Tonepad Phase 90 build not phasing

Started by Bosco Birdswood, June 26, 2019, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco Birdswood

Hi brains trust, just finished replacing the fried board in my script reissue MXR Phase 90 with a new one from Tonepad. I couldn't use many of the original parts as they were mostly surface mount on the fried one. I did use the rate pot, the 4x 2n5952, and the 15uF tantalum though. I get signal when the pedal is on but no phasing. If I adjust the bias pot back and forth i get a small phasing effect suggesting the wet signal is kinda working, but the rate knob does nothing and there is no phasing. Gate voltages are all 2.5v give or take, and then 5v at the drain, 4.8v at the source (could be the other way around) across all 4x 2n5952. No continuity across the 15uF tantalum which I'm told are prone to shorting, and it measures 16.2uF according to my DMM. The other 10uF tantalum measures 12uF. Both around the right way! Other than that I'm a massive idiot with electronics. What would be your next steps? Thanks in advance :)

BB

Mark Hammer

Verify that your JFETs are oriented correctly.  I followed an older Tonepad layout once, and got a result like yours.  Then I learned that my 5952s were rotated the wrong way.

Bosco Birdswood

5952s were good - I just made a schoolboy error and put a 100k in place of the 1M resistor... now working perfectly! I ended up replacing the 22k feedback loop resistor with a 150k one which sits tonally somewhere between script and standard to my ears.