4-way Split and Blend Pedal Question

Started by cnspedalbuilder, June 18, 2019, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnspedalbuilder

Hello, a good friend wants me to build him a pedal to make crazy noises with. He wants to have up to 4 separate effect loops to blend into a single output. This is what I have in mind:

-Input essentially would go into two ROG split n' blend circuits (see below). In other words, a single input would be split to up to four send and return lines (I guess I'd use a TL074 or two 072s for input and output opamps). Instead of a single blend pot, there could be a level pot for each line--so replace the blend pot with 4 level pots that would each go after the 10UF capacitor (i.e., one lug goes to ground, other end goes to output jack).

-If lines 2-4 have phase switches like the one for U2A in the schematic, would that help the user to deal with any weird phase reversal issues before combining the signals?

-My friend doesn't need this, but I thought I'd maybe add a momentary feedback switch, kinda like the Beavis feedback looper, to line 1.

-He also wants the send and return to go out to a a single TRS cable. So I'm thinking this should be fine with a stereo jack, with, say, tip as send and ring as return, right?

Does that sound reasonable? It seems too simple. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

p.s. Sorry if anyone has seen this already. I also posted this query on a FB group, but I only got a couple of responses, and I wanted to also check here to make sure I've not missed anything.

cnspedalbuilder

In case it helps, I can post an image to give an overview of the concept. This would be my first "commissioned" build, so I'd really appreciate your expert opinions! Once I get your feedback, I can put together a schematic. Thank you.

cnspedalbuilder

Hello, I'm sorry if my original post was long, but any advice you have would really help. You can disregard above if it helps. I found a schematic for a simpler version of the split and blend circuit.

Based on the OP's success with that design, it seems sensible to me to have a single buffer for the input stage and separate ones with phase switch at output.

As a prototype, I was thinking of following the ROG schematic but with a single input buffer that splits output to three send lines. Return lines go to separate level pots (set up as rheostats) followed by output buffers for each of the return lines. Two of the return lines would be set up with phase switches as in the ROG circuit. No blend pot at output.

Any reason why this would not work?