology or biology textbooks. "Ichtyospermia" would be the name of the biological Order of "Fishseedlings". I put that theory to the test, asking Transformer: "Ichtyosperms are". Result:

QuoteIchtyosperms are also known as Nocipitid Peripheral Glands (Psigopilotidae) or Choristae, meaning "fever-flowering," because they may have the ability to release strong chemicals that cause acute pain and inflammation. These are referred to as phalanptic pheromones, and they typically have toxic and sedating qualities.

The most common types of phalanphaphors (in animals) range from irritating to innocuous, or just a lot of chemicals.

What happens?

Some chemicals produced by the glands produce symptoms or can cause an allergic reaction. Other chemicals, like the insecticide-like compounds (Pomo-N-Cyclohexenes), and their derivatives, can be extremely toxic. These chemicals may produce intense skin pain or even, in extreme cases, cause cancer.

What can I do?

A safe way to think about phalaenoplasmas is "pain" or something it feels like. One of the main reasons to practice an eczema protocol is to make your skin feel better and reduce or eliminate the symptoms caused by the allergies.

So far, there's a lot of information out there available to you if you are wondering what causes this type of hypersensitivity. The answer may surprise you. While there are

So... no, apparently Transformer does not speak Greek. But it went absolutely berserk with the word inventions this time. And I am completely lost where "Nocipitid Peripheral Glands (Psigopilotidae) or Choristae" could come from.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

EBK

Want to learn another language?
Input:
The phrase, "There is nothing unusual here," translates into Japanese as:

QuoteThe phrase, "There is nothing unusual here," translates into Japanese as: ステールのあるとくはり紫. (suwatari to iru no ryareba)

Sōseki nara dake ga sūri ni shimasuru, naku ga shiru wa nikka.

There is no unusual thing here.

To put that in layman's terms, it has to do with something that's pretty common. Take the word "sushi." A sushi chef cooks only sushi with soy sauce and other condiments, and that's what Sōseki means.

There are many phrases like this that express the feeling of knowing it's okay for something to happen, but that's not the case in English, where "just something" in English just means something to do, and in Japanese it means something to learn.

Looks very legit, doesn't it?  It even gives plenty of context to help understand the nuance involved in each language's version of that phrase.  Google Translate, however, tells me that ステールのあるとくはり紫 more likely means: It is purple when it has a tail.

Also, sōseki loosely means "stubborn".
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote"Enhanced Onslaught Damage", huh? Pretty good name for a fuzz pedal with the plethora of chaotic noise features it described earlier.

Cheers,
Andy

Enhanced Onslaught Damage Echo Echo, surely.

Hagfish Too, that's some heavy sh!t there, man. she is a fish, she was a fish, she looks like a fish, she's a fish in my mind. but is she really a fish?

what happens if you dump in some chord names? can it tell distortion from distrotion?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on June 09, 2019, 10:40:40 AM
what happens if you dump in some chord names?
Well, I tried, but I obviously caught it in a bad mood.    :icon_eek:  (The first two lines were all I gave it.)
Chords
E-G-D-A
And a few words about this song:
We're going to start off with the lyrics, because what the hell are you going to say with that shit now?
Now that you've read that, we just wanna talk about the song. There's so much that is wrong with that shit, and it's the absolute worst.
It's a song about how I'm a loser and everybody's hating on me, while I'm making sure things are OK. What the @#$%? Do your studies and study hard and take all the work that goes into getting you to where you are to make sure you can handle it, so you have to be able to handle any kind of bullshit in life? Like, this song is bullshit. This song is bullshit, and this song is worse than shit from that era. Just the thought that I've written something this good and I'm even saying it, it's a joke and it's a @#$%ing joke! All your shit! I'm only writing about shit that's going to be bad for you. It's like, "Damn it! Look at me! Look at me! Look at this @#$%ing douchebag and this douchebag!" And I don't even look like a douchebag! That's a funny way of saying it.
Yikes!  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

Quote from: EBK on June 09, 2019, 11:00:47 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on June 09, 2019, 10:40:40 AM
what happens if you dump in some chord names?
Well, I tried, but I obviously caught it in a bad mood.    :icon_eek:  (The first two lines were all I gave it.)
Chords
E-G-D-A
And a few words about this song:
We're going to start off with the lyrics, because what the hell are you going to say with that shit now?
Now that you've read that, we just wanna talk about the song. There's so much that is wrong with that shit, and it's the absolute worst.
It's a song about how I'm a loser and everybody's hating on me, while I'm making sure things are OK. What the @#$%? Do your studies and study hard and take all the work that goes into getting you to where you are to make sure you can handle it, so you have to be able to handle any kind of bullshit in life? Like, this song is bullshit. This song is bullshit, and this song is worse than shit from that era. Just the thought that I've written something this good and I'm even saying it, it's a joke and it's a @#$%ing joke! All your shit! I'm only writing about shit that's going to be bad for you. It's like, "Damn it! Look at me! Look at me! Look at this @#$%ing douchebag and this douchebag!" And I don't even look like a douchebag! That's a funny way of saying it.
Yikes!  :icon_lol:

I think you caught it in it's grunge phase. 
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

Fancy Lime

Turns out Transformer is not bad at writing grunge lyrics. I entered the beginning of Mudhoney's Touch Me I'm Sick and this is what I got:

QuoteI've been bad
I've been worse
I'm a creep
Yeah, I'm a jerk
C'mon

Touch me I'm sick!

Oh my, what a dirty liar

Well, I just got up with no money

I got no clothes, I got no shoes

I got none, I'll be better

I'll never say anything again

I'm good with that

We gonna make some money

Come on, let's go down together

I'm good, come on, let's go down together

(Crazy Face)

They've got to make it

No, no, no, no

C-a-i-a

I have no time to waste

I got a lot of things I've got to do

And there's nothing else to do

I got no time or money

(Dirty Face)

They're bad, man, and I'm too bad

I don't wanna go down, I can't go down

We've got to stop 'em, man, we've got to stop 'em

No, no, no, no, hey, hey, oh, oh

We've got to stop 'em

(Crazy Face)

Crazy face

I think the resulting song is called Crazy Face.

Fancy Lime

Should it worry me that Transformer has become my main source of entertainment lately? Is this how the robot apocalypse starts?

I liked the Japanese translation attempt so I tried "It is purple when it has a tail":

QuoteIt is purple when it has a tail and pink when it is flying away.
As the picture shows, it can be described as being of two kinds of color. When it's flying the color of red and yellow and at rest it appears as pink due to its high pressure. So in practice, this creature appears as pink when it's being chased.
The creature that is hiding inside of the wall can be described as pink depending on when it leaves the wall, its body changes and as it starts to move towards the nearby wall it turns red.
This is also what can be seen on the wall of the castle. The creature can be described as pink when it turns completely white.
When it was first shown on the wall, it looked purple with a tail. But later on it gradually changed to blue because of a large explosion from an exploding ship.
The monster that can be seen on the wall of the castle can also referred to as blue and in some movies as white.
In reality, the difference between color and real life is not that big. You can always see differences between colors on real life if you look closer. But there are some things that can be seen in animation.

I have read more absurd art critics' dribbling.

I also tried to generate a user manual for the Enhanced Onslaught Damage Echo, so I typed in "Enhanced Onslaught Damage Echo User manual" and got back this glorious list of effect pedal names:

Boom

Damage Over Time

Blink

Dark Bolt

Death Coil

Destruct

Earthquake Chaos Golem Manual

Firebats

Hellbat

Infernal Marks

Immolation

Leech

Magma Orb

Poison Nova

Raise Spectre Autoattack (lvl 1 or 2)

Ravenous Hydra

- (lvl 1 or 2)

1/12-3/9 (4% or 6% with a +1 charge roll)

- (lvl 1 or 2)

1/32-2/12 (2% or 6% with a +1 charge roll)

+2% Cast Speed

- (lvl 1 or 2)

20% damage reduction

+2 Attack Speed

- (lvl 1 or 2)

19.8% melee damage reduction

+10 to attack skills

+15% cold damage reduction

- (lvl 1 or 2)

1/8-2/16 (1% or 2% with a +1 charge roll)

+2 Cold Damage Reduction

- (lvl 1 or 2)

19.8% melee damage reduction

+10 to attack skills

20% damage reduction

"Dark Bolt": A dark overdrive
"Poison Nova": Some kind of very sickly exploding fuzz, maybe?
"Raise Spectre Autoattack (lvl 1 or 2)": I'm thinking envelope controlled tremolo.

Andy

EBK

Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch, rewritten.  Admittedly, it isn't nearly as funny, but still interesting.

QuoteMr. Praline: I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's, uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. He's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: Do you...do you care about dead parrots?

Mr. Praline: No, not for me, he was my, his...his wife's...he was, he was, uh, our pet. I didn't...I'm sad to see him and I'm...I'm so sorry about his death, he had, uh, a wonderful life. He was my life partner. I would miss him, he had...he was a wonderful creature.

Owner: What's wrong with...what's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: It's a dead parrot...It's dead.

Owner: What should we do?

Mr. Praline: Uh...well...I would say, uh...I'll have to...the vets will have to perform a post death investigation. It could take up to two months to fully vet that parrot.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

QuoteShould it worry me that Transformer has become my main source of entertainment lately? Is this how the robot apocalypse starts

Should it worry me that this thing is making more sense than most politicians?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Josh?

QuoteSo in practice, this creature appears as pink when it's being chased.
The creature that is hiding inside of the wall can be described as pink depending on when it leaves the wall, its body changes and as it starts to move towards the nearby wall it turns red.

If it's red then it must be running away from you real fast.

duck_arse

most politicians would deny that.

someone must feed in some of the posts from the burst box thread, see if we can get some sensible answers on burst buttons and circuit boxes.

patrick398

Quote from: Josh? on June 11, 2019, 01:08:52 AM

If it's red then it must be running away from you real fast.

Is that a red shift joke? If so i approve  :icon_lol:

Josh?

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on June 11, 2019, 10:26:03 AM
someone must feed in some of the posts from the burst box thread, see if we can get some sensible answers on burst buttons and circuit boxes.
Well, let's start with a few basic descriptions of what a Burst Box is.  I really can't decide which of these I like best.  They each have some winning material.  :icon_lol:

Input: The copper coil thing sitting on top of Jack White's guitar amplifier is called a Burst Box. It consists of...

Quote...a pair of coils of the same length and the same polarity. When the coil of a particular class is set on its own, its magnet will not attract that magnetic field from another. It is a good idea to use more than one class of coil, but it is easier to get just one. So, the first time you hear an amp using this type of setup, it might take a little while to understand. Here are the basic mechanics.
When a coil or magnetic circuit comes on, it produces waves of electromagnetic energy known as "magnetic fields."
If you know what magnetic fields exist, you know you are listening to a circuit that is doing it's job properly. If you don't the magnet may begin to resonate causing your guitar to vibrate and vibrate for no apparent reason. It is just that the resonance is produced by a small amount of static on that circuit.
Magnetic waves are produced by a small current passing through a medium like copper wire connecting a source of force to a source of resistance. When the magnet is energized, the magnet waves will begin to travel through each other creating waves in opposite directions.

Quote...a pair of coils connected in series. The output transformer is fed through the one on the Burst Box coil with the output stage of the signal transformer at the other end.
This is something which looks very familiar. For a quick primer on what a Burst Box is, lets look at the typical output transformer used with a guitar amplifier :  There are two types of output transformers:  transformer-drive type, and  transformer-controlled type. For more explanation on how the output transformer is wound up, look up "Why You should never ever replace your output transistor with a transformer controlled one" by  James Allen . The  Transformer-Driven  Transformer  is not used in guitar amplifiers, but for a practical application it is generally the least expensive option. One thing to keep in mind  when using Transformers as output transformers is that they are driven by current, not noise.
To get an idea of how a Burst Box works, consider that you have 4 input channels, each controlling   1 amp. One input channel is  the input of your amplifier, and the two left channel are output channels.

Quote...two of Jack's own custom designed coil heads and a large ferrite core. If you don't know what they are, the name "Ferrite Core" is misleading . A little info on the "Bounce Box" is that the Burst Box consists of a high quality high grade aluminum alloy and a couple of ferrites. I think it's safe to say that the Ferrite core is much stronger and stronger than the aluminum alloy. The Burst Box consists of this super super hard and resilient metal from another world (and it looks like it). I'll get to why I think it's so strong in another post, but first here's how it works: In order to operate a Burst Box, you use magnetically actuated magnets to actuate a copper coil. The coils are then connected together using one pair of springs and a magnet on the other end of the coil. This creates a continuous flow of electricity with a voltage, around the magnets, which is then used to produce the constant currents that allow the coils to operate efficiently. This has long made sense to me since it's a simple matter of "recharging" the batteries, but when we talked about the otherworldly abilities of the Tesla coils, it also seemed like the obvious step to go
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

from a very popular and contentious thread:
Quote from: FooFighters123 on June 03, 2009, 06:18:23 PM
Does anyone how I can build a circuit box with a burst button switch.

NN answer:
QuoteBuild your circuit using the diagram. Start at (0,14), and go up through the middle. If there's a jumper (or fuse) near the LED then you are on the right route, the jumper and/or fuse is not used, otherwise leave it alone. If the jumper is on the right route then there are 2 leads that need to be connected to each other in parallel, and you are on the right route - check whether they are in the right places. Next you will need to connect jumper 1 in (17) to jumper 18 in (21); this will determine the jumper and trigger switch. The jumper switch is the only switch you will need to hook up, but remember to connect everything else,

.... it's that last hanging comma that bothers me. but it seems the answer was "jumpers" all this time!

Joncaster

Haha, this was so funny.
I love that A Room Like No Other for a verb.
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

EBK

Reviving this thread with some new AI-generated song lyrics to help everyone get through isolation.   :icon_razz:

Here are the lyrics to my upbeat and happy new song, Cheer Up with Coronavirus:

How I got feelin' good with a cold, but I ain't no cynic

By golly, I'm glad to be over a cold, I get lucky

I'ma make the rest feel sorry for me

Now let's do this!

I'ma feel good like a computer, and I'm comin' home

Virus should catch, but it don't

I'm going somewhere, because what's different today is I am

Oh, yeah, I can feel it in my body, everything feels just swell

I gotta check, I gotta check if my system is infected
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

I missed this thread, excellent time for a comeback 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Fancy Lime

I wanted to know what will change and what will be the same after the pandemic. So I gave TalkToTransformer the line "The only thing that remained of the beforetimes". The resulting text was a bit too short to be conclusive so I fed the last paragraph to the input again. Lather, rinse, repeat until satisfied with the answer. The result is a semi-coherent fantasy story until it suddenly sprang CHAPTER XVI. at me. The introduction of new characters is a "bit" sudden at times. And I had to censor a word because, forum rules. Bad transformer! The sentence with the censored word is, however, absolutely glorious.

QuoteThe only thing that remained of the beforetimes fortress was a small wooden cottage, where Kirito was staying as a rookie.

However, today was not the usual house that he usually stayed in.

And right in front of the small wooden cottage stood three rows of plaques, attached to the three doors of the house.

It was the 'People of the Underworld' manual.

Kirito took a deep breath. This made him recall the sword drawn inside the tiny cottage.

"I'll be honest, I really don't know much about this society. For that reason, I don't really want to hear any more about it. ...Well, what I know is a little better than it would normally be. I know the young couples, I know the young women. I can't even keep count how many of them I've seen for my job."

Ah, no. The young women that accompany Kenichi to the train station. The girls that will forever be in his heart.

"I just wanted to check, since there hasn't been any reports in the news about those.

"Anyways, isn't this one an avid animal lover?"

Her gaze shifted to the other young lady lying between them. Her round stomach and down-turned shoulders gave her the impression of a peasant girl, but with slightly curled dark hair and a firm cheeky smile. In fact she was one of the Misses. The Countess had married her off to the Count, however, he married another girl.

His adorable daughter. And as long as she was alive she could never find out that she had been fathered by a c*ck without a cover.

Beth readied her hands, but the man had no intention of standing to attention. Still the time elapses, and the Count knew that there was no telling when the other, now-irreproachable girl would turn the hint. With a sort of wistful hesitation she asked him the third time what it was that he wished to know.

"My dear," he replied, "since you are so willing to answer my questions, I will tell you what is the main reason why I came here in the first place. I wanted to give you a thousand crowns, and the reward comes directly and I shall have it in a moment, but I took the liberty of coming here in order to do it. I'll even explain to you where the thrones are hidden in your temple, my dear."

"I can't pay you any more than one hundred and twenty crowns, under the present circumstances," said Lucien. "I must beg you to spare your life. I mean to do so. I want to see you again."

"So do I," said the poor creature. "But I can see no point in saving you and tell you why."

"Only three things," said the other, and cast off the heavy cloak; "the water, the worms, and my sword."

"With your sword," said the poor creature, "can I save myself?"

The other glared at her. "All I have," he said, "is this sword, and mine gun and my spade, and no more."

"Then I take this oath," said the poor creature, "that I shall save myself, and can you turn me?"

"Why not?" said the other.

"Because I have a conscience," said Doran while absently tapping his bare feet.

"Because you said to Sam, when he was questioning you about his most dangerous moment, you knew you could not lie."

"Because you were so darn innocent then," said the smuggler, the faintest hint of a smile tugging at his mouth. "How are you now? Did you have a new situation with anyone recently? Did they go after you?"

"Not yet," said Doran, his shoulders dropping as he considered the question.

"No," said Sam.

"Ah, well," said Doran, "there's one more thing. I don't even know if I'd be allowed to survive it."

"What is it?" said Argevollen.

"Curses, curses, and more curses," said Doran, thinking hard. "Does there exist a spell to make me a goblin again? Because you remember the Mandrake patch. I bet there is."

"I'll get in touch with your closest friends," said Lirin. "And we'll figure it out."

Doran nodded. "I'm going to use the portal in the Wall," he said. "And you, Argevollen, you stay here. It'll make the nightmare worth it."

His daughter was staring at him, wide-eyed, hands pressed into her face. "We have to go back."

"There's no point in leaving now. We can't afford to risk going out, either."

"We have to."

"Let's see what a bunch of rabbits can do with their swords."

Argevollen had nothing but a moment to clear her head, and then Doran was out of sight and back on the plain. The Bannermans were the first to hear the screams and rush to the aid of Doran. Arya was hardly able to comprehend what was going on in her brother's mind at the same time that she saw an arrow rush towards her. They had a brief fight, with the shock of the arrow rather helping their fragile fighting skills. They killed the stormking, but it seemed that Prince Doran had not recovered. Arya did not care, for she saw what was happening—the Silver Death did not see; when he was shot at, the armor hardened around his body, forming a shield. With a roar of anguish, the tigers roared at Fanny again. He cried: 'You aren't going to take me anywhere, you monster! Oh, oh, I've got to be a man! And if I'm not—I'm dead!' And then, as he was going to the bridge—

'You have come to a place of death, sir!' cried the tiger. 'You must decide now—your two lives are on the boil.'

'No! No!' cried Mr. Shears, 'I'm just going to manage. I don't want to die!'

'Then what would you have me do?' said the tiger.

And then, in a final agony, Fanny was about to tell him the answer when the air went out of him. He stopped breathing. At that moment, she cried, "What do I tell Louis? 'All right,' is all he will ever be able to say."

"I'll get them," said Reginald.

They all looked at each other, and then Henry leapt up, and did not rest for a minute, till he took off his own shoes and stood on his two knees and opened the dress-panty bag. It held, of course, Fanny's little purse of money, her clothes, her ring, her jewelry. He found a wad of twenty-three pound notes; put them all into his pocket and kissed her again.

"Come along, old man," said Alice, "you are soon due for London."

CHAPTER XVI.

WAR IN BEVERLY HILLS—A VISIT TO CLARE'S—A PARLIAMENTARY FUNCTION—CARTMAN, ARTHUR, AND OTHER FAMILIES—ARTHUR AT MARTIN LUTHER'S—THE FURTHER BEGINNING OF ARTHUR'S LEGACY.—THE EVACUATION OF THE KENNEBEC COUNTY RESIDENCE.

The evening of April 30, 1776, was a very fine evening. With Henry Douglas, Charles Sumner, John Han%^&*, and Stephen Hopkins, under General Washington's orders, I sailed on the Edward Rutledge, bound for Richmond, Virginia, where we had instructions to proceed on board of the U.S. frigate Fennica, to assist in his movements and to reduce the opposition of the colonists. My own departure had been eagerly expected by the people and nations of America, and the place of departure was the eastern bank of the Kennebec. At Noon on the 30th of April 1776, on the same river where I stood for the first time in the patriot cause, I drew into an open boat with its pilot John Joseph, and here I saw the face of the people for the first time. Our mission to these people was a political, and not a religious one; our only concern was to treat them as neighbors and brothers. We laid our papers at their feet, and, after a day or two of consultation, we returned to Great Bridge, on a raft made of planks driven through the planks of the boats, and having a small crew of us who acted as pilot and rower. The coast was very rough, and we had no wood on board, so we were forced to put to sea in small boats, some of which we lashed in the water, and most of which were put to sea without a light being put on. We were not aware of any mutiny, but there was an expression on the countenances of the sailors that they were tired of waiting for us, and would have been willing to go on board of us, if we had given them some board to go on board of. We sailed along as near to the coast as we could, and then at night a fresh breeze sprung up, and we went out to sea, and my ship being next to us it blew her bottom, or one of her bows in the worst manner. For this reason we soon was obliged to give up all hope of getting in before night, the tide carrying us by, and bringing us up again to the same place where we were before. This makes us doubtfully whether there is any dwelling in that country. The next day our Captain took our boats again and went upon our river, with the intention of bringing us to him in safety; but as we did not go far enough, his men on shore. They being not of a disposition to venture on the offensive in Europe.

Bousset.—Having regard to the principles on which his Lordship is sitting, and to those of the pacific Revolution, he finds no necessity of uniting with those whom he might otherwise attack; and not to select them he would at the same time expose to the risk of wounding them.

Their skill and ferocity it is necessary to exclude; and if they should agree with the design which would be formed of their joining the Ambassador, the Government would be indebted to them for the very point in which they are now opposed to it.

Young,—As I am willing to yield to the opinion expressed by all the States in this House, and agree to the plan

I wonder what would happen if someone fed the entirety of this forum into a neural network as training material and then told it to design a stompbox or ask it the typical recurring n00b questions. Half curious, half afraid of the answer...

Andy