Refractor Build Problem

Started by vaughnfats, December 05, 2019, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaughnfats

I've just finished a Refractor build (not my first) and have an issue for the first time.

No power with a fresh battery (well almost fresh at 8.86 volts)
Powers up with a power supply
No signal pass
When I increase the treble control I get a wonderful rising theremin like oscillator.

My first check will be verifying the harness from the switch board to the I/O board. Maybe I reversed the pins?

This is the first build of any kind that I've had to troubleshoot and though I'd check in to see if anyone has any sage advice before I get the meter out.

TIA

Fats

EBK

With this specific project, my first question for anyone having problems is:
Are you absolutely sure that the tantalum cap on the board is oriented the right way?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vaughnfats

That is on my list of potential problems. I checked all the electrolytics visually against the print but haven't put the probes on the tantalum. Do you think that could cause the behavior I've indicated?

EBK

Quote from: vaughnfats on December 05, 2019, 04:14:12 PM
... but haven't put the probes on the tantalum.
Check it visually, just like with the electrolytic caps.  There should be a small plus sign marking the positive lead.

As far as whether it explains any of your problems, I don't know.  I've seen the issue cause strange things to happen before, so it is worth a check, especially since it should take only a few seconds to inspect.

Almost forgot the most important thing:
Welcome to the forum!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

If you get no power from your battery, but power from a wart is OK, then I'd look at your wiring.  Can you do us some photos?

And welcome, of course!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...