Author Topic: water slide decal first attempt  (Read 1031 times)

ChriTracker

water slide decal first attempt
« on: July 08, 2019, 03:27:42 AM »
Ive been building a booster for a starter like me. Its a fetzer valve. Been to a noob electronic and painting enclosure.
Then finally here comes labeling

Im using a laser waterslide decal. I use the right waterslide paper for laser printer
use a warm water to soak in the decal.

It looks like the plastic printed part of the paper wont easily separate with the backing. Even if tried rubbing it off a bit both under water and not. Until I see a plastic starting to wrinkle and it just wont still easily separates I ended up warping the printed image

Done this for more than 4 printed image and all were wasted.

Been looking for a forum for something like this but results were more of a successful transfer

I need to lift the image rather than sliding it but the result as shown in photo

EBK

Re: water slide decal first attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:11:38 AM »
Let it soak longer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:13:09 AM by EBK »
No affiliations. If I glowingly mention specific merchants or products, it is because I like them without having to be paid to like them.

bluebunny

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
Let it soak longer.

Yeah, this.  I always find that it takes longer than the manufacturer's instructions.  And don't make your water too warm (otherwise I think it softens the plastic).  Barely tepid is enough.
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

ChriTracker

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
I tried to soak it longer but as the resust is another failure

Do I need to apply a clear coat. But I know its only intended for inkjets

EBK

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:06:13 PM »
What specific kind of decals are you using?

Those are strange results indeed.

Looks more like a toner transfer sheet than a decal.
No affiliations. If I glowingly mention specific merchants or products, it is because I like them without having to be paid to like them.

davent

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:58:14 PM »
Might have to mess with the 'paper' type & weight setting of your printer to get it to fuse properly with the decal paper. A couple mist coats of clearcoat may help bind the print to the paper before you soak it. It's all about trial and error, you'll get there.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

davent

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
At one point i went from easy success to always fail  when i replaced my empty 'HP branded' toner cartridge with a generic toner cartridge, would not work. If i recall Brother printers were an issue for people maybe doing toner transfers for etches.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

EBK

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
I wouldn't try to fix that with clearcoat.  The toner looks like it isn't sticking to that decal. That, plus the decal not separating in water, leads me to think we might not be dealing with a decal at all....

Look at that T from BOOST and the er from Fetzer.  The toner is fusing, but separating more like an iron-on T-shirt transfer or something.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:51:03 PM by EBK »

ElectricDruid

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
I would *totally* try to fix that with clearcoat. I've got some transfer paper that gives very similar results with the laser toner I use - it breaks up and lifts off the backing. Spraying a couple of light coats of clearcoat over it holds the toner onto the paper and (mostly!) allows me to get the decal onto the enclosure neatly.

I don't know, but I think laser toners might vary quite a lot. Certainly I don't get the same results others have done with some of the stuff I've tried, even following detailed instructions as closely as possible.

The only other thing to say is "are you printing on the right side of the decal paper?"...I've been bitten by that one a few times...it's not coming off?, maybe soak longer?...oh!..DOH!  :-[

davent

ElectricDruid

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:43:46 AM »
I shall have to try that. I've got a couple of pedals that need the art finishing off...

Thanks.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »
Hi!

Did you sprayed some clear coats before putting the decal sheet in water?