Current Lover - Does it need unbuffered 4013 AND 4049?

Started by strungout, July 15, 2019, 04:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

I have a Mad Bean Current Lover on my breadboard. I get really nice flanging... but to get it, I have to go into a 'flanging squeal' territory while calibrating. I know some circuit don't like buffered chips. Is this the case with this circuit? I only had both 4013 and 4049 in 'B' version. I searched but there aren't many Current Lover threads. Probably because the pdf project file is pretty well documented, even has working voltage list. Though it doesn't specify unbuffered or buffered for those chips.

I ordered some more chips, but I didn't pay close attention enough to notice the 4013 I ordered is buffered... Doi. The 4049 will be unbuffered, tho.

Anyway, just checking so I can order unbuffered 4013 if needed. If the chips aren't the problem, I'll keep looking for connection or other issues.

Thanks in advance.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

anotherjim

I don't think there are many 4013 in unbuffered form in the world while the opposite is the case for the 4049. I should think that 4013B and 4049UB are the required combo.

strungout

ok, I'll wait for my order and use that combination and see. Thanks, Jim!

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

DrAlx

A couple of years ago I posted a lots of measurements I took to see the effect of various buffer chips (CD4049UBE, CD4049B, and CD4050B) with the 4013 in this circuit, and compared them to the 4013 on its own.

Units on the graph should be kHz (not MHz)...

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=117938.msg1096479#msg1096479

Notice that the biggest effect on BBD gain is at the higher clock rates.
Even with the highest clock rates used by the Current lover (say 800 kHz) you will be getting less than 1dB improvement in BBD gain.
In other words, you could use the 4013 on its own with no buffer chip and not hear a difference.

strungout

Alex: Ditto. Removed the 4049 from the circuit and I hear no adverse effect. Like it wasn't even there in the first place.