Do you recognize this PCB?

Started by Mark Hammer, July 13, 2019, 05:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Marc (with a 'c'),
If you find a post where Mark (with a 'k') said that he can't wait to build one of these, you win a lifetime supply of sausages.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

QuoteI think duck's "pin 2 modulated" and the style (Rick's) gave it away.  It's a "Bigger Angel".
Cool, someone here had to know!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: EBK on July 14, 2019, 04:09:54 PM
Mr. Hammer is obligated to etch and build this now, right?  :icon_wink:
Right now, I'm just waiting for the board to cool down, so I can peel off the PnP and stick it in the etchant.

This is amazing.  What I can't understand is how I somehow decided to print it out in the first place without saving the actual file.  As Pink Jimi P can attest, I save a LOT of layouts and schematics.  Looking through all the main and subdirectories for various chorus circuits on my hard drive, I found neither the layout nor the circuit drawing.  Weird.

Thanks to all who donated their time and energy to this particular scavenger hunt.  It's not like I really need another chorus, but I had been curious to make a 2399-based unit just to hear what it was like, and this will let me do just that.  So thanks again.  I owe you all one.

Rob Strand

Quotehis is amazing.  What I can't understand is how I somehow decided to print it out in the first place without saving the actual file.  As Pink Jimi P can attest, I save a LOT of layouts and schematics.  Looking through all the main and subdirectories for various chorus circuits on my hard drive, I found neither the layout nor the circuit drawing.  Weird.
One trick I use to find related stuff is searching by dates.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

A useful tip, though not useful in this instance.  All I had was the PnP transfer.  I also have a nasty habit of doing whatever I can to shrink file size, such that if an image is copped or reduced from grey or colour to black and white, the timestamp is rewritten.

In any event, the board is now etched and tinned.  And thankfully, I have the information and parts I need to make good use of it.

duck_arse

as antonis might say - :beers: :beers:

and Mark - my first thought was Hyperflange.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: duck_arse on July 15, 2019, 09:41:47 AM
as antonis might say - :beers: :beers:

and Mark - my first thought was Hyperflange.
Mine too.  :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes:  But today needs to entail getting my car license plate renewed.

BTW, the parts layout diagram shows an awful lot more parts than are listed below it.  Is there any parts listing that is more complete than what is shown here?

bluebunny

Good spot!  I wonder what happened to the rest?  Anyway, I couldn't find anything else in Fred's blog or my stash, so I cross-referenced the schematic to the layout and came up with this:

R1  10K
R2  10K
R3  10K
R4  10K
R5  10K
R6  33K
R7  4K7
R8  220K
R9  220K
R10 100K       
R11 100K
R12 4K7
R13 47R
R14 68K
R15 330K
R16 330K
R17 330K
R18 4K7
R19 10K
R20 10K
R21 10K
R22 10K
R23 10K

R24 100K
R25 100K
R26 4K7
R27 47K
R28 100K
R29 47K
R30 47K
R31 47R
R32 47R
R33 100K
R34 100K
RPD 1M 1

Depth 470K Lin
Speed 100K Lin       

C1  10nF
C2  10nF
C3  1nF
C4  1nF
C5  100nF
C6  100nF 2
C7  47uF
C8  100uF
C9  10uF
C10 10uF
C11 10nF
C12 100nF
C13 100nF
C14 10uF
C15 100nF
C16 47uF
C17 100nF
C18 100nF
C19 100nF
C20 10uF
C21 100nF
C22 10uF
C23 100nF       

Q1  2N3904

D1  1N4148

IC1  TL074
IC2  PT2399
IC3  78L05

1 RPD in schematic, but not in layout
2 C6 in layout, but not schematic (extra power decoupling?)

I've not double-double-checked this, so all the usual "YMMV" caveats apply!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

BTW!!!  I also noticed that the resistor labelled R12 (bottom left) should be connected to ground on its LHS, not to the base of Q1.  (So the layout is a little wrong!)
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Thanks, bun, for both observations.  Much appreciated.

bluebunny

My bad: obscured trace underneath that resistor, so ignore my "BTW" about R12...

Actually, it's the trace underneath R12 that's the problem: it shorts out C14!

I think the PnP should look like this:

• SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Built.  Made the trace change before I fired it up,  Works.  Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Is it just me, or do 2399-based chorus circuits sound like a modulated short slapback delay?

EBK

They sort of have to, don't they?  Such designs use every trick possible to reduce the delay time, but it is still too long for a real chorus/flange effect, right?

I suppose you could try using a second chip to create a delayed "dry" signal to get closer.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteThey sort of have to, don't they?  Such designs use every trick possible to reduce the delay time, but it is still too long for a real chorus/flange effect, right?
That's how I see it.

Anyone tried interleaving the samples to half the delay?  I seem to remember you couldn't manipulate the clocks but it's a while since Ive looked at it.

Mark Hammer

I wouldn't expect flanging capability, but I was sort of hoping for a thick Pat Metheny sort of chorus, like I used to be able to get on my old blue MXR Digital Delay.

Rob Strand

Notice on the PT2399 the clock frequency when the VCO resistor is made smaller but the clock levels off when the external resistance is zero.  There seems to be an internal resistor around 4kohm in series with the VCO pin.

What if the VCO pin was pulled below the ground rail?   My first expectation is we'd probably only get 0.7V below the the ground rail as it probably has protection diodes.   For an experiment it's probably best to add another resistor (say 1k) in series with the pin to prevent the protections diodes frying; at least until we know there a diode there or not.   But if it goes lower then perhaps we can squeeze more out of it.

Maybe squeeze a bit more by playing with the supply rail and shifting Vref.

anotherjim

I did diode test the 2399 pins. Some show diode to the rails, some don't. Those that do are probably parasitic that are there anyway rather than for protection. The chip is very easy to latch-up with careless handling.

We do know the VCO can be swung via the pin2 reference - what if you tweak that at the same time as minimising the pin6 control? The LA does this but keeps pin2 at average 2.5v with AC coupling from the LFO. You could try adding a DC offset to pin 2 to keep the delay range shorter?

Rob Strand

QuoteI did diode test the 2399 pins. Some show diode to the rails, some don't. Those that do are probably parasitic that are there anyway rather than for protection. The chip is very easy to latch-up with careless handling.
That was quick! Probably not the way to go then.

QuoteWe do know the VCO can be swung via the pin2 reference - what if you tweak that at the same time as minimising the pin6 control? The LA does this but keeps pin2 at average 2.5v with AC coupling from the LFO. You could try adding a DC offset to pin 2 to keep the delay range shorter?
That's probably worth trying.   I suppose it's a matter of how far you can shift it.  Maybe a factor of 2?  which would put things in a better zone from a delay perspective.

My guess is you could permanently shift the Internal VREF.  However if you *only* did that then the DC level at the internal outputs would also drop and you would lose signal swing.   So that can be "undone" by connecting resistors to ground on the inverting input -  the same way the NE570/NE571/NE572's use a low Vref and tweak the DC level on the outputs of the opamps.

The internal points around the opamps are all referenced to Vref so it should work.  Also there's no *internal* points which have analog voltage swings.  The MOD/DEMOD blocks probably have current outputs so they would also work.    So from that I suspect Vref could be shifted without losing signal swing.

The cons relate to the DC shifting.  We can no longer DC couple the PT2399 opamp stages since the DC levels are at VREF on the input side and Vcc/2 on the output side.   That can be fixed by adding AC coupling caps.

EBK

Can you supply your own clock on pin 5?
  • SUPPORTER