Easyvibe lfo ticking

Started by thomasolsen84, June 09, 2019, 07:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasolsen84

This layput one of you linked to earlier in the post might be a better option? I find it easier to look at a layout to see understand sone parts of a circuit other than Looking at schematics. I dont know if this layout share signal and lfo in the same ic? I might start over again using this layout to see if its a better design for this pedal.

thomasolsen84

What if i would want to make this without all the switch es. Just the vibe/chorus switch. What parts can i omit on the layout. I would like to reuse my drilled enclosure if possible.

patrick398

Quote from: thomasolsen84 on June 10, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
What if i would want to make this without all the switch es. Just the vibe/chorus switch. What parts can i omit on the layout. I would like to reuse my drilled enclosure if possible.

Not sure if this will make any difference but on your original build C8 is the wrong way round, it should be negative side on row S.

Looking at the comments on the SabroTone website a few people have built it with no ticking so it can be done. Are you using low current leds?
Anyway, if you do want to start again with the other layout it can be done without the extra switches but it's a bit tricky to see without a schematic (which i can't find anywhere) Assuming you just want to omit the  'ramp' and the 'normal/square' switches it's just a case of connecting the right points with jumpers.
I'm pretty bad with switching arrangements but *i think* you can leave the DPDT ramp switch completely unconnected, you don't need to wire anything labelled 'switch 1' since the switch is in the off position for normal mode.
To omit the 'square/normal' switch you can jumper 'switch 2 - 2' with either 'switch 2 - 1' or 'switch 2 -3' depending on whether you want chorus or vibrato mode. I can't tell which is which from looking at the layout so you might just have to try them and see which is which.

Somebody might be along to correct me shortly, i've just woken up and staring at that layout with no coffee is making my head hurt haha

thomasolsen84

I noticed to reversed cap. Turned it round maybe a bit less clicking. But not completely click free. A swapped a couple of differenent ics as well, some better than others. I ued ultra bright clear leds 20ma. Dont know if that low current enough? Maybe i have to order some low current ones.
It clicks only in on mode not when bypassed, Its not easy to tell when you play and got the volume on the guitar. But when you turn the volume off the guitar than its noticable.
Im gonna experiment with that other layout and see if its better than the one i used. Maybe of i try to use the seperated power mod you show me on this layout it might be click free? :)

patrick398

I've never used low current LEDs myself but by the looks of it they can draw as little as 2ma of current. Not entirely sure this would fix your ticking but i'd assuming the less current hungry components the better.

PRR

The LED does not set the current. YOU set the current by picking the series resistor.

The real use of "low current LED" is so you can use a very large resistor (10K or more) and still have enough light.
  • SUPPORTER

jsrfo

So, I have an actual Analog Fox Easy Vibe, bought basically to find out what makes it work.

The odd thing I have noticed, and I am hoping someone can help with is that the ticking I've read about is present in my Easy Vibe, but there's a funny twist.

I was discussing this with a friend that is my amp tech, and went on to demonstrate the ticking. I put the Easy Vibe in my amplifier's effect loop, fired it all up. I generally put modulation effects in the effect loop. Well, no ticking. None at all.

This puzzled me and as we were talking, I started to assume it was the power outlet or something in my house where my gear is. I broke this all down, but before I left, I said I wanted to try one more time. So, I set it back up, and there was the tick....

Now it took a minute, but I realized the difference this time was that I put the Easy Vibe in front of the amp, not in the effect loop. So, Guitar>Easy Vibe>Amp and it ticks. It's only present when the pedal is in front of the amp.

So this became evident only because the amp I took to the amp tech had the effect loop. It's generally set up with my pedal board, and I don't mess with it too much.

My initial use of the Easy Vibe was on some older, mid 1960's amps that don't have effects loops, so they didn't have the effect loop capability.

Anyway, to summarize, using this Easy Vibe in the effect loops has no ticks, but in front of the amp it ticks. Does anyone have any idea why that would occur? Again, this is the Russian Easy Vibe, not a vero.

JerS

I quickly read through the posts and didn't see a mention about making sure the chip is a TL064 and not a TL074. The 064 chip draws less current and often reduces or eliminates any ticking. I have build a lot of these using this layout - and if I ever got ticking I strapped a largish cap (100uf or higher...whatever I had) across the power terminals on the LFO chip. That has always solved it for me.

If nothing else, it is easy to try. YMMV.