ic substitution question

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 16, 2019, 02:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi guys
i'm working on an early-ish dunlop univibe, version B... can't seem to find a schematic for it, of course.
its different from the ones i've seen for this model, so i'm hoping this should be an easy-ish fix.
when i got it the regulator and first filter cap were hosed. so i replaced them and got it to fire up with reasonable voltages, but when i tried it thru an amp, it just cycles up and down. i believe it is the 14584 hex inverting schmit trigger. i inadvertantly reversed the plugs to the switch board. ooops. i think the rest survived ... tho someone had freeking @#$%ED THIS THING UP trying to mod it.. diodes were missing, and in one case replaced with a single 3904. the bulb is missing. yikes.

got some 'pairin' to do i thiMk.

anywho, is a hex invering schmit trigger a hex inverting schmit trigger?
i looked up the pinouts, and they seem the same,
and the voltages look equivalent to my idiot brain

i DO have ONE nte 40106b inverting hex schmit trigger here. the pinout is the same.

i know this is a dumb question, but do you think it would do, at least to get this thing powered up and debugged?

appreciate your thoughts!

peace!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Slowpoke101

The 40106 would be fine to use. In fact the 14584 datasheet actually mentions that it can replace a 40106 or 4069 or even a 74C14.
Go for it and see what happens.

Cheers.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

sweet!! i have 4069's too... i'll try it ian! rock on, bud! thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

njkmonty

Hey Jimi you are back, for a moment i thought there was something wrong!

duck_arse

if your circuit relies on the schmitieness of the 40106 to function, the 4069 may well result in disappointment. it is not a schmit.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

pinkjimiphoton

hahaha point noted DA!
the good thing is i can get the nte equiv at the local jobber instead of having to order it.
i DO have one chip from years ago, may be hosed, but if it is, in less than an hour tomorrow i can be back in business.
thanks for the replies guys!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr