How long does bare copper pcbs usually last?

Started by marlo830, June 17, 2019, 05:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marlo830

I've etched about 5 boards and didn't bother tinning them with Flux + Solder. It just crossed my mind and started wondering how long do bare Cu pcbs generally last.

deadastronaut

give them a shot of spray clear coat.....you can solder through it still.... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bool

Quote from: marlo830 on June 17, 2019, 05:55:09 AM
and started wondering how long do bare Cu pcbs generally last
They last just as long as the metal shines.

marlo830

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 17, 2019, 07:39:41 AM
How bout clear nail polish? I read somewhere it can be used to coat the traces.

Mark Hammer

How long depends on the environment.  Some climates expedite oxidation more than others.  You can provide some reasonable protection from the environment by storing them in an envelope.  If you have lots of envelopes, consider labelling each with the specific board enclosed, and sealing it.

I generally buff my boards and apply liquid flux with a cotton swab right away.  I may or may not tin them with normal solder at that point.  The flux provides a barrier against oxidation, and from what I can tell, the metals in solder don't oxidize nearly as quickly as bare shiny copper.  They WILL eventually, just more slowly.

deadastronaut

Quote from: marlo830 on June 17, 2019, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on June 17, 2019, 07:39:41 AM
How bout clear nail polish? I read somewhere it can be used to coat the traces.

hmmmm never tried it, might be too thick and gloopy to apply.......the spray clear goes on even...
it only needs a quick spurt....

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Rob Strand

QuoteI've etched about 5 boards and didn't bother tinning them with Flux + Solder. It just crossed my mind and started wondering how long do bare Cu pcbs generally last.
If you leave them to oxidize they can be cleaned up later.  For home use it works fine.  Just don't keep cleaning them.   The only thing you have to watch out for is the oxide around the holes - the important area!  Often they don't clean-up as well as the larger areas of copper.

Much preferred is:
Quotethe spray clear goes on even... it only needs a quick spurt....
I used that method for 30 years for home one-offs.   I have boards which must be getting onto 30 years old and they are still clean.   I did experiment with different coating thicknesses at one point.  Too thin and it can be patchy, sometimes having holes on a small scale and later showing minor oxidation.   Too thick and you get goop around the pads when soldering.   I guess the instructions would say a light coating.

Many moons ago there was a PCB manufacturer around here that did simple one-sided boards.   They did small runs and kept a small number of boards from magazines projects in stock.  They use the light clear lacquer on the bottom of their boards.

For professional products you not only have finished boards but they should be stored vacuum sealed (and they should not be touched by people's fingers at all).
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Rob Strand on June 17, 2019, 06:25:07 PM
I used that method for 30 years for home one-offs.   I have boards which must be getting onto 30 years old and they are still clean. 
Now, do you remember what those 30 year-old boards are FOR?  I have some of similar vintage.  I know that they are for something from either Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, or Electronics Today, and I know it's probably something audio-related, but that's pretty much as far as I can narrow it down.   :icon_lol:

Rob Strand

QuoteNow, do you remember what those 30 year-old boards are FOR?
One was a prototype capacitance meter.  Another was an AC phase controller (essentially a light dimmer).
There's other stuff kicking around which are loaded boards but I sprayed the board the same way *before* assembling them.  So from the point of view of oxidation they are in the same boat - except for solderability.

Now I think of it another thing I tried was drilling before etching.   Not sure why  :o, maybe used the track design as a drill template - this was the bad old days before laser printers.  I remember the etchant oxidized around the hole and it was very hard to clean-up.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

bluebunny

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 17, 2019, 08:23:36 PM
Now, do you remember what those 30 year-old boards are FOR?  I have some of similar vintage.  I know that they are for something from either Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, or Electronics Today, and I know it's probably something audio-related, but that's pretty much as far as I can narrow it down.   :icon_lol:

Sounds like an intriguing detective thread, waiting to happen.   8)   Post some pictures!  Ya never know...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Mark Hammer

Happily, both Francisco Pena and madbean have the name of the circuit on all their PnP layouts.  So, if I make it into my 90s, am still soldering, and still have the boards, I'll know what they are.  ;D

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Rob Strand on June 17, 2019, 06:25:07 PM
QuoteI've etched about 5 boards and didn't bother tinning them with Flux + Solder. It just crossed my mind and started wondering how long do bare Cu pcbs generally last.
If you leave them to oxidize they can be cleaned up later.  For home use it works fine.  Just don't keep cleaning them.   The only thing you have to watch out for is the oxide around the holes - the important area!  Often they don't clean-up as well as the larger areas of copper.

+1 agree. You can make oxidised PCBs workable by attacking them with fine wire wool. The stuff with soap in it as well is fine since the soap removes any greaser while you're at it. Once you're done, rinse them well with cold water and dry them off and you're good. Rob's comment about the holes being the hardest bit to get cleaned up is valid.

Rob Strand

Quoteholes being the hardest bit to get cleaned up is valid.
A good strategy would be to shelve them undrilled.

marlo830

Thanks for all of your insights! Decided to tin an unpopulated MiniBomb from EffectsLayout blog, made drilling much more easier and soldering components (duh) as well. Might try the clearcoat method if I find time or might as well just create new pcbs cause I find it fun to do.

davent

Quote from: marlo830 on June 19, 2019, 01:12:45 AM
Thanks for all of your insights! Decided to tin an unpopulated MiniBomb from EffectsLayout blog, made drilling much more easier and soldering components (duh) as well. Might try the clearcoat method if I find time or might as well just create new pcbs cause I find it fun to do.

If your only issue with those earlier pcb's is oxidation and you haven't partially populated them, it's a simple matter to clean them up with wet 600 grit sandpaper backed with a hard block. Then can give them a quick light mist of clearcoat so they don't re-oxidize, clearcoat works great.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg