Requesting an account to get SpinCAD Designer

Started by Digital Larry, July 10, 2019, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

I'm not really into using this forum for self promotion, but considering how many people seem to have a challenge signing up for an account properly, I'm just going to point out:

a) I use a spam blocker to limit logins, and starting last year it got a lot less effective.  I get a ton of signups and unless I can correlate the user name easily to some existing online identity that seems at least marginally music related, I will ignore it.

b) There is a special forum area right on the front page that says:

Trouble registering or logging in?
EVERYONE: Post a message here to let me know you're trying to register. I may delete new users if I haven't heard from you first somehow. Do your username and e-mail look like random gibberish? Are you from yandex.ru? Your application, if it is legitimate, may be delayed unless you post a message to reassure me. Too many spam bots! If it's been more than a year since you signed up and you've never logged on, again I may delete your account.

I really mean it!

c) The link to the Holy City Audio forum (where you can download SpinCAD Designer and ask questions if you need to) is:

http://holycityaudio.com/forum/

d) Using the "mail" function at the Holy City Audio forum to contact me doesn't work as it's configured to a no-longer-existing e-mail address.  Private Messages should work OK.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

brazdj

Hi DigitalLarry,

The password reset never works for me. Can you send me a reset? My account is under the same username as this site.

Thanks,
Daniel

Denso_gogogo

Hi Larry, please activate my account I created on wednesday.
Account name is Denson. Thanx in advance

ElectricDruid

If you're having so much trouble with it, maybe you need a better system? It's not like signing up for a new login is a new thing that no-one has managed to do before, so there must be some solutions out there, beyond having to vet everyone individually via email. That sounds like a nightmare you don't need to put yourself through.

T.

Digital Larry

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 20, 2019, 07:03:35 PM
If you're having so much trouble with it, maybe you need a better system? It's not like signing up for a new login is a new thing that no-one has managed to do before, so there must be some solutions out there, beyond having to vet everyone individually via email. That sounds like a nightmare you don't need to put yourself through.

T.
When I first had this problem I got a phpBB plugin called "CleanTalk" that was very effective.  And then for reasons unknown I started getting more and more login requests of the gibberish username variety.  About 1 in 20 people actually follow through to read the directions and send a message to get a login.

I''ll admit that my blog and the HCA forum were a "vanity" experiment and a few years ago I  thought I was going to actually sell some FV-1 based things online, but that's proven to be a bit challenging when I also put in about 12 hours a day at my real job which puts the food on the table.  There's very little discussion about SpinCAD going on at my forum and I am not actively working on it any more.

My inclination is to throw in the towel on running a blog and the HCA forum and just publish a recently compiled binary at Github, maybe a few sample patches, etc.  It was pretty fun to interact with people who brought in great ideas and really moved the tool forward.  I also really appreciate those who donated to the cause but it still fell short of paying for itself by a couple hundred bucks a year.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer