germanium transistor cache

Started by mozz, June 14, 2019, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozz

Well, germanium transistor stash has arrived. 500 of the 2SB54 and 750+ of the 2SB56. I like them both. Definitely not cherry picked. According to my Sam's transistor manual, these should have gains of 140 and 80 respectively. Have not decided what I'm going to do yet, sell pedals or sell parts. Is there a actual market for me to sell 500 fuzz pedals?

Testing. Looking around I have 6 transistor testers. Dca55 peak, RG tester,  Mk328 eBay tester, B&K semiconductor analyzer and 2 radio shack bench dmm's. Dca55 gives me higher readings than RG or mk328, for gain anyway. I'm getting 140-170 gain on peak and similar leakage. Some 2sb54 are close to 200. Have to spend more time with the RG and see the results.

Sort of used a pcb for a test dummy and I can get these to bias with a stock 8.2k and a q1 trimmer, anywhere from 18k up to 40k, once q1c hits .670v area, q2c is 4.5v. Anything wrong with using q1 trimmer instead of the common q2 trimmer setup? I think I'm fine actually.

Sound does get kind of heavy wide open with paf humbuckers, but cleans up to a good variety of sounds 0-9.
Tried 50k feedback instead of 100k and maybe a tiny bit cleaner. Will try strat and tele over the weekend. Also wanted to try emitter resistor or pot on q1.

Still up in the air to try and sell pedals, maybe a elka dizzy tone or something other than a fuzzface. Guy has a few hundred 2sb175 negotiating price and shipping now.

Would you guys buy 10 packs of 2sb 54, 56 if the price was right?

• SUPPORTER

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

amptramp

What's the URL of your Black Market dark web site?  You could be sitting on some cash there.

mozz

There's no website. On a electronics related forum, i posted i wanted about 200 transistors for a project. Long story. I know some will hate me for this but I got a Farfisa organ in pretty bad shape, i would have to buy another just to get enough parts for it to run again. So i decided to strip it and part it out. 120 SFT352's. I wanted those but decided (to keep all 12 tone boards intact) to replace them with pnp silicon, hence i posted a wanted ad. Guy had some different trannys, he emailed me with a list of TO-92 and TO-1. I emailed on the 2sb175's but haven't heard back yet.

Did a old school, parts wise, fuzzface last night with one 2sb56 for q1 and 2sb54 for q2, bias set to 4.5v with trimmer on Q2place of 33k. Sounds great, have full use of fuzz pot

• SUPPORTER

digi2t

Please PM me with pricing. I would be interested in some 175's as well. Say 50 of each, if the prices are right.

On a different note, I believe that this thread should be on the sale/trade forum.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

mozz

Well that's a reason i haven't mentioned any pricing. I don't know how the commercial part of this website works yet. What is considered just small parts or full blown pedal store.

Anyway, i was going to limit it to a lot lower than 50 pieces/per. Just putting some random ones (2sb56) into a tonebender mk2, my Peak dca55 is telling me gains over 150, leak 150ua. Seems too much gain. I need to make my RG tester a little more permanent, it's all soldered together and just hanging off the meter. It reads about 20 less than the peak.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: mozz on June 14, 2019, 11:06:35 AM

yes
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

tonight, we ride

Quote from: mozz on June 14, 2019, 11:06:35 AM

YES PLEASE.

Keep us updated!

mac

QuoteWould you guys buy 10 packs of 2sb 54, 56 if the price was right?

Yes.

And 2sb172/75/76 Matsushita too.

2sb77 Hitachi, another excelent jap germs.

In a few years they'll be more valuable than Bitcoins :-)

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

mozz

More followed me home, what am i to do.

2n274

Some mica caps to add to the assortment, tropical fish caps, i never find these.

Oh, yeah, this one bag had a few more than the smaller envelopes. 904 after i counted them. I had no idea what they were, 1964 date code told me they were most likely germanium. I just bought them and went to the car very quick. I felt like a kid in a candy store who put a penny in the machine and it emptied out 1000 gumballs.
Raytheon T59248

Lovepedals BBB? or evikiel whatever that name is? High gain, 200,300, 400, leakages are high but my garage is about 85f temp for the past week.

I'm really tempted to put these and the other 1500 into my seal-a-meal with some silica gel packets.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

I'd like to know what you're asking for 10 packs, Mozz....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Ripthorn

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

BetterOffShred