Tremulus Lune Gain Stage question --- mainly C3

Started by brokenstarguitar, June 14, 2019, 09:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

My question is about C3, the 330pf cap between lug 1 and 2 of the gain pot. In actuality, what does this do? What the reason for this? I noticed it isnt in any version where the "Gain" pot is interior. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks as usual guys!

I attached the schematic im going off of.

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Elijah-Baley

Exactly now rankot said. ;)
Higher value cut off more treble.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

GibsonGM

Or, we could look at it 'functionally' and say that it is bypassing the opamp...passing high frequencies from input right to the output.  Lower frequencies will be boosted, but the highs will not.  They are still there at the same level as they were at the opamp input, but just did not get the boost...it is a small difference in semantics, but one day it may be important to know...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

brokenstarguitar

I also thought it was a treble bleed but wanted some reassurance. Thanks a bunch guys!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 15, 2019, 06:48:20 AM
Or, we could look at it 'functionally' and say that it is bypassing the opamp...passing high frequencies from input right to the output.  Lower frequencies will be boosted, but the highs will not.  They are still there at the same level as they were at the opamp input, but just did not get the boost...it is a small difference in semantics, but one day it may be important to know...

Another way to express the same thing would be to say that it "limits the gain bandwidth". After all, we don't want to be amplifying ultrasonics, and the op-amp might be able to do that unless we specifically tell it not to.